Willie Ray Smith Award

PNG1977

5 minutes ago, PNG1977 said:

Press conference tomorrow to announce the finalists...does anyone know how many people vote?  And who does everyone think will be finalists for offense and defense?

There will be 4 finalists for offense and 4 finalists for defense.

There is around 30 voters and I am one of them.

23 hours ago, Whoa said:

IMO there is no REAL clear cut guy  couple of good Qbs, many good Rbs on the Oside

Defense - cant think of a Tony Brown type stand out this year.  The soph db from WOS is strong

Seniors only right?

There was a defensive standout. Innis Gaines Safety at West Brook. Led a Stout defense in tackles had like 5-6 picks took 3 of them to the house (one against state champion North Shore) blocked two kicks and a punt block. Took a missed FG 100+ yds against Ozen and led the team in tackles. Had 23 Tackles 4 TFL 4 PBUs 1 INT 1 FF  against PA, dominated the game against Deer Park with like 18 Tackles also according to the teams website. And the 6 A Defensive MVP in a district with North Shore who won state by shutting out every one with Defense in the playoffs and had 2 kids committed to LSU on the squad. Those coaches who coached the LSU commits still voted to make Gaines the Defensive MVP. I'd say that stands out way more than Tony Brown was. Brown had games without even making tackles or breaking up passes playing 5A ball, and was Tony Brown even Defensive MVP in that district b/c I think it was the DL kid from Nederland that year. Not to mention Rose WR kid at PNG balled on Tony his Senior Year. The Gaines kid balled out and dominated every game played in a tough ass 6A district.

thanks JG that put it in perspective on the D side

I am all over Dallas the WOS kid - think about it last year a state game in FB as a qb/  state game as a pitcher in baseball

Then this year wins the State FB game.  And he won the wiffle ball tury too.

I'm not a WOS fan (geaux dawgs) but the db that ran a couple punts back Tims maybe? Strong

voters may not want 2 from the same school  you could argue big time for them!!

7 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Also note these schools did not nominate anyone.

Offense
High Island, Hull-Daisetta, Kountze, Liberty, Newton, Sabine Pass, Vidor, Warren

Defense
Hardin-Jefferson, High Island, Hull-Daisetta, Jasper, Kountze, Liberty, Newton, Ozen, PNG, Sabine Pass, Vidor, Warren, West Sabine, 

The PNG games I saw this year that linebacker Rembert was everywhere, at least worthy of a nomination.  Did he play every game or miss some due to injury?