Exactly. We should tell kids with high GPA's to throw in a C every once in a while in case they "make an average kid look foolish"

I don't feel sorrow for any team that gets blown out. Seems to me the coach could've won by over 200 if he really wanted to "be an ass". Get over it crybabies. If they can't compete...they need to do something about it. Or don't play.

BD we're on the same page more and more these days.

Scary !!  :)

Until there is a crowd present at the public announcement of every student's GPA the comparison between sports and grades doesnt really work.  Grades are confidential, a basketball game and its score are, obviously, made public.  Notice that at graduation they don't announce the names of the kids who failed and are not receiving a diploma.

And, for the third time the coach wasnt an ass for blowing out the other team. He was an ass for continuing to allow his players to do things that made the score increasingly humiliating (for no reason) when he could have used the time to make his team better and still won the game 90- 6.  Surely, that would have been enough points.

When good teams play terrible teams, blow outs are inevitable. I have had kids on AAU teams that got blown out  and teams that have blown out other teams. The thing that made me the most mad and felt the most humiliating was when the other  team stopped trying all together.  But, there are things (outlined earlier) that the coach of the superior team can do to limit the damage.  I agree that at some point the coach of the team that got blown out bears some responsibility for not having his girls ready to play. But I cant justify continuing to press or trap full court or half court in the first or second half an essentially defenseless team.  Last I checked, sportsmanship was one of the lessons youth sports was supposed to teach kids.  The coach in this case failed to do that and earned his suspension.

Sports also teach us to be competitive.  Our whole system is based on honoring achievers, especially in academics> Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum..., Blue Key/Cap Honor Society. All publicly announced. And we won't even get into grade school awards.

Sports also teach us to be competitive.  Our whole system is based on honoring achievers, especially in academics> Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum..., Blue Key/Cap Honor Society. All publicly announced. And we won't even get into grade school awards.

Sports dont teach us to be competitive.  People are naturally competitive.  Sports teach us the value of hard work, the importance of team, the necessity of sacrifice to achieve something meaningful, and they should teach sportsmanship.  Again, the difference in your examples from graduation are not intended to humiliate the less successful.  The whole day is a celebration of every student's achievement and not being Magna Cum Laude is not humiliating.  However, please note that in none of my posts I never said that the better team shouldn't play to win and to score, but -- again -- the coach should have had his kids work on other skill, sets, defenses instead of continuing to let his kids shoot threes and run a half court trap that clearly worked to perfection.  The game still would have been a blow out ( like 90 - 6) and some people would have still had their feelings hurt.  But, if the coach had simply called of the trap/ press, told his girls not to shoot threes, and had them pass the ball four or five times before shooting he could have easily avoided hanging 162 on his opponent.  He would have maintained the respect of his fellow coaches, not have been suspended, and taught his team something about sportsmanship.

So when do you stop making a team look humiliated? 30+, 50+, 75+?? And who decides? You're saying 90-6 would've been ok? Really? So it's less humiliating to have a team play keep away for the entire 2nd half? Was that team trying to steal the ball late so they could keep scoring? Or was the losing team shooting and trying to score...allowing the winning team to get rebounds and get the ball back? The losing team could've walked across half court and held the ball. Instead of allowing the winning team to get more possessions. If they were still getting steals...yeah that could've been prevented...

Like I said earlier.. Learn to schedule, learn to play, or don't play.

I can promise you... 100-6 there would still be some crybabies on here saying the coach was just an ass for "running the score up".

There are some good points in this post.  In this case I think when you are on the verge of scoring 100 in the first half you could probably put in place a plan to limit the damage.  Lets be clear about what happened in this case.  If California teams play 10 minute quarters the winning team scored 4 points a minute throughout the game or at least one score every 30 seconds.  If they play 8 minute quarters like Texas then his team scored 5 points a minute.  If he really was running the shot clock to the limit every possession this would be nearly impossible unless his girls shot 100 percent which I doubt they did.  So he clearly didnt do much of anything to limit the magnitude of the blowout.

