2015 Willie Ray Smith Finalists

WOSgrad

D.Thomas would be my choice for individual offensive performance,Those are Cody Green 2008 numbers(16 games though state finalist=signed w/Nebraska & started(2008=5,628 yds 67 tds & Thomas didn't play 16 games)and I am a JD fan.Shame WRS doesn't have a MVP-Offense-Defense award(Just like Jalen Hurts/Channelview=offered by Alabama was stated by many (at Preview Shows as the best Qb in Setxsports coverage area,my two cents.Not taking nothing from JD performance w/state finalist/state champ resume'(1st team all-state) but WOS defense had a big hand@getting it done.I know west of the Trinity doesn't qualify=but if it did would JD's performance outshine Micah Long (Qb @ North Shore w/6a state title? And yes=JD has an excellant chance to lead WOS to 3 straight to the title game=Nobody land as far as Setxsports coverage area has accomplished that feat,voters have a tuff job

All the QB talk is really neck and neck either kid is deserving, I gotta go with JACK DALLAS. On defense though there is no doubt Innis Gaines is the BEST defensive player in SETX. Played free safety led the only 6A district in Tackles, TFL, INT's, and Def TDs. According to the article he had 130+ Tackles and 56 TFL as a Free Safety and ball hawked the passing game. He dominated every inch of the field, from -3 in the backfield to 50 yards downfield he stopped everything offenses tried to do. Props to the West Orange LB but the Gaines kid is unreal, cant wait to watch him next season on saturdays. Personally never saw West orange kid except the state championship, his team Defense stood out but he didnt individually. Gaines jumped out of the 3 games I went to and his stats are godly.

The only thing Jack Dallas has over Dontre is a state title. Which is an AMAZING accomplishment by the way!!

but, all I heard all year was "chain gang" defense. And that's a big reason why they won it all.

Silsbees defense was horrible in my opinion, and that's why they didn't make it to state. You have to look at the bigger picture. Saying that JD is better than DT because he won a championship doesn't make sense whenever you considered the defenses that these two teams had. Defense wins championships right?? 

DT was the better athlete! You can argue that JD was the better qb, but when it comes to individual performance, DT did it all. His stats are crazy.

I can see your point However, having played on a State Champ team there is something about the swagger of a winning qb -- the throw/run when you need it, etc... I'll take Dallas as a gamer over anyone I can think of in recent years. 

THE LEADER of the State Champions bottom line!  kindda like Terry Bradshaw  took a lot of flak but a fist full of Super Bowl rings too

52 minutes ago, Whoa said:

I can see your point However, having played on a State Champ team there is something about the swagger of a winning qb -- the throw/run when you need it, etc... I'll take Dallas as a gamer over anyone I can think of in recent years. 

THE LEADER of the State Champions bottom line!  kindda like Terry Bradshaw  took a lot of flak but a fist full of Super Bowl rings too

But never won MVP of League. ;)

still stand by my statement that a leader as qb in most valuable. 

Bad thing about awards based on opinion vs say batting ave. ERA, etc...we can debate all day.  Kinda like Obama  everyone seems to dislike him BUT they voted him into office every time he has been eligible.

JS 

Ok, lets put an asterisk by Dallas name. Knowing you don't have to score many points because of how good your defense is. Now, let me put it to you like the WOS fateful has put it "if Jack Dallas was to get hurt and not be able to play we would just put in another player at QB and still win games".  If you can do that, replace the QB, and still win where does the strength in that team lie on. The defense! In Silsbee we were not supposed to be that good this year. We had three returning, two linemen and a WR. If Thomas was to get hurt we would have not went as far as we did. So our strength was in our offense with Thomas leading the way.

Just saying

36 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Ok, lets put an asterisk by Dallas name. Knowing you don't have to score many points because of how good your defense is. Now, let me put it to you like the WOS fateful has put it "if Jack Dallas was to get hurt and not be able to play we would just put in another player at QB and still win games".  If you can do that, replace the QB, and still win where does the strength in that team lie on. The defense! In Silsbee we were not supposed to be that good this year. We had three returning, two linemen and a WR. If Thomas was to get hurt we would have not went as far as we did. So our strength was in our offense with Thomas leading the way.

Just saying

If that was the lone case, Kendrick King would be a walk away winner

56 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Just saying

So Dontre deserves the trophy because the Silsbee defense stunk?  Nice.  

How many games was JD unable to win?  One.  How many games was DT unable to win? Three. Who led their team to the State Championship?  JD.  I actually went to Silsbee's homecoming... I was there when Silsbee dropped that game to Huffman.   JD's season didn't have a "Huffman game."  

The ONLY offensive starter that returned this year and then led his team to a State Championship.  That's a stud QB.  Sorry if maybe he doesn't run as fast as DT or jump as high as DT whatever, but there's no doubt that JD is the clear winner in this category.  

Now, if they had a "who got the most boneheaded unsportsmanlike conduct penalties award," we all agree that Silsbee would be the undisputed champion.  

Thomas and King should be front runners because of how much they ment to their teams. I would give the nod to Thomas because he is a one year full time starter at QB. What Thomas did over the summer to get better, to make himself better is second to nun in this area.  I don't know where Thomas season ranks in the state of Texas, but here in the Golden Triangle or SETX it's  the best I can remember.   I would love to find out if someone knows. 

Lol the WOS faithful gotta love them but lets be honest here Jack Dallas not even the best player on his team let alone in the area you guys are basing why he should win off a state championship....NEWS FLASH this an individual award...

Even better lets use this analogy...if Dontre played for WOS would WOS still have won state? Probably so, if JD played for Silsbee would Silsbee have made it to the first round? Probably not, saying that to say that JD is a product of great talent around him I've watched him play many times and I definitely wouldn't consider him one of the best QB's to play at WOS thats just me though.

As is usually the case, there will be three deserving finalists on each side of the ball that go without the award, but yet the winner will be one that no one can argue with.  I know that some just can't help themselves, but trying to tear down the accomplishments of one to make the case for another really is not in the spirit of the award.

All of these young men, on either side of the ball, can have a compelling case made for them.  Let us celebrate their successes and the accomplishments that brought them to this point.

26 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

As is usually the case, there will be three deserving finalists on each side of the ball that go without the award, but yet the winner will be one that no one can argue with.  I know that some just can't help themselves, but trying to tear down the accomplishments of one to make the case for another really is not in the spirit of the award.

All of these young men, on either side of the ball, can have a compelling case made for them.  Let us celebrate their successes and the accomplishments that brought them to this point.

With you being a lawyer I would figure you'd have a better argument than this...the only person that deserves this award on the offensive side is Dontre. And the numbers back that up, Jack Dallas had a good season but I definitely wouldn't consider him one of the best QB's in the area let alone the best offensive player lets just be honest here he is a great game manager surrounded by a ton of talent kind of like Alabama QB's. I guess Coker should win individual awards over Deshaun Watson because he won the natty right? Smh the WOS homers never cease to amaze me lol

1 hour ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol the WOS faithful gotta love them but lets be honest here Jack Dallas not even the best player on his team let alone in the area you guys are basing why he should win off a state championship....NEWS FLASH this an individual award...

Even better lets use this analogy...if Dontre played for WOS would WOS still have won state? Probably so, if JD played for Silsbee would Silsbee have made it to the first round? Probably not, saying that to say that JD is a product of great talent around him I've watched him play many times and I definitely wouldn't consider him one of the best QB's to play at WOS thats just me though.

DT wouldn't play QB at WOS....