Texas at Iowa St

UTfanatic

Because if Iowa State wins a game against Texas it is something to crow about regardless of current programs state of affairs - reverse that and if Iowa State loses to Texas it is how it should be no story there really for either team.   

So you are saying that every team that beats Texas should crow, regardless 

So you are saying that every team that beats Texas should crow, regardless 

Texas is still living of their past reputation while the last several years has not supported that argument the fact is that ALL teams still like to beat Texas.  That will be around a few more years even if Texas does not get back "on top" year in and year out.  As I have stated numerous times in the past it is my opinion that the Texas of old and I mean the teams that dominated the state and several times the nation will be fewer and further between because the playing field has leveled out quite a bit.  Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU and likely even TT and Houston now have more competitive teams and facilities.   So if there is Texas domination in the future will not be anything like the teams from the past in terms of multiple consecutive years.

But right now Texas has a serious W- L to almost all teams they have faced on a regular basis and yes all teams want to beat the Horns.

Texas is still living of their past reputation while the last several years has not supported that argument the fact is that ALL teams still like to beat Texas.  That will be around a few more years even if Texas does not get back "on top" year in and year out.  As I have stated numerous times in the past it is my opinion that the Texas of old and I mean the teams that dominated the state and several times the nation will be fewer and further between because the playing field has leveled out quite a bit.  Baylor, Texas A&M, TCU and likely even TT and Houston now have more competitive teams and facilities.   So if there is Texas domination in the future will not be anything like the teams from the past in terms of multiple consecutive years.

But right now Texas has a serious W- L to almost all teams they have faced on a regular basis and yes all teams want to beat the Horns.

I know that is your hope and I guess it depends on your definition.  If you are arguing Texas won't return the dominance of 60-70s, maybe.  If you are arguing they won't return to the success of the last decade, I think that is wishful thinking.  Texas is and will be the flagship of a football crazy state.  

A&M has had the upper hand at times, most notably during a stretch in the mid 80s thru mid 90s.  And then the right guy came in and after a struggle, climbed to the top of the mountain, while spending most of a decade as a 10+ win, top 5 team.  

Baylor and TCU simply don't have the support or resources to stay above Texas or A&M for a sustainable period.  Hell, if Patterson had chosen to play his cards differently, Briles would already be gone at Baylor.  

And, as much as you don't like to hear it, Texas is a national brand, and more so than any other school, the national brand.  It's why schools like LSU who don't and haven't played except on rare occasions, still have an animosity towards Texas (I use LSU as an example because of examples on this board).  If you don't believe me about the brand, ask Nike, Under Armour, ABC/Disney/ESPN, or any other partner who pays (or are willing to pay) Texas more than any other school.  It's not because they have a soft spot. It's because of the Texas marquee.  

Go to New York City, LA, Atlanta, Chicago.  I have and almost invariably see people in Texas gear.  I always try, time permitting, to inquire about their affiliation to the school.  The vast majority of the time, they are just fans and have no other tie to the school or the state (or t shirt fans as aggy would disdainfully call them).  

So, while you are correct that the landscape has changed (who would have ever thought Baylor and TCU would be top 5 teams, much less at the same time), there are just certain schools that are a hire away from being a perineal powerhouse.  USC is one of those schools IMO.  And Texas is definitely one of those schools.  The only question remains is if Charlie Strong is/was that hire...

Every thread does not need to turn into a UT v. aTm debate.

That said, I think Texas wins this week.

I agree and I am at fault here - so I am sorry.

But I cannot get away without a small comment - Never said Texas would not be back just that they will have a hard time being a "perineal powerhouse" again - but only time will tell.

I agree and I am at fault here - so I am sorry.

But I cannot get away without a small comment - Never said Texas would not be back just that they will have a hard time being a "perineal powerhouse" again - but only time will tell.

The 60's and 70's with no scholarship limits and Texas getting every player aren't coming back.  The best players now want to play as freshman and there are multiple options now in state that allow that to happen.  

The 60's and 70's with no scholarship limits and Texas getting every player aren't coming back.  The best players now want to play as freshman and there are multiple options now in state that allow that to happen.  

and out of state- Boise St., Utah, Toledo, Memphis, Temple, etc....

Texas was late to the new age of football. 

all of which existed in the last decade too.  But it is good for everyone to have hope.  

all of which existed in the last decade too.  But it is good for everyone to have hope.  

You may be right but I do not think so - you used USC as an example - man look at their W-L history and take out the Pete Carroll years and they actually have just an average W-L history - it kinda funny they have more NC's but also many more 6 and 7 win seasons.  

Texas fans think they are entitled to be the best program in the state cause they have the history and I think that in today's time that is going to be harder and harder to obtain - just like I do not think that A&M is the only "heir apparent" or team to benefit from this cause there are several  but that the wealth will be spread out over several teams with Texas now just being one of them.  Really that has been proven out with the more recent history as during the 80's and 90's A&M has a better W-L history than the Horns most years - then Texas came back in the 2000's and reclaimed the title - but in he 2010's Texas has taken a back seat to A&M, Baylor and TCU (some years) with really Baylor and TCU taking charge.   

But we can argue this all day loan and only time will tell us who is right.

