Battle for players pits BISD football coaches vs. loopholes

Great article. Yeah if only Beaumont had 1 HS like Allen, I was discussing this with another poster lastnight.

You would have many kids without a position on the Team. An idle Mind is the Devil's workshop.
The Dilemma is Real & so is Reality. Do we want to help our kids or Win ball games?? Having 1 School would definitely boost the talent level. What will BISD do in the next few years??

With Allen's enrollment at 6,000, I honestly see them splitting into two high schools in the near future.

Central, Ozen and West Brook combined enrollment is around 5400.

Those folks would be heated.

I also dont think BISD would ever have just one HS, might save a lil money but I dont think it'll ever happen, too much old town politics IMO. Heck we needed just one HS here in the 90s and didn't happen until 2002 (IMO for the interest of athletics more so than saving $$$)…… 

Hey Cam I hear ya loud and clear bro, I get your point. 

Those folks would be heated.

I also dont think BISD would ever have just one HS, might save a lil money but I dont think it'll ever happen, too much old town politics IMO. Heck we needed just one HS here in the 90s and didn't happen until 2002 (IMO for the interest of athletics more so than saving $$$)……

Hey Cam I hear ya loud and clear bro, I get your point.

You are not sir trying to imply BISD and any person on its former board or administrator would do something for personal gain and money are you??? Lol

BG, I'm All for pooling our Talent, but not to the detriment of our kids. When PA combined, did they add more enrichment programs for students who could no longer play sports??

That I cant answer Cam, I left for WF not long after it opened, from "hearsay" though: no they didn't. But that may have come from folks bitter about the 3 HS closings. 

You would have many kids without a position on the Team. An idle Mind is the Devil's workshop.
The Dilemma is Real & so is Reality. Do we want to help our kids or Win ball games?? Having 1 School would definitely boost the talent level. What will BISD do in the next few years??

Cam, I've been meaning to tell you since I read this Sunday... Nice words for the article....

Combining to make one school with a current enrollment of under 2200 is vastly different than combining 3 schools with a combined enrollment of 5400.

Yep, but PAISD total HS enrollment was nowhere near what it is right now. We were closer to 3000 back then, if im not mistaken around the 2800-2900 range. Population was also higher back then pre-hurricanes. 

;) 

Cam, I've been meaning to tell you since I read this Sunday... Nice words for the article....

Thanks Bro, I tried to sound like I knew what I was talking about. :lol: 

Seriously, I tried to answer from a Parents perspective and we did what we thought was best for our kids.  I wouldn't Label the strategies Coaches are using as "Recruiting", but I will say the Guy doing the complaining may want to read up on the Rules to gel a leg up(sort of like Belicheck) ;) 

I know that I am in the minority...but one high school in Beaumont in my opinion would be great for the city. There seems to be so much division... After all of the disgruntled folks upset because of the merger, I think the success of the sports teams would bring the city together as a whole, just as the successful combining of West Brook (Hebert and Forest Park) and Central (BCP and French).  I think new programs would have to be implemented for student involvement, but if planned properly it could work.  Allen has 6,000 students?  Wow! ... Central, Ozen, and West Brook combined.  #STATECHAMPIONS

What would you do with All of the kids who can't get a roster spot?? I hear all these ideas of merging for only one purpose; winning ball games. Just as the economy worsens, the crime goes up, if kids don't have alternatives they are subjected to mischief. I don't care if a kid plays sports at All, but when that opportunity isn't there anymore, what are we going to do for them?? The Moral Fiber of this Nation is Sickening.   JMO

With Allen's enrollment at 6,000, I honestly see them splitting into two high schools in the near future.

Central, Ozen and West Brook combined enrollment is around 5400.

Allen won't. The people want one high school. What they will probably do is turn into the plano system and build 1 or 2 9-10 high schools but keep the one senior high school.

Looking around the state I think there aren't that many mega schools (over 4,000) maybe 20 and even then they are always broken up. If Beaumont was to merge how would they do the schooling. Keep 2 high schools open and make one 9-10 and one 11-12? What then of the third school building and would transportation costs for shuttling the students across town cost more or less than the current transportation costs and the costs of transportation for athletics. As it is next realignment, Memorial will drop and probably take Lumberton's spot but that leaves West Brook with the nearest 6A being Baytown and North Shore with a possibility of moving to region 2 with the humble schools.

Back on topic, as I stated earlier, the Coach that executes the game plan of educating themselves to the zoning rules & selling their programs will have an advantage. The battle for getting kids starts as early as 6th grade. Knowing where a kid desires to go(versus where they are zoned) is key information. If you add in the Middle School & High Schools their parents attended, this may help to swing the pendilum in a Coaches direction. I guess HS Coaches must put in a lot of Footwork today as opposed to yesterday :lol: 

Allen won't. The people want one high school. What they will probably do is turn into the plano system and build 1 or 2 9-10 high schools but keep the one senior high school.

Looking around the state I think there aren't that many mega schools (over 4,000) maybe 20 and even then they are always broken up. If Beaumont was to merge how would they do the schooling. Keep 2 high schools open and make one 9-10 and one 11-12? What then of the third school building and would transportation costs for shuttling the students across town cost more or less than the current transportation costs and the costs of transportation for athletics. As it is next realignment, Memorial will drop and probably take Lumberton's spot but that leaves West Brook with the nearest 6A being Baytown and North Shore with a possibility of moving to region 2 with the humble schools.

Uh, Plano has 3 high schools now. Plano High, Plano East and Plano West. Each school has an enrollment of 5300+.

When Plano High started exceeding enrollments of 6500-7500, the school district created another high school, Plano East. Then later came Plano West.

I see Allen doing the same if the growth continues like Plano's did.