TASO Baseball Umpires-Bmt Chapter Seeking Members

bballdude

The Beaumont TASO Chapter is searching for new and experienced umpires.  Scrimmages, tournaments and regular season games are beginning soon.  If you are interested in joining the Chapter, with or without experience, we would like to visit with you.  Registration and State approval takes time so do not delay.

New umpires are provided a comprehensive weekly training from experienced TASO HS Umpires to include Rules Knowledge, Mechanics Knowledge and management of a HS Baseball game.  The schedule is flexible and you work the games based on your schedule and those levels you are most suited to handle based on evaluations from the TASO Chapter.

Visit www.tasobeaumont.org to complete the New Umpire Application found on the home page OR you are welcome to send me a private message for additional information.  Looking forward to seeing some new faces soon!

Really?  116 views and not one taker?  C'mon and join the "dark side".  LOL

The simple truth is, if we do not get more umpires, we will not be able to cover all our schools this year. This is not just a SE TX problem. It is state wide. So if you're wondering why peolpe don't want to umpire or when you go to your son's game and wonder why there is no umpire or only one - ask the man in the mirror..if it is the expense of getting equipment to get started that's holding you back our chapter can help with that. New guy training is at 6 tonight at 700 Orleans in Bmt. Mention my name for a good seat!!

@deuces...That is awesome.  Hadn't seen that video before.  Good stuff right there.  Officiating can certainly have that negative aspect to it with coaches coming out on a HS umpire and all however, that is the exception rather than the rule.  The majority of games are without this type exchange and the majority of games are a blast to officiate.  Parents screaming in the stands....well, that is simply a direction our society has been moving where everyone's an expert or critic yet very few "stand the post".  It's unfortunate yet you learn to laugh off the foolishness.

Teeboan has hit the nail on the head with the current state of umpires in Texas.  My son plays at Kelly HS and when we went to Liberty last year, there was only 1 umpire for a varsity game!  Spoke with him afterward and he said the majority of sub-varsity games are covered in Houston with 1 umpire and only 2 for varsity!!  YIKES but THAT is exactly where the Beaumont Chapter is headed this year.  We are doing our best to recruit umpires to maintain some level of coverage for the schools we service and schools other Chapters can not.

It is beyond fathomable that a Texas HS game could be played with 1 umpire but here it comes!!

All games in the Houston Area covered by Houston TASO are covered with 2 umpires.  At times last year it was hard for the Houston TASO chapter to cover all Sub-Varsity games with 2 umpires due to the number of games needing covered.  I can see where Liberty would be an issue due to the distance it is from the majority of the umpires in Houston TASO.   Shortage of officials has been a problem for years.  Finding and retaining officials from year to year is hard as well.  Costs of gear and the constant issues with the pay scale have caused many to leave umpiring.   Houston TASO has over 300+ umpires in membership and covers 160+ teams ( jv, varsity ) .   

From my understanding.....the 5A/6A schools in the Golden Triangle use 3 man crews.   That there could be a reason for some of the shortage of umpires at the lower classification schools in their coverage area.

Removing obstacles.....  I am a believer in training.  If an umpire is trained properly and knows his mechanics he/she will be better equipped to deal with any situations that come up during games.   The way things are set up now with the UIL,  if a school doesn't handle the crowd and provide a site admin.   then the officials can submit a report and it will be handled.  

@Silsbee92 - I am not 100% certain what "obstacles" you are speaking of unless it is the "verbal and physical confrontations you mention".  First, verbal confrontations will occur and while I will never, for the life of me, understand why the sport of baseball allows its coaches to confront officials the way it does, it is something that can be handled with a variety of techniques.  Secondly, I have not seen physical confrontations you speak of and if that occurs, ejection and larger issues with TASO & UIL upon receipt of my incident report on that coach.  Physical contact is a HUGE NO NO!!

The better umpires understand how to deal with this stuff.  You don't take it personally.  You understand why the coach is doing what he is doing BUT if you are sound with your mechanics and confident in your judgment, you simply let them vent, end the conversation and get back to the game of baseball.  Confident not cocky is the key here.

Totally understand where you are coming from.  It is more difficult to find good officials with the criticism giving by so many would-be experts...

@oldman - as teeboan mentioned, it is a statewide shortage.  They mentioned at the State Meeting there is a 25% shortage of officials relative to recent years so it is a problem for every chapter for the very reasons you state.  Going to be an interesting season!

There are several schools in our area that request 3-man crews including 6A, 5A & some 4A coaches.  That will definitely become more of a challenge this year however, we are getting our numbers up as each day passes so we have our fingers crossed because we are not out of the woods just yet.

As for training, you are 100% correct!! teeboan and myself administer the training program.  We strive to have the most comprehensive approach to getting our new umpires prepared via on-field, cage work and we will have them working live scrimmages a minimum of 3 times with the training staff.

Recruit. Train. Retain.

@Silsbee92 - I am not 100% certain what "obstacles" you are speaking of unless it is the "verbal and physical confrontations you mention". First, verbal confrontations will occur and while I will never, for the life of me, understand why the sport of baseball allows its coaches to confront officials the way it does, it is something that can be handled with a variety of techniques. Secondly, I have not seen physical confrontations you speak of and if that occurs, ejection and larger issues with TASO & UIL upon receipt of my incident report on that coach. Physical contact is a HUGE NO NO!!

The better umpires understand how to deal with this stuff. You don't take it personally. You understand why the coach is doing what he is doing BUT if you are sound with your mechanics and confident in your judgment, you simply let them vent, end the conversation and get back to the game of baseball. Confident not cocky is the key here.

Totally understand where you are coming from. It is more difficult to find good officials with the criticism giving by so many would-be experts...

Respect for the post. I took the time and money to get proper training. Still have the materials that came with it. I watch occasionally to keep up in the hope I will return once daughter is done in high school.

I have received both forms of confrontations. Though the physical came from fans it doesn't matter to me. Schools can and should end ALL manner of improper behavior. There are ways to get the players, coaches and "fans" to back off.

It is also the chapters responsibility to provide adequately trained umpires. It is an obvious thing to me and most other "good" umpires who does not belong on the field.

Those are the obstacles I was referring to.