Racist or Nah, Atascocita and Summer Creek

CougarCal

What bout the pineapple? 

That was meant to be offensive to Samoans, just in case they had any.  They had to cover all of their bases to make sure that everyone got their panties in a knot. I am surprised that they didn't put in some pork summer sausage just in case there were any Jews. 

I guess it was a good thing that there were no celery sticks or vegetarians would have been outraged or if they had placed beef jerky in the basket then Sasquatch would have been butt hurt. 

I suppose if you are looking for a reason to be offended, if you look hard enough at many situations you can find it where nothing of ill intent existed. 

sad52.gif

That's the best post I've seen you make on here. I don't like watermelon either, and I don't really like or eat fried chicken for health reasons. The coconut is in reference to monkeys. 

The initial gift I'm sure were kids playing around and it probably shouldn't have been seen as anything more than than a joke, I know my son would have thought so. 

Unfortunately that's not what happened though. What ever group of students the gift was given to, probably as a gag, felt offended. One of the downsides to "progress" is that trivial issues like this are magnified. You can't really argue if it is or isn't though, somebody was offended and somebody was suspended. 

Good post. I think it's also very likely that the kids that received the gift weren't offended, but the adults after the fact were. I also think the undertones were 100% intended. Stupid move by the kids IMO. I wonder if they always take a pic with the good sportsmanship gift in hand before the game...

Edited by dayton

True story.....my boss is a health nut....he always brings fruit to share with us...all organic and he grows it himself.......one day he brought in watermelon.........instead of offering it like he always does.....he sat it in our kitchen area with a sign "Take a slice".......as a joke, I aksed, "How do you know I didn't want any watermelon"....he replied "I didn't know how to ask you, didn't want to offend you"....WTF? It's not that serious people.

Good post. I think it's also very likely that the kids that received the gift weren't offended, but the adults after the fact were. I also think the undertones were 100% intended. Stupid move by the kids IMO. I wonder if they always take a pic with the good sportsmanship gift in hand before the game...

Exactly.  It was the adults not the kids starting the uproar.  As far as intent, you can't measure their intent unless you are a mind reader.

That was meant to be offensive to Samoans, just in case they had any.  They had to cover all of their bases to make sure that everyone got their panties in a knot. I am surprised that they didn't put in some pork summer sausage just in case there were any Jews. 

I guess it was a good thing that there were no celery sticks or vegetarians would have been outraged or if they had placed beef jerky in the basket then Sasquatch would have been butt hurt. 

I suppose if you are looking for a reason to be offended, if you look hard enough at many situations you can find it where nothing of ill intent existed. 

sad52.gif

Well in that case they forgot the crackers. To cover all bases. Its all rediculious IMO. 

Funny story about pineapple. My wife bought a pineapple decorative flag for the yard. A couple weeks later, I was approached by a neighbor and he told me that pineapple flags are symbols of "swingers". I started laughing and told my wife, who freaked out and yanked the flag down. That flag ended up on the neighbors lawn and it went around the neighborhood, and everyone got a laugh out of it. Didn't know it had a racial meaning though?

Edited by TradenupBH

The following letter was sent to parents:

October 21, 2015

Dear Atascocita High School Parents,

Humble ISD and Atascocita High School have conducted a thorough review of what occurred Friday, Oct. 16, during the gift exchange between Atascocita High School and Summer Creek High School. The purpose of this letter is to provide facts, clear up misperceptions, and inform you of steps being taken to promote good relations among all students.

It is a tradition for student representatives of competing schools to exchange gifts on the field at varsity football games. Typically, these gifts contain snacks such as crackers, candy and popcorn that can be readily shared among students and eaten during the game. The gift from AHS students to SCHS students included canned pineapple, a whole coconut, a small watermelon and assorted candy. When it was presented to SCHS, an AHS student announced that the gift was watermelon. The SCHS students left the field confused by the nature of the exchange. A SCHS sponsor raised concerns by notifying an AHS sponsor. At that time, the AHS sponsor notified AHS Administration.

The investigation has now determined:

Only a portion of AHS students on the field were aware of the gift's contents. Some were on the field simply because they had been asked to stand there. Those students will not face discipline.

Before the gift was presented that evening, a few AHS students discussed that the watermelon could be perceived as racially offensive and should not be included in the gift.

As a result of the investigation, consequences will be applied based upon students' level of involvement and in compliance with the Student Code of Conduct.

Going-forward:

All gifts to be presented during Good Sportsmanship League exchanges will be supervised by an adult.
Student Council leaders from Atascocita High School and Summer Creek High School will be brought together within the next few weeks to discuss what we have learned from this situation and how to move forward to positively impact the culture and climate on their campuses and among schools.

As teachers and parents, we work to teach young people that their words and actions can make a positive difference. Working together, we build a stronger, united community.

Sincerely,

Trey Kraemer
Assistant Superintendent - High Schools

Edited by CAL2TEX

If it was school money that bought it...what was bought should have been monitored a teeny bit better. What's the band going to do with a can of pineapples?

i was thinking the same thing lol, a whole coconut too?  I thought it was candy/gum and maybe a small fruit platter. Now that I've read THAT I have to ask did the ppl over the kids think those items were logical if its to be consumed at the game?  I wouldn't call it racist, I call it a dumb-arse decision/idea. DO BETTER! 

Little late on getting in on this - and I know my age may put me out of the loop - but when have coconuts and pine apples become racists symbols?

Not sure on Pineapples....but coconuts.....can be used the same way as "Uncle Tom" or "Oreo" towards anyone "Brown"...Hispanics, Asians...etc.....brown on the outside...white on the inside. But that is VERY back in the day type of stuff....doubt the kids had that in mind, probably some grumpy old person saw it and blew it out of proportion.....it's the generation gap. For instance, my Mom is on face book lol.....A family friend died and my mom posted on their page "Praying for you guys LOL" I Was like WTF???? so I called her and asked "Yo mom, what are you doing, that's not funny"....she went on a rant and got pisssed at me saying  back in HER day...LOL meant Lots of Love and it's our stupid generation with this dumb slang.

I would not even come close to taking the basket as  offensive on its own.  However by reading the comments, if they are truthful,  there is one by a student of summer creek who stated they were told at the presentation "we got you watermelon",  that coupled with events at past games where signs saying things like "who's your momma"and "where's your real hair" are why the stance was taken.