Edited by OldTimer

Oh my bad.  I thought Stoops dominated that decade winning 6 conference titles.  I guess I misremembered 

Again, sometimes you can't fix, well, some people.  Let's see Sport, in the 10 years from 2000-2009, Texas won 110 games (averaging 11 wins a year - yeah, prob need to spell that out for you), finished in the top 5 five times, top 7 2 times, and never lower than 13th.  They were 7-3 in bowl games.  They won more national championships (1) than your school has in your lifetime and played for another (which you also haven't experienced).  

Now, I know aggy always uses the old conference championship argument.  And I know these are as elusive to you as Natty's are to real schools.  But give it a rest when you try to say Texas wasn't dominant during that decade.  Unless you are trying to contribute to the stereotype that aggy really is an embecile.  In which case, please continue!!

You may be right but I do not think so - you used USC as an example - man look at their W-L history and take out the Pete Carroll years and they actually have just an average W-L history - it kinda funny they have more NC's but also many more 6 and 7 win seasons.  

Texas fans think they are entitled to be the best program in the state cause they have the history and I think that in today's time that is going to be harder and harder to obtain - just like I do not think that A&M is the only "heir apparent" or team to benefit from this cause there are several  but that the wealth will be spread out over several teams with Texas now just being one of them.  Really that has been proven out with the more recent history as during the 80's and 90's A&M has a better W-L history than the Horns most years - then Texas came back in the 2000's and reclaimed the title - but in he 2010's Texas has taken a back seat to A&M, Baylor and TCU (some years) with really Baylor and TCU taking charge.   

But we can argue this all day loan and only time will tell us who is right.

You, on the other hand, actually make sense with your argument.  You must have missed the class which teaches to make statements void of logic and reason.  

BUT, you actually make my point for me regarding USC.  What did I say?  With the right coach, they can be dominant again. You say take out the Pete Carroll years.  But that is my point.  During his stretch, they probably had the most dominant run of this short century, winning 2 NCs in a row and were a last minute touchdown by Texas away from the never before accomplished 3 peat.  In that stretch, they merely won 34 in a row...

You, on the other hand, actually make sense with your argument.  You must have missed the class which teaches to make statements void of logic and reason.  

BUT, you actually make my point for me regarding USC.  What did I say?  With the right coach, they can be dominant again. You say take out the Pete Carroll years.  But that is my point.  During his stretch, they probably had the most dominant run of this short century, winning 2 NCs in a row and were a last minute touchdown by Texas away from the never before accomplished 3 peat.  In that stretch, they merely won 34 in a row...

They were....."THE BEST TEAM E-V-E-R".....and who beat them? It's somebody I know....don't tell me.

Carroll is a good coach, no doubt.....well maybe a little. He calls some dumb plays sometimes, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. He also left town before the NCAA could catch up to him.

Back on topic.....I hate playing Iowa State. Gives me fits!

I used to live and die with every play.........had horrible weeks when UT lost. (When I was younger I had far fewer bad weeks than here recently). BUT, I guess I have come to realize it is just a game.

I hope UT wins......OldTimer, good luck to you and your guys

Eagle11 have a very good friend that is my age that is still that way - when Oklahoma loses you do not want to be around him as he is mopey and a sourpuss - you appear to have outgrown that phase as we all need to remember that it is just a game and won't really change out lives one way or the other.  I have not been that bad for many many years now but since I am very competitive and hate to lose in just about anything sometimes members like GCMPats have to help me out and remind me that it is just a game and A&M is just a college and there are many more important things on my plate and in life.

I now hope that whatever game I am watching that nobody is seriously hurt - and well that A&M wins and Texas loses as it makes posting on this site much more fun :)

Again, sometimes you can't fix, well, some people.  Let's see Sport, in the 10 years from 2000-2009, Texas won 110 games (averaging 11 wins a year - yeah, prob need to spell that out for you), finished in the top 5 five times, top 7 2 times, and never lower than 13th.  They were 7-3 in bowl games.  They won more national championships (1) than your school has in your lifetime and played for another (which you also haven't experienced).  

Now, I know aggy always uses the old conference championship argument.  And I know these are as elusive to you as Natty's are to real schools.  But give it a rest when you try to say Texas wasn't dominant during that decade.  Unless you are trying to contribute to the stereotype that aggy really is an embecile.  In which case, please continue!!

2 conference championships in 10 years is pretty impressive. You won twice as many as A&M or 1 more, but you can say twice as many if that makes you feel better.  

It is kinda funny that now you don't want to include conference titles but always trash A&M for their standing in the SEC West.  In 2012 when the Ags finish 5th in the country, all you talk about is them finishing 5th in the SEC.  I guess whatever fits your narrative at the time. 

2 conference championships in 10 years is pretty impressive. You won twice as many as A&M or 1 more, but you can say twice as many if that makes you feel better.  

It is kinda funny that now you don't want to include conference titles but always trash A&M for their standing in the SEC West.  In 2012 when the Ags finish 5th in the country, all you talk about is them finishing 5th in the SEC.  I guess whatever fits your narrative at the time. 

From 2000 to 20009, A&M played in the Big 12 Championship ZERO times, much less won one.  Is this another one of your imaginary championships?  I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you pal. #pathetic

1 national championship 

playing for another

and getting screwed in 2008 for bcs

I don't see a lot of Longhorns touting conference championships.  Once you win the big one well everything changes.