In general I agree.  Some people on the losing end of these games are angry when they get blown out by 30 so you are right that no matter what the blowout level some people will be pissed.  And, as I stated earlier, it makes me mad to get blown out and then have the other team just pass the ball around.  I expect them to shoot, to play, to try.  I dont expect their coach to let one player shoot 9 threes in the second half of a game in which his team scored 100 points in the first half.  Just tell them no threes.  Just play zone defense and no uncontested fast breaks.  I think these measures would at least let the opposing coach, players, and educated fans know that you arent intentionally running up the score.  And again, he could have used this time to have his team work on zone defense, passing, etc. This guy's team still would have scored 30 plus in the second half and won 132 to 2.  Some people would still have wanted to go after the coach, but at least he could have honestly said he tried to limit the damage.  In other words he could say he did the right thing.

So, here's how I think coaches should handle the situation.  1st quarter anything goes.  Play hard, work on your stuff, let your players go all out.  If after the first you are scoring at will and have a twenty five - thirty point lead then no press or trap in the 2nd quarter.  Play half court man or zone.  Play it hard.  If at half time you are still ahead by 30 +  then no starters in the second half until the lead gets down to 20.  Once the lead goes past 40 points no threes,  no fast breaks, dont hustle the ball up the floor, run clock, give team a set number or passes they have to make before shooting.  If you still win by 80 at least you cant be accused of running up the score by the opposing coach.

There are some good points in this post. In this case I think when you are on the verge of scoring 100 in the first half you could probably put in place a plan to limit the damage. Lets be clear about what happened in this case. If California teams play 10 minute quarters the winning team scored 4 points a minute throughout the game or at least one score every 30 seconds. If they play 8 minute quarters like Texas then his team scored 5 points a minute. If he really was running the shot clock to the limit every possession this would be nearly impossible unless his girls shot 100 percent which I doubt they did. So he clearly didnt do much of anything to limit the magnitude of the blowout.

In general I agree. Some people on the losing end of these games are angry when they get blown out by 30 so you are right that no matter what the blowout level some people will be pissed. And, as I stated earlier, it makes me mad to get blown out and then have the other team just pass the ball around. I expect them to shoot, to play, to try. I dont expect their coach to let one player shoot 9 threes in the second half of a game in which his team scored 100 points in the first half. Just tell them no threes. Just play zone defense and no uncontested fast breaks. I think these measures would at least let the opposing coach, players, and educated fans know that you arent intentionally running up the score. And again, he could have used this time to have his team work on zone defense, passing, etc. This guy's team still would have scored 30 plus in the second half and won 132 to 2. Some people would still have wanted to go after the coach, but at least he could have honestly said he tried to limit the damage. In other words he could say he did the right thing.

So, here's how I think coaches should handle the situation. 1st quarter anything goes. Play hard, work on your stuff, let your players go all out. If after the first you are scoring at will and have a twenty five - thirty point lead then no press or trap in the 2nd quarter. Play half court man or zone. Play it hard. If at half time you are still ahead by 30 + then no starters in the second half until the lead gets down to 20. Once the lead goes past 40 points no threes, no fast breaks, dont hustle the ball up the floor, run clock, give team a set number or passes they have to make before shooting. If you still win by 80 at least you cant be accused of running up the score by the opposing coach.

Read the article.http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2332169-california-high-school-girls-basketball-coach-suspended-after-massive-win

He benched his starters at half. Told his team to burn the SHOT CLOCK. Notice that last part. Shot clock. Plus they ran the clock 4th quarter. Which is not legal to do (according to article) until 4th quarter. So what do you suggest? Run thru plays the entire possession without shooting...then let the shot clock run out giving it to other team? Plus it was the last game before league play...so he did a bad job scheduling that team right before it matters. Unless he wanted to go into league play with confidence..and a chance to let backups play. The coach didn't do anything wrong. But I'm not surprised...the way society is now.

