Greatest Team in SE Texas

Since someone posted the topic of greatest coach I'm just curious the boards thoughts on the greatest team. Feel free to point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed. 

For me it was the 2003-2004 Kountze Lions. Keithan Hancock was unguardable that season even set the record for 3's in a game. They blew through district and until late in the playoffs won most games by 30-40 points. And as one of the smallest 3A's schools in the state I think they wont the state championship that year by about 25. 

Honorable mention the previous years Ozen Panthers. 

Just because Mr. Young was so fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, HSbballFan said:

Since someone posted the topic of greatest coach I'm just curious the boards thoughts on the greatest team. Feel free to point me in the right direction if this has already been discussed. 

For me it was the 2003-2004 Kountze Lions. Keithan Hancock was unguardable that season even set the record for 3's in a game. They blew through district and until late in the playoffs won most games by 30-40 points. And as one of the smallest 3A's schools in the state I think they wont the state championship that year by about 25. 

Honorable mention the previous years Ozen Panthers. 

Just because Mr. Young was so fun to watch. 

2003-04 KOUNTZE? Are you serious? woooooow....Our 2001 Ozen team that went 36-0 could have won state at ANY classification....Could Kountze? Let me answer that, HECK NO! Come on, man!

11 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

After that I would have to say 1995 PA Lincoln....then 1991 PA Lincoln...But definitely 2001 Ozen has to be considered as THE best SE Texas team EVER....

12 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

2003-04 KOUNTZE? Are you serious? woooooow....Our 2001 Ozen team that went 36-0 could have won state at ANY classification....Could Kountze? Let me answer that, HECK NO! Come on, man!

I would have to agree DV ,but the Hebert teams with Boutte have to be in top 5 .

Undefeated Ozen team has to be mentioned along with several of the 80’s PA Lincoln teams.  However, as I was reading through the book written by Charles Breithaupt “Press On” about the 1991 Hardin-Jefferson team Todd Sutherland is quoted in the book saying, “This was the best team I have ever been around and I have been blessed to be around some great teams.  I told my wife Jenny, ‘Don’t get used to this.  This team is not normal.’ “

51 minutes ago, Drango1 said:

Undefeated Ozen team has to be mentioned along with several of the 80’s PA Lincoln teams.  However, as I was reading through the book written by Charles Breithaupt “Press On” about the 1991 Hardin-Jefferson team Todd Sutherland is quoted in the book saying, “This was the best team I have ever been around and I have been blessed to be around some great teams.  I told my wife Jenny, ‘Don’t get used to this.  This team is not normal.’ “

NO. The 1991 HJ team was a VERY good team...However, they were still a 3A team...They would have been beaten by that 1991 Lincoln team by 20+...You cannot place them in the same category with the Ozen, Lincoln, and Hebert teams...Not even close...They were very good though, don't get me wrong, but in a different class from the SE Texas great ones.

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

that was a hell of kountze team but not the best ever in setx maybe top 10...    probably could of won it all the way up to 4A that year. lost to 5A state Champion Houston Milby   at the montagne center in a playoff preview by 10 

15 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

2011 Ozen and 1995 PA Lincoln would beat 2003/04 Kountze by 30 and 1991 Hardin Jefferson by 20. Also those early 80s Hebert teams were solid!

2001 Ozen...but I get the message loud and clear and THEY know it too! We would have BLOWN those smaller teams OUT...Including the 1991 Hardin Jefferson squad...We would have beaten them worse than that! We actually DID beat the 2001 Kountze team that was VERY good too by 20, WITHOUT Perk (injured in the 1st quarter of the game) when we both #1 in our respective classes..People kill me when they forget how good those old teams REALLY were...SMH...How could they even try to compare 91 HJ to 91 Lincoln? Seriously?

5 minutes ago, Acres53 said:

Earl Evans  Bumblebee teams of 73-74

They were really good teams from Port Arthur...But Coach Gamble said it himself...The BEST Lincoln team was the 95 team that featured Stephen Jackson (NBA) and Keith Harris (Tulane). They had it ALL. Next he said, was the 1991 Lincoln team featuring Kelvin McKyer and Xavier Hinton.. His 1988 Team that had BJ Tyler was up there with those two teams as well. But to put 3A HJ in the conversation is just crazy...They were good, but not in the same league.

18 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

They were really good teams from Port Arthur...But Coach Gamble said it himself...The BEST Lincoln team was the 95 team that featured Stephen Jackson (NBA) and Keith Harris (Tulane). They had it ALL. Next he said, was the 1991 Lincoln team featuring Kelvin McKyer and Xavier Hinton.. His 1988 Team that had BJ Tyler was up there with those two teams as well. But to put 3A HJ in the conversation is just crazy...They were good, but not in the same league.

You can compare them. Clearly cosch sutherland thinks you can and I would say he is fairly knowledgeable!

9 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Kountze had some solid teams but no small school can compare to Lincoln teams of the 70s, 80s, and mid 90s. Ozen 2001 was amazing in there own right. The only team I think that could have beat 2001 Ozen would be 2008 Yates!

And THEY would have had major problem with us, because of our size and outstanding guard play. WE were a TOUGH out....36-0...lol

Coach told me Earl (HS All American; #2 ranked college recruit behind Moses Malone went to USC /UNLV was the most unstoppable force he had ever seen and you throw in Keller, Eli, Trahan, Dennis and the role players I don't see Steve's team beating them jmo. But I'll pick Coach brain next time I talk to him. 

1 minute ago, Acres53 said:

Coach told me Earl (HS All American; #2 ranked college recruit behind Moses Malone went to USC /UNLV was the most unstoppable force he had ever seen and you throw in Keller, Eli, Trahan, Dennis and the role players I don't see Steve's team beating them jmo. But I'll pick Coach brain next time I talk to him. 

Stevie could play all 5 positions, plus that depth on that team was so good.  Earl was a great talent, but Stevie was a PRO. Plus his supporting cast may have been better.

4 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Keith Harris and Stephen Jackson were beast. Silsbee beat then once that year without Jackson in Lincoln. Silsbee post of Willie Jones, Donyell Allen, Tyrell Davis and Russell Whitmore all played very strong vs Lincoln that year.

They were actually undefeated with Stevie in uniform...they lost three games (Silsbee, Houston Episcopal, & West Brook) when Stevie was out with old house bill 72...(NO PASS NO PLAY) LOL....They beat Silsbee that year in the regional final.

2 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

NO. The 1991 HJ team was a VERY good team...However, they were still a 3A team...They would have been beaten by that 1991 Lincoln team by 20+...You cannot place them in the same category with the Ozen, Lincoln, and Hebert teams...Not even close...They were very good though, don't get me wrong, but in a different class from the SE Texas great ones.

DV- I was present at the Beehive when the two 91 teams scrimmaged each other.  There was no twenty point difference

Just now, stevenash said:

DV- I was present at the Beehive when the two 91 teams scrimmaged each other.  There was no twenty point difference

Honestly. Do you REALLY think if HJ played that Lincoln team 5 times that season, would HJ had even beaten them ONCE?  I say NO and they would all been double digit HJ losses. What do you think?