DC Hire at BH - Danny Cowgill from AL

bleedblue

There will be a new face roaming the halls at Barbers Hill today. While it won’t belong to a student, it will still belong to an integral part of the football team.

Danny Cowgill will begin work today at Barbers Hill, where he will assume the defensive coordinator position, under new head coach Tom Westerberg.

“We coached together in the International Bowl a couple of years ago and I really liked his (Cowgill) energy and the system he ran on defense,” Westerberg said. “We stayed in touch and it just happened that he wanted to come to Texas.

“He knows how to win.”

Ironically, also on the 2014 International Bowl coaching staff with Westerberg and Cowgill, was former longtime Lee High School head coach Dick Olin as offensive coordinator.

Cowgill comes to Barbers Hill after spending the previous two seasons as defensive coordinator at Daphne, Alabama. Prior to that, he spent seven seasons at Nease High in in Nease, Florida, four as head coach and the first three as defensive coordinator.

“I’ve been coming to Texas for a while with USA Football and I have a lot of real good friends who coach in Texas and I know football is great in the state,” Cowgill said. “Texas high school football is the pinnacle of the sport. Now I’ll get a chance to see for myself

13 minutes ago, Scatright said:

I am telling you all, watch out for the Hill.

I think he's going to need an adjustment period just like Westeberg will. The guy just came from a place where he was coaching SEC-type defenders on a regular basis. He was coaching LB's going to Alabama that are the same size as BH's lineman. Not to mention the guys he was coaching got to practice against 5-stars like Jacksonville Jaguars running back T.J. Yeldon in high school. I think he'll instill some swagger in them that they've been missing though. I just wonder if you're already giving up 20+ with that type of talent against what we would consider antiquated offenses, how you adjust to more complicated schemes with talent a few tiers below? 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I think he's going to need an adjustment period just like Westeberg will. The guy just came from a place where he was coaching SEC-type defenders on a regular basis. He was coaching LB's going to Alabama that are the same size as BH's lineman. Not to mention the guys he was coaching got to practice against 5-stars like Jacksonville Jaguars running back T.J. Yeldon in high school. I think he'll instill some swagger in them that they've been missing though. I just wonder if you're already giving up 20+ with that type of talent against what we would consider antiquated offenses, how you adjust to more complicated schemes with talent a few tiers below? 

Before I say this, I feel like I need to say that I have been a huge supported of Crosby in recent years. Just FYI

I sense some serious jealousy in some Crosby posters when the subject of Barbers Hill comes up. Crosby has been the belle of the ball the past few years, and they have had the most talked about coaching staff in that district. Now, BH makes some HUGE coaching moves and builds an indoor facility and Crosby can't stand it. I'd bet that BH challenges for the district title this upcoming season. I feel pretty confident in that fact.

19 minutes ago, Scatright said:

Before I say this, I feel like I need to say that I have been a huge supported of Crosby in recent years. Just FYI

I sense some serious jealousy in some Crosby posters when the subject of Barbers Hill comes up. Crosby has been the belle of the ball the past few years, and they have had the most talked about coaching staff in that district. Now, BH makes some HUGE coaching moves and builds an indoor facility and Crosby can't stand it. I'd bet that BH challenges for the district title this upcoming season. I feel pretty confident in that fact.

I think that's far from the case. I've said pretty much the exact same thing about Dayton, except without regards to the previously players they've coached. Nobody is on Porter right now, I think they have a very good shot at being a playoff team because of the coaching moves they've made. I think KP will finish second in the district, not necessarily because of the coaching moves, but because IMO Maple is building something sustainable with talent well inside the top half of the district.

In all, BH is probably paying in excess of $300k per year to have Westeberg down here. I hope they win games at a better clip for the strength of the district. Except for Dayton, everybody has nice fields, stadiums, replay boards, etc. BH is something like 1-9 their last 10 meeting with Crosby and Dayton, most of those games have been blowouts. I think you see that sentiment expressed more than what you are calling jealousy, to say they immediately compete for district championships because of a coaching change without knowing how a coach will adjust to the talent level tells me you haven't watched the product they've been putting on the field recently.

Crosby/Dayton at the top

BH/KP/Porter fighting for the last two spots.

Dayton will field a ton of seniors this year and football participation is way up going into the 2016 season

BH has never lacked solid athletes, but certainly will need more flavor to compete with the top of the class in this district. Has been this way for as long as I can remember and I've been watching this district like a hawk since 2004. BH was very limited over the last 4-5 years because of poor style of coaching. You show me a wing T, slot T or any version of "run heavy" offense where two or more backs are used 30-40 times a game and I'll show u a team that can't keep up at the 5a level. This is not 1987 any more. Stewart brought the single back set to southeast Texas a long time ago and this year I think you will see BH began to become familiar with the system but not DC ready....give it 2-4 more years and I predict some athletes will start moving in as BH continues to grow (3rd fastest growing area in the state of Tx). The old adage, if you build it, they will come. They'll come Ray. - But not from Iowa. LOL

BH reported 1527 for this re-alignment.  6A is 2150 and up now.  It will be interesting to watch.  I can't imagine moving up at the 2018 shift but who knows. 

I think 2-4 years is more accurate for BH to compete hard - but the foundation is being laid.  I've heard that a few true athletes that had left the program are back in with the coaching changes.  That will help.