Here's what I suggest. Stop being a baby. Stop worrying about that poor little team that sucks at basketball. And move on.

I made sure that whatever my kids wanted to do...they put in extra time and effort to be as good as they could've been at it. The parents of those kids should've pushed for their kids to at least be in a situation to be halfway competitive. If not...take your kids down to the local rec center once or twice a week and let them play pick up ball or shoot around on their own.

I'm done with this feel sorry for people that refuse to improve, winning doesn't matter as long as you're having fun, everyone gets a trophy, losing isn't fair.....CRAP.

Read the article.http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2332169-california-high-school-girls-basketball-coach-suspended-after-massive-win

He benched his starters at half. Told his team to burn the SHOT CLOCK. Notice that last part. Shot clock. Plus they ran the clock 4th quarter. Which is not legal to do (according to article) until 4th quarter. So what do you suggest? Run thru plays the entire possession without shooting...then let the shot clock run out giving it to other team? Plus it was the last game before league play...so he did a bad job scheduling that team right before it matters. Unless he wanted to go into league play with confidence..and a chance to let backups play. The coach didn't do anything wrong. But I'm not surprised...the way society is now.

Here's what I suggest. Stop being a baby. Stop worrying about that poor little team that sucks at basketball. And move on.

I made sure that whatever my kids wanted to do...they put in extra time and effort to be as good as they could've been at it. The parents of those kids should've pushed for their kids to at least be in a situation to be halfway competitive. If not...take your kids down to the local rec center once or twice a week and let them play pick up ball or shoot around on their own.

I'm done with this feel sorry for people that refuse to improve, winning doesn't matter as long as you're having fun, everyone gets a trophy, losing isn't fair.....CRAP.

Are you actually reading my posts?  He clearly did not burn the shot clock as he suggests.  His team was scoring at a rate of 3 points a minute in the second half and 4 points a minute in the first.  This would be impossible if he were really having them burn 30 seconds a possession. He had scored 100 points in the first half.  He let his back ups run half court trap and press and shoot threes.  My point all along has been that the coach was a jerk and a liar.  He could have limited the scoring while still letting his girls play -- 5 passess, dont shoot threes, half court zone etc.  This would have made them a better team, taught sportsmanship, and avoided getting suspenions and his team STILL would have blown out the other team.  You seem to think I am advocating his team doing nothing and a policy which says that competition and winning should be rewarded.  That is almost the exact opposite of what I am saying.

we have seen 70 and 80 pt. wins in u.i.l. with some of the charter schools becoming members. Be careful what you ask for is all I can say. If you have ever been on losing side of one of these games it should make you want to get in the gym and work at being better. Dont whine about getting beat bad its not the American way. Get in the gym and committ to being better. Work Work Work.......This is getting just as bad as deflated footballs :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Running up a score and doing your best in the classroom are not even comparable.

Well if we don't teach our kids to run up the score then they will only strive to make a "C"....Really if that does not sound like the great thinking of Plato, Solomon, Locke, C.S. Lewis, Thomas Aquinas, Erasmus then nothing does. 

Maybe if we teach our kids to compete with class, then as a society we will respect others and thus all be more productive. 

Running up a score and doing your best in the classroom are not even comparable.

Well if we don't teach our kids to run up the score then they will only strive to make a "C"....Really if that does not sound like the great thinking of Plato, Solomon, Locke, C.S. Lewis, Thomas Aquinas, Erasmus then nothing does. 

Maybe if we teach our kids to compete with class, then as a society we will respect others and thus all be more productive. 

I wasn't gonna reply to this thread again...but I just cant help it. 

he.didn't,run.up.the.score.he.benched.his.starters.and.ran.the.clock...  

