H-J's Roe Wilkins

KABrother

I think this particular thread should be left to congratulating Roe on his commitment and his excellent play.

If one wants to question Lamar and it's recruiting business, start a thread in the college forum.

1) didn't question anything LU - I asked if the kid was legit - a simple answer of "yes" was all that was needed, and his cousin provided that, without seeing any harm in my question....so why would others?

2) you speak out about my question (inaccurately I might add) which breaks ZERO rules...yet I have been call several names (even if they are right, which they may well be) by multiple posters - but that IS against the rules....humm   :rolleyes: but I understand, really, I do!

Thank you sir - congrats to Roe, and best wishing to him as an LU Cardinal. 

By the way - I am an LU grad...my daughter high jumps for SHSU so I do support them as well with plenty friends with kids on the LU football team....I'd really like to see them do well - WITH Coach Woodard at the helm.

Looking at SHSU it appears your daughter has the following placements for this past season 7th/5th/8th/3rd. Would you consider that contributing. 

Not being sarcastic just wanting to know your definition of contributing. 

I agree with AAW if you have a question about Lamar's recruiting then put it on a thread there but to come in and question a kid's ability on a thread congratulating him is in poor taste in my book.

Looking at SHSU it appears your daughter has the following placements for this past season 7th/5th/8th/3rd. Would you consider that contributing. 

Nope not at all...and she doesn't think so either...but she did that with a torn labral tear in her shoulder and nerve entrapment in her leg during the indoor season...red shirted the outdoor season...had two surgeries (second on her leg) in the summer within 5 weeks of each other...rehabbed them both at same time in order to not miss any off season this fall - still making the comeback and will jump again for the first time at Texas A&M in 2 weeks....

*** for the record all of those placement gained points for her team...so from that stand point yes....on a personal note - NO

and as far as the bold part - I'm not near as sensitive as some  :P so question all you want.

Nope not at all...and she doesn't think so either...but she did that with a torn labral tear in her shoulder and nerve entrapment in her leg during the indoor season...red shirted the outdoor season...had two surgeries (second on her leg) in the summer within 5 weeks of each other...rehabbed them both at same time in order to not miss any off season this fall - still making the comeback and will jump again for the first time at Texas A&M in 2 weeks....

*** for the record all of those placement gained points for her team...so from that stand point yes....on a personal note - NO

With that said evidently SHSU has faith enough in her to offer her scholarship money so evidently they see potential just as Lamar sees potential in the ones "some" may deem non-contributing. Otherwise no college would throw money (scholarships) at an athlete they had no faith in.

I agree with AAW if you have a question about Lamar's recruiting then put it on a thread there but to come in and question a kid's ability on a thread congratulating him is in poor taste in my book.

AGAIN - his family didn't think so.....but for the record - I appolgize to Roe if he thinks so...

Maybe the same can be said of the other kids @ Lamar, we don't know that for sure, but those kids work hard just as your Daughter does. Pray she has a speedy recovery & a great showing @ A&M

Dang, why is everyone so touchy?  Craig S asked a question and a couple of you attacked him.  Has the world gone so PC that people can't ask questions?  Or, can we only ask the questions that everyone likes?

There are about 100 players on a college roster.  If you have a backup for each position on offense, defense and special teams that comes out to 66.  That leaves about 1/3 of the roster as stand-arounds.

As an alumni, Craig S was wanting to know where Roe Wilkins will fit, but some of you took it as him bashing the kid.  R-E-L-A-X people and congratulations to Roe!!!

Dang, why is everyone so touchy?  Craig S asked a question and a couple of you attacked him.  Has the world gone so PC that people can't ask questions?  Or, can we only ask the questions that everyone likes?

There are about 100 players on a college roster.  If you have a backup for each position on offense, defense and special teams that comes out to 66.  That leaves about 1/3 of the roster as stand-arounds.

As an alumni, Craig S was wanting to know where Roe Wilkins will fit, but some of you took it as him bashing the kid.  R-E-L-A-X people and congratulations to Roe!!!

Well said!

I'm sure I'll catch it for this post, but it's a serious question and not bashing. Is this a serious pickup for LU or just another local kid? Who else has offered him SLC or otherwise? On paper he has the size and will more than likely beef up as some have said....but will he actually contribute to improving LU or just another local on the roster to stand on the sidelines.....

Locals on LU roster = 25
Locals that contribute = ?? (5 - I'm guessing) correction: I was told about 8...still pretty low...out of 25...

LU has a freshman safety that is going to be a hell of a ball player. He's originally from Woodville. But moved up to Virginia in about the 7th grade (give or take a couple years). Reid Entsminger.

Dang, why is everyone so touchy? Craig S asked a question and a couple of you attacked him. Has the world gone so PC that people can't ask questions? Or, can we only ask the questions that everyone likes?

There are about 100 players on a college roster. If you have a backup for each position on offense, defense and special teams that comes out to 66. That leaves about 1/3 of the roster as stand-arounds.

As an alumni, Craig S was wanting to know where Roe Wilkins will fit, but some of you took it as him bashing the kid. R-E-L-A-X people and congratulations to Roe!!!

You have questions ask away, but not on a thread congratulating a kid. You go start a seperate thread, you don't turn a positive thread about what a kid has done AND EARNED and turn it to a question of his worth. If you can't comprehend that I am sorry.

Let me get this straight, the question that Craig S asked would be ok if he would have asked it in a different thread? You and the other HJ police wouldn't think its bashing if it were on a different thread?

No Cobb you are right it is perfectly acceptable...

For what it's worth this "HJ police" would stand up for any kid getting great news only to be questioned by a bunch of has beens, want to be's and never were's

Thanks Cobb.... But let's just drop it. .. his cousin answered my question. .. he didn't see the harm in my question. ...I finally found his highlight vid. .. the kid is a beast. .. when you watch the tape he is a man amoung boys. ...he absolutely dominates....he has the size. .. And will get bigger and stronger. ... with good speed as a big guy. ... again congrats to Roe and good luck as a Lamar Cardinal.

Roe Wilkins comes from a hard working family out in Sour Lake. That boy has been in the hay field since he could walk.... This kid will be a big contributor for LU before his time is done, probably sooner than later... He makes straight "A's" and has the best "yes sir-no sir" attitude than anyone else I know... Roe will be successful in anything he chooses to do because he has a hell of a work ethic. Roe, I congratulate you for all of your accomplishments, good luck buddy... I also want to congratulate your mom and dad on a job well done... Diana and Monroe are 2 of the best people you will ever meet.... To answer some earlier questions, Roe was being recruited by several D-1 schools including Sam Houston, UT San Antonio, Montana, SMU, Texas State, and I think Stephen F.... If you ever wanted a kid to date your daughter, this would be the one.... Carry on.....

Congrats to Roe and his parents.  I had the opportunity to see him play a few times and he is a player.  Mentally tough and can play through pain.  That says a lot about him.  My guess would be that Lamar might want to put 30-40 more lbs on him and play him as a down-lineman on either side of the ball.  He has good enough speed and agility to be used in several positions though.  Lot of upside to this young man.   

• 3 weeks later...

Update to this thread and my first post!  On 12/10, Rice University's assistant head coach, D. Patterson, offered Roe Wilkins a full scholarship to play on the Rice's defensive line!  He has accepted this offer.  He was very grateful to LU for their offer to play on their OL but he really loves defense.  He is very excited about receiving an education from Rice and playing football with a fellow HJ teammate!  As his parent, I can honestly say that whatever comes his way is because of HIS hard work & dedication to making himself a better football player and his honest love for the game!