7 hours ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

How long will it be before BH has to make the bump up to 6A?

I think they will be a different team no doubt but will lack the BIG play make needed to make noise. 2-3 years if they stay in 5A but will start all over again when that 6A comes calling.

Silent network says BHISD will build another high school off of I-10 on a 40 acre tract for students from Beach City,Cove,Old River community

40 minutes ago, GCMinTheFuture said:
13 hours ago, liltex said:

Silent network says BHISD will build another high school off of I-10 on a 40 acre tract for students from Beach City,Cove,Old River community

Liltex must be hearing voices....:)

20 hours ago, MOSSHILL said:

Crosby/Dayton at the top

BH/KP/Porter fighting for the last two spots.

Dayton will field a ton of seniors this year and football participation is way up going into the 2016 season

BH has never lacked solid athletes, but certainly will need more flavor to compete with the top of the class in this district. Has been this way for as long as I can remember and I've been watching this district like a hawk since 2004. BH was very limited over the last 4-5 years because of poor style of coaching. You show me a wing T, slot T or any version of "run heavy" offense where two or more backs are used 30-40 times a game and I'll show u a team that can't keep up at the 5a level. This is not 1987 any more. Stewart brought the single back set to southeast Texas a long time ago and this year I think you will see BH began to become familiar with the system but not DC ready....give it 2-4 more years and I predict some athletes will start moving in as BH continues to grow (3rd fastest growing area in the state of Tx). The old adage, if you build it, they will come. They'll come Ray. - But not from Iowa. LOL

George Ranch ran the ball 53 time in the state title game and threw it 6 times. When we lost to Cedar Park a couple of years ago in the semis, they ran it 48 times and threw it 4. When we los to #6 Elgin the year before that they ran it 73 times and threw it 8. It can be done if you have the players to do it. It's not 1987 but the same principles still apply, you're probably going to be the most successful if you run the ball and play defense like Cedar Park, George Ranch, Katy, etc.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

George Ranch ran the ball 53 time in the state title game and threw it 6 times. When we lost to Cedar Park a couple of years ago in the semis, they ran it 48 times and threw it 4. When we los to #6 Elgin the year before that they ran it 73 times and threw it 8. It can be done if you have the players to do it. It's not 1987 but the same principles still apply, you're probably going to be the most successful if you run the ball and play defense like Cedar Park, George Ranch, Katy, etc.

There are exceptions to every rule. You hit the nail on the head above and I'd like to see more balance but that's not what the HC's in this particular district find fitting for their programs. I'm a spread guy but also would not mind pounding it between tackles if I had some studs in the trenches.

35 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Easy...tap the brakes bud.  I agree, Katy was good this year....but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Being able to run doesn't equate to points on the board. I was careful with my verbage. LOL

I know coach has been working one on one with the QB's. There are quite a few playing this year that didn't play last year. The big question mark is who is going to emerge as the varsity QB next year. We'll be fine, I don't know about a DC, but there are some kids in our program that will keep BH competitive and hopefully grabbing a playoff spot. As a fan and parent of a kid in the program, I'm just looking forward to a new direction and excited to see what we can do. The rest will fall into place. Spring football will help the coaches gauge what they have to work with and go from there.

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Katy would be lucky to get a first down on a D2 school.  Katy's punter...if they have a punter...would sweat for the first time all season.

I got Katy over Benedict College by 10. 

20 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

I got Katy over Benedict College by 10. 

Surely you jest.  Katy would get embarrassed by them or anyone else playing next level football.  

I don't know how many college football players Katy has...but I know how many Benedict College has.  Every kid on the roster.  Katy may have some kids committed D1 with some lower level commits in there too...but BC has a roster full of grown men that were literally studs on their high school teams...plus 3 or 4 years of getting bigger, stronger, and faster.  I'll take a team FULL of 22 year old D2 and D3 kids over a team FULL of 16-17 year old kids with SOME D1 commits every day of the week.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Surely you jest.  Katy would get embarrassed by them or anyone else playing next level football.  

I don't know how many college football players Katy has...but I know how many Benedict College has.  Every kid on the roster.  Katy may have some kids committed D1 with some lower level commits in there too...but BC has a roster full of grown men that were literally studs on their high school teams...plus 3 or 4 years of getting bigger, stronger, and faster.  I'll take a team FULL of 22 year old D2 and D3 kids over a team FULL of 16-17 year old kids with SOME D1 commits every day of the week.

You know I like to get you all stirred up OS. Keeps your heart pumping. You deserve a little backlash, ever so often with as much people coming at your from all angles, I figure......Why not join the crowd?

Katy is a system. The kids buy in. Most don't excel at the collegiate level, exception a few good lineman and ole' ReD over there last few years. I believe they had 8 commits from the Offense and 4 from the defense.

Back to the topic of discussion......BH will be relevant in 2-3 years. Not all related to the hiring of this new staff but also due to the area developing around Mont Belvieu. It's inevitable and as soon as they become the big 5a with a little mixture/flavor as I call it, then it's time to start paying close attention to things going on at the Hill.

They can, They Will......They are Barbers Hill. And like I said, "if you build it, they will come" - They just won't come from Iowa.