New Jersey HS player hits opposing player with his own helmet

Javelina

We could/should start an entire forum around similar incidents that have become far too common place amongst our youth and society as a whole, but its a far broader conversation, which blends politics religion, society and moral turpitude, all of which can ignite a very spirited debate, which is prolly suited for another platform.  Ill sum it up with one of my favorite quotes of all time, from a great football movie...."attitude reflect leadership...CAPTAIN!"

Out of control. 

What's out of control is the reaction from people over this!! Bad judgement during a play in a violent contact sport warrants an ejection and possible downtime the next game as well. Assault, are you freaking kidding me!! This is nowhere near the worse incident that occurs on the playing field are in the trenches, it just happens to have a camera on it. He was getting manhandled beforehand, was frustrated, reacted with another heat of the moment bonehead play, so be it. It's football, tempers and adrenaline get the best of us sometimes!!

"Authorities are investigating after a New Jersey high school football player was caught on video ripping the helmet off an opponent and hitting him with it, wounding the player so that he needed 10 stitches." 

The player has been removed from the football team. As he should be. 

This is the hidden content, please

If I were the one hit they might not have to worry bout who was injured . 

Then you both would be wrong and would be back at square one. It is not assault when it occurred in the field of play so the ones that scream this are the same people that do not understand the intergal part of the game. Yes, an action of unsportsmanlike conduct occurred. Yes, a penalty and ejection and suspension occurred, but that's were the governing bodies stop. Bottomline, shout happens, deal with it, learn and teach these involved in it, and get over it. It's football and if it's too rough for ya go play tennis!!

Then you both would be wrong and would be back at square one. It is not assault when it occurred in the field of play so the ones that scream this are the same people that do not understand the intergal part of the game. Yes, an action of unsportsmanlike conduct occurred. Yes, a penalty and ejection and suspension occurred, but that's were the governing bodies stop. Bottomline, shout happens, deal with it, learn and teach these involved in it, and get over it. It's football and if it's too rough for ya go play tennis!!

Plus did you play football in High School? College? I do think the kid should be suspended.. The reason I asked if you played is because sometimes it's hard far me to follow your thoughts in these posts.. I myself had a few personal foul penalties in my days, but I was more proned to grab you by your face mask and sling you around. But I guess to each his own. But it's s kid in violent sport so I wouldn't throw him under the jailhouse. But a suspension I would give for sure. 

Am I the only person that believes #plusone would have a totally different opinion if it was his kid getting his helmet ripped off and then suffered a career ending injury or even died in "the heat of battle?" You get unsportsmanlike for a late hit. A facemask. Not ripping off another players helmet and beating him with it. People that share #plusone's opinion are a major contributor to the rise of the attacks. 

^^ It's almost comical reading these two posts in a noncomical situation. Since we're hypothetical the kid received ten stiches, not debilitating or life threatening, what if ol' stat grabs a facemask and slings a kid around and breaks his neck? You still acted out of haste and the adrenaline was pumping, but guess what the ol' 45 millimeter projector didn't catch that part and you claim self defense in a game situation. They had to go back and review the incident according to their sources. Now, to answer your question. Yes, I did play football for some of the most had nosed meanest SOB's that ever walked on a high scholl gridiron so comparing today's game to yesteryear is apples to oranges. Yes, I'd have a different opinion if my son were severly injured as you stated and they would not have had to worry about suspensions or penalties cause I would have been handled right then and faced the HEAVY consequences later. Finally, people that share my opinion that football is a passionate, adrenaline filled, heat of the moment type sport are not the contributors, that starts at the house. You claim steady rise in attacks of this nature, It's fair to say then I don't think you've played or seen much football then. The addition to multiple cameras and everything is on social media where everything is now noticed would pale in comparison to what has happened in the past.  

^^ It's almost comical reading these two posts in a noncomical situation. Since we're hypothetical the kid received ten stiches, not debilitating or life threatening, what if ol' stat grabs a facemask and slings a kid around and breaks his neck? You still acted out of haste and the adrenaline was pumping, but guess what the ol' 45 millimeter projector didn't catch that part and you claim self defense in a game situation. They had to go back and review the incident according to their sources. Now, to answer your question. Yes, I did play football for some of the most had nosed meanest SOB's that ever walked on a high scholl gridiron so comparing today's game to yesteryear is apples to oranges. Yes, I'd have a different opinion if my son were severly injured as you stated and they would not have had to worry about suspensions or penalties cause I would have been handled right then and faced the HEAVY consequences later. Finally, people that share my opinion that football is a passionate, adrenaline filled, heat of the moment type sport are not the contributors, that starts at the house. You claim steady rise in attacks of this nature, It's fair to say then I don't think you've played or seen much football then. The addition to multiple cameras and everything is on social media where everything is now noticed would pale in comparison to what has happened in the past.  

So its all fun and games until someone gets seriously injured or worse..  Best way to discourage that from happening again is to treat it as assault.  I know that's  a slippery slope getting the law involved in sports, but some things can't be allowed no matter where they happened or what happened in the past.

^Hey, I'm just responding to the scenario they laid out. This is a hard physical intense sport. Guess that's why you guys east of the trinity are so good at 7 on 7, you play the game soft...

I played with a guy who spilt his facemask a couple of times hitting people.  So no, we play hard nosed here too.  A just an FYI as it pertains to this thread, he went to jail a few years later for killing someone.

^Hey, I'm just responding to the scenario they laid out. This is a hard physical intense sport. Guess that's why you guys east of the trinity are so good at 7 on 7, you play the game soft...

Plus.. We are soft up to 3 Championships... You know the rest of the stats, I wont even type all of them out......

What happened here was in no way football.  Putting a hard hit on another player legally, is a far cry from taking another players helmet off and using it as a weapon.  I don't care how u look at it, it is flat out assault.  What that kid did is far from football, it is nothing but thuggery.

^How many are charged and actually found guilty of simple assault or worse?? I know do you?? Though a harsh mistake; it happened under different circumstances. Again, not condoning nor condemning a 16 yr old that made a mistake. I have the privilege to converse with juco kids with previous Div I offers that have made mistakes and are very thankful that we live in a country that has due process. Perhaps it's a case by case basis but sometimes these human beings that are held to a higher standard as a student athlete don't always use better judgement and let their emotions get the best of them!!

^How many are charged and actually found guilty of simple assault or worse?? I know do you?? Though a harsh mistake; it happened under different circumstances. Again, not condoning nor condemning a 16 yr old that made a mistake. I have the privilege to converse with juco kids with previous Div I offers that have made mistakes and are very thankful that we live in a country that has due process. Perhaps it's a case by case basis but sometimes these human beings that are held to a higher standard as a student athlete don't always use better judgement and let their emotions get the best of them!!

There is no way he mistakenly took that helmet off and used it as a weapon.  The word mistake gets used where it should not be used an awful lot.