You see....running up the score would've been doing what he could to make the score as bad as possible. How about this...instead of teaching our kids to expect some charity from someone else when it gets bad...why don't we teach our kids that if they don't like a situation, do what it takes to change it or prevent it from happening again.

The way of thinking in your post is what's wrong with society...  We can not ALL be good at EVERYTHING. This used to be a survival of the fittest or hardest working country...  That's why not everyone will get into college, not everyone will be astronauts, not everyone can just WANT for something and they get it. 

A team got embarrassed...good... Don't like it? Change it, prevent it, or don't participate.  But definitely...don't expect sympathy from me.

I wasn't gonna reply to this thread again...but I just cant help it. 

he.didn't,run.up.the.score.he.benched.his.starters.and.ran.the.clock...  

You see....running up the score would've been doing what he could to make the score as bad as possible. How about this...instead of teaching our kids to expect some charity from someone else when it gets bad...why don't we teach our kids that if they don't like a situation, do what it takes to change it or prevent it from happening again.

The way of thinking in your post is what's wrong with society...  We can not ALL be good at EVERYTHING. This used to be a survival of the fittest or hardest working country...  That's why not everyone will get into college, not everyone will be astronauts, not everyone can just WANT for something and they get it. 

A team got embarrassed...good... Don't like it? Change it, prevent it, or don't participate.  But definitely...don't expect sympathy from me.

But he clearly did run up the score.  His starters continued to press and trap the entire first half scoring 100 points by halftime when the opposing team had 2.  In the second half his team scored 60 or more.  If the game had 8 minute quarters his team averaged 3.75 points a minute.  This would require them to make a shot, on average, once every 30 seconds and that is if they shot 100%.  If they shot 50% they were shooting once every 15 seconds (on average) does that sound like running the clock to you? His team continued to shoot threes through the second half. His back ups were clearly superior to the other teams starters. He could have used that time to have them work on skills more valuable that gunning three's every time they got the chance.

From your posts it seems that, to your way of thinking, there is no situation in which a clearly superior team should show mercy to a clearly inferior team.  To you there is no such thing as good sportsmanship.  If you suck -- no matter the reason -- you deserve to be humiliated and the lesson you should learn from sports is that if you cant win you should quit trying.  Since you have compared this situation to grades, do you then believe that D and C students should drop out of school since they aren't as successful as A students. Is that an accurate description of your position on running up the score and sportsmanship?  If not could you please explain your position more clearly.

BTW, old school coaches didnt run up scores.  Sportsmanship is old school.

you might as well give up oldschool2, i think you are talking to one of those give them all a trophy and we dont need a scoreboard folks.  :D

The clearest indication that your opponent is losing the argument is when thy resort to intentionally misrepresenting your position.  You know that I have advocated nothing of the sort.  If you dont know what my position is it is because you havent been reading my posts carefully.  My position has always been:

1. The blowout was inevitable and that sometimes blowouts happen. But the winning coach could and should (sportsmanship) do what he can to prevent it from becoming humiliating.  If this coach wins 90-2 still a blowout, but not national news worthy.

2. There are things a coach can do to accomplish this without preventing his team from playing -- no threes, five passes before shooting, stop the half court trap and play zone, etc -- that would actually give his team some valuable practice.

3. Despite what the coach said he was not trying to avoid running up the score.  After scoring 100 points with his starters in the first half (which by the way is running up the score), his back ups scored 60 in the second half at a rate of 3.75 points a minute.  That means they were shooting at least once every 30 seconds if they were shooting 100% so in reality they were shooting about once every 15 seconds.  That is proof that they weren't burning clock -- and remember there was a running clock in the 4th quarter. 

4.  This kind of behavior on the part of the coach warranted the suspension.

I have never said that everyone should get a trophy or that there shouldn't be a scoreboard.   Nor have I suggested that there needs to be a rule change.  Good coaches dont allow this to happen. But this coach is clearly a liar and an ass who earned his suspension.

That is my actual position.  Address my points honestly or admit that you a supporting unsupportable actions by the winning coach.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

we have seen 70 and 80 pt. wins in u.i.l. with some of the charter schools becoming members. Be careful what you ask for is all I can say. If you have ever been on losing side of one of these games it should make you want to get in the gym and work at being better. Dont whine about getting beat bad its not the American way. Get in the gym and committ to being better. Work Work Work.......This is getting just as bad as deflated footballs  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

we have seen 70 and 80 pt. wins in u.i.l. with some of the charter schools becoming members. Be careful what you ask for is all I can say. If you have ever been on losing side of one of these games it should make you want to get in the gym and work at being better. Dont whine about getting beat bad its not the American way. Get in the gym and committ to being better. Work Work Work.......This is getting just as bad as deflated footballs  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: F

So then no.  You choose not to address my position directly.  What exactly am I asking for other than the winning coach showing some class in preventing a blowout from crossing the line to humiliation of the losing team?  Have I asked for a rule change?  Have I ever claimed that blowouts aren't a natural and unpreventable part of the game?

Do you know the circumstances of the losing team?  Did they suffer injuries that removed their best players before this game?  Are they a new program whose oldest players are Freshmen and Sophomore's? Did they lose most of the starters to eligibility issues?  You dont know that they arent working and yet you have no problem with the coach of the winning team running up the score against them to teach them a lesson.  I'm pretty sure that an 90-10 loss would have sent the message that they need to improve as well as a 162-2 loss.

Again, I invite you to address my actual points and explain your position on sportsmanship more clearly.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1431319

Here you go. This is what happens when you "feel sorry for a team". When everyone should be treated fairly or feel sorry for them simply because they show up.

By the way man...90-2 is still "running up the score" in a lot of people's eyes. Especially these days. On the boys basketball thread just last week there was some clown griping that West Hardin beat Bob Hope by 80. Saying..."why post the score"..and "that's classless"

Then Friday Kountze and Big Sandy won by nearly identical margins...and nobody said a word. So....

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1431319

Here you go. This is what happens when you "feel sorry for a team". When everyone should be treated fairly or feel sorry for them simply because they show up.

By the way man...90-2 is still "running up the score" in a lot of people's eyes. Especially these days. On the boys basketball thread just last week there was some clown griping that West Hardin beat Bob Hope by 80. Saying..."why post the score"..and "that's classless"

Then Friday Kountze and Big Sandy won by nearly identical margins...and nobody said a word. So....

Please go back and review my posts.  Where did I say I felt sorry for the losing team?  Where did I say that everyone should get a trophy?  Where did I say that blowouts should be legislated out of any game?  Where did I say that I even thought blowouts were avoidable?  Please address what I have written, not what you have decided I mean.

In the local games you mentioned I guarantee you the winning coaches did more to prevent humiliating the losing team than the California coach did.  (BTW, notice that the California team scored almost twice the points as the teams in your comparison). In other articles about the game on line he said he should have pulled his starters after the first quarter and that the game got away from him.  Even the coach of the California team that won admits he made mistakes and could have done more to keep the score down. 

For the record, I hate that everybody gets a trophy crap.  When my kids came home from elementary school awards assemblies without awards and were upset my question to them was, "What did you do to earn an award?" My kids have played sports their whole lives and the seasons I hated the most were the "fall ball" baseball seasons where they didnt turn the score board on.  Winning is important.  It is the reward for hard work and excellence.  Losing is what happens when you arent as good as the winning team whatever the reason.  What happened in California was an example of bad sportsmanship that goes beyond winning and losing.  And, sportsmanship should be one of the lessons school employed coaches are teaching kids.

There is a big difference between good sportsmanship and giving everyone a trophy.

What's coach supposed to do??! Tell his 2nd and 3rd stringers not to play hard? Those kids rarely see the court so you better believe when they get their chance they're going to play as hard as they can; and lots of times playing hard and getting after it results in points being scored

If you go back and look at all my posts on this thread you'll find one in which I explained what the coach could have done to keep the score down.  Every basketball coach I know has used these things to limit his teams scoring in a blowout without preventing them from playing hard and getting better.

If you go back and look at all my posts on this thread you'll find one in which I explained what the coach could have done to keep the score down. Every basketball coach I know has used these things to limit his teams scoring in a blowout without preventing them from playing hard and getting better.

Ok we get it. Here's what you would've liked to have seen happen.

1. Backups go in
2. Throw ball around (at least 5 passes)
3. No threes
4. Play hard, but not hard enough to get a steal or score in transition
5. Be sure to be as fair as absolutely possible
6. Be sure to not blow them out by over 100, but 90-2 is perfectly acceptable
7. A whole half is far too long for starters to be allowed to play.

I think I got it. I'm gonna write my local congressman to push to move this into law. That way no one ever gets humiliated again. And..all these mean, bully coaches get removed from the profession.

Ok we get it. Here's what you would've liked to have seen happen.

1. Backups go in
2. Throw ball around (at least 5 passes)
3. No threes
4. Play hard, but not hard enough to get a steal or score in transition
5. Be sure to be as fair as absolutely possible
6. Be sure to not blow them out by over 100, but 90-2 is perfectly acceptable
7. A whole half is far too long for starters to be allowed to play.

I think I got it. I'm gonna write my local congressman to push to move this into law. That way no one ever gets humiliated again. And..all these mean, bully coaches get removed from the profession.

Hey, that's progress.  Here is where I still think you are misrepresenting my position:

4. Play zone inside the three point line.

5. Its the refs job to insure fairness.  The coach's job is to teach sportsmanship. I never said what happened was unfair, just bad sportsmanship.

6. I think most good coaches can keep most blowouts under 100.  That score is symbolic and I think most coaches know how to avoid breaking that line and still have their kids work on important skills and sets so they get something out of the game.

7. A whole half is too long for starters to play when your team is winning about 50-0 after one quarter.

Also, you still seem to be under the impression that I am advocating some kind of rule change or something.  I'm not in favor of any regulatory changes, BUT I reserve the right to call any coach -- like the one that inspired this thread -- an ass for running up the score and then lying about it.  Coaches should, and most do, understand that their job includes teaching sportsmanship.

You seem to be trying to make a bigger point about society and enforced equality of outcomes or something.  I'm not an advocate of those things.

Maybe the problem is a matter of terms.  I see sportsmanship as respecting your opponents and treating them that way.  You seem to equate it with rules that limit competition.  Is that accurate?

ok this is my final reply on this subject. I understand what you are saying and here is my remedy. Make sure your team 

can compete before you ask to join a league. Many of the charter schools that have joined UIL are not competitive in the 

classification they are assigned. Not in all cases but most cases it is a bad nite of basketball if you have to play one of 

them. Its not their fault they want to compete but the coach should take a look at what he is going to be up against. I 

have felt sorry for some of those kids who take those kinds of beatings every game but I also admire their spirit for 

coming back game after game. I just think some of the charter school coaches should use better judgement. I cant 

blame the kids or coaches for the scores because they work hard all week and then dont get to play because they 

are so much better than the team they play will never make sense to me. so again I get what your saying but I think

it should never happen, but because schools get into UIL to early blowouts happen all the time.160-2 is a little much

but I wasnt there and I cant judge but you can never tell your kids to quit playing hard. They have to prepare for other 

games as well.

Hey, that's progress. Here is where I still think you are misrepresenting my position:

4. Play zone inside the three point line.
5. Its the refs job to insure fairness. The coach's job is to teach sportsmanship. I never said what happened was unfair, just bad sportsmanship.
6. I think most good coaches can keep most blowouts under 100. That score is symbolic and I think most coaches know how to avoid breaking that line and still have their kids work on important skills and sets so they get something out of the game.
7. A whole half is too long for starters to play when your team is winning about 50-0 after one quarter.

Also, you still seem to be under the impression that I am advocating some kind of rule change or something. I'm not in favor of any regulatory changes, BUT I reserve the right to call any coach -- like the one that inspired this thread -- an ass for running up the score and then lying about it. Coaches should, and most do, understand that their job includes teaching sportsmanship.

You seem to be trying to make a bigger point about society and enforced equality of outcomes or something. I'm not an advocate of those things.

Maybe the problem is a matter of terms. I see sportsmanship as respecting your opponents and treating them that way. You seem to equate it with rules that limit competition. Is that accurate?

No..I guess you don't get it at all. My post was all sarcasm. I'm playing the kids I start no less than a half. I would take them out maybe a few minutes to go each qtr...but they're on the floor majority of at least first half.

And when my backups go in... I expect them to play as if they were trying to earn a starting spot. I also expect them to do what we work on everyday in practice. If we're a run and gun team...sorry for your luck. The guy stopped pressing.

And I certainly wouldn't "practice stalling" with my bench players. I doubt they would ever even be in the game in that situation. I'm working on killing clock with my players that always play...in case it's ever a tight game.

I'm not posting anymore. Blowouts happen all the time. Always have, always will. People need to stop being so sensitive. If this coach was running the score up the 2nd half would've been identical or at least similar to 1st half. That's all I got.

ok this is my final reply on this subject. I understand what you are saying and here is my remedy. Make sure your team 

can compete before you ask to join a league. Many of the charter schools that have joined UIL are not competitive in the 

classification they are assigned. Not in all cases but most cases it is a bad nite of basketball if you have to play one of 

them. Its not their fault they want to compete but the coach should take a look at what he is going to be up against. I 

have felt sorry for some of those kids who take those kinds of beatings every game but I also admire their spirit for 

coming back game after game. I just think some of the charter school coaches should use better judgement. I cant 

blame the kids or coaches for the scores because they work hard all week and then dont get to play because they 

are so much better than the team they play will never make sense to me. so again I get what your saying but I think

it should never happen, but because schools get into UIL to early blowouts happen all the time.160-2 is a little much

but I wasnt there and I cant judge but you can never tell your kids to quit playing hard. They have to prepare for other 

games as well.

I agree with almost everything in this post.  Except I think that a coach  can have their kids play hard and in a way that helps them grow as players and still limit the magnitude of the blowout as much as possible.  This is what good coaches do in this situation every week.

No..I guess you don't get it at all. My post was all sarcasm. I'm playing the kids I start no less than a half. I would take them out maybe a few minutes to go each qtr...but they're on the floor majority of at least first half.

And when my backups go in... I expect them to play as if they were trying to earn a starting spot. I also expect them to do what we work on everyday in practice. If we're a run and gun team...sorry for your luck. The guy stopped pressing.

And I certainly wouldn't "practice stalling" with my bench players. I doubt they would ever even be in the game in that situation. I'm working on killing clock with my players that always play...in case it's ever a tight game.

I'm not posting anymore. Blowouts happen all the time. Always have, always will. People need to stop being so sensitive. If this coach was running the score up the 2nd half would've been identical or at least similar to 1st half. That's all I got.

Ok.  Sorry I missed the sarcasm.  I was pleased to think you were sincerely engaging in a discussion about sportsmanship that I have enjoyed.

My only frustration regarding your posts have been your seeming insistence that I wanted some kind of non-competitive rule put in place, your equating me wanting a coach to exercise some level of sportsmanship with "everyone gets a trophy" thinking, and your continued insistence that the coach didnt run up the score when he so clearly did (even he has acknowledged that he should have done more to limit the magnitude of the blowout).

I believe that sportsmanship means treating your opponent with respect which this coach did not.  Your idea, though unclear, is different from mine.  Fair enough.  Its been nice debating with you.