WELP ANOTHER YEAR IN THE BOOKS....

I seriously doubt that south east Texas is gonna grow very much. Even ad motiva expanded and exxon is thinking on it. How many people would that bring to the area. Most people won't move to this area because it is not very inviting. All I ever hear is people are moving out. It is sad, bit it is what it is. I hope we have a team represent in the state championship every year, but that is not likely. Just pull for your team and don't try to bring others down. Be proud of your colors because they are being worn by the kids. If you are always trying to pick a fight, then that is exactly what you get. I can't wait for next year

i understand dog. i disagreed with you alot throughout the year, but  i was wrong about PAM and after i really started to look at things and remove the homer glasses, this area is actually FULL of talent. when we play GOOD teams as a whole outside of the area preseaason or post season, we look lost. i'm not talking about some 2-8 team. i'm taking undefeated or one loss teams. the kids looked confused and out of position. it's not them. then you come home in the triangle and then all of sudden you playing looking good...until you leave from here again. I really want buddy to chime in because he has seen GREAT high school football and can make the comparison. i really thought PAM was about to turn that corner, but it's not going to happen with kenny ray. maybe he will look good once PAM drop into 5a, but still once again will get duped and out coached...GR a 5a did it to him. my point is i get cheer the kids on and support them because that's what i'm going to do. but when do you say you want more for the boys. we get slain for being monday morning or saturday morning arm chair coaches, but some of this BS is plain ridiculous. PAM for the 6-7 years POOR RUN DEFENSE. as a fan now i'm PISSED because if you don't have it figured out by year 3, maybe you should find someone else and don't skimp!!! if you know your son isn't ready to play QB yet and there is possibly a better choice, why not try the other choice. WB should NOT be in the state they are in. but they let this guy(school board) stick around. i'm sure the fans have made it known to leave. PNG- the sweet talkin teddy bear is gonna have them wooed over due to the past before he got there with no playoffs and now that's the standard and the fans are okay with it. Nederland- IMO i think neumann continues to have bad season like this for the next 5 years, he will go out on his own terms. i mean the man  done all he could do, but  if he don't start thinking out the box he's in trouble.

Mouse, I was just referencing your comment about a beat down nederland took twice that year. I saw both games. They were beat downs. These local districts pay decent money for head coaches, but they are not the highest by far. It is also hard to field a quality staff year in and year out. I will defend memorial in the fact that they are very small for 6a. But after the season, I am not sure they would make noise in 5a. I don't know anyone moving to pa. The school system has had issues and people really look at that. Beaumont is also in a mess right now but should be on the upswing. 215a owned us and seem to remind us in all threads. That's what happens when you get owned, you have to endure until you play again. I hope lamarque isn't on the way down, but like all things, football is a cycle. Look at college and pros. It only takes that special group to put your school on the map. Then it is very difficult to maintain.

Mouse I get exactly where you're coming from. Having lived in West Texas and North Texas the coaching is very different than around here as of late. Talent level up in North Tx is way more superior than around here, but one thing I've been seeing year after year since 03 is no one focuses on defense anymore consistently, its all about offense nowadays so if you dont have your best qb out there you are screwed regardless of how great skill position players you have. The only schools around here that can play a lick of defense is WOS and Newton. I thought Memorial had finally figured it out but they got worse as the season went on, so unfundamentally sound it was hard to watch. Ive seen 6man and 2a teams play better D. Memorial wont have another playoff run until they get a defensive minded individual as head coach, offense is never a problem there. If we were in 22-5a this yr we wouldn't have made the playoffs, thats sad. 

Just look at whats going on in Crosby, been known for years as just all offense now their backbone is defense and they still have a good offense, what a concept right? 

Mouse, I was just referencing your comment about a beat down nederland took twice that year. I saw both games. They were beat downs. These local districts pay decent money for head coaches, but they are not the highest by far. It is also hard to field a quality staff year in and year out. I will defend memorial in the fact that they are very small for 6a. But after the season, I am not sure they would make noise in 5a. I don't know anyone moving to pa. The school system has had issues and people really look at that. Beaumont is also in a mess right now but should be on the upswing. 215a owned us and seem to remind us in all threads. That's what happens when you get owned, you have to endure until you play again. I hope lamarque isn't on the way down, but like all things, football is a cycle. Look at college and pros. It only takes that special group to put your school on the map. Then it is very difficult to maintain.

dog LM is on it's last leg, not because of talent, but they take big hits every year in enrollment. there is talk about combining them with texas city. they are on the verge of becoming a 3a (2a) school. in about 4-5 years, LM may not exist any longer.

Mouse I get exactly where you're coming from. Having lived in West Texas and North Texas the coaching is very different than around here as of late. Talent level up in North Tx is way more superior than around here, but one thing I've been seeing year after year since 03 is no one focuses on defense anymore consistently, its all about offense nowadays so if you dont have your best qb out there you are screwed regardless of how great skill position players you have. The only schools around here that can play a lick of defense is WOS and Newton. I thought Memorial had finally figured it out but they got worse as the season went on, so unfundamentally sound it was hard to watch. Ive seen 6man and 2a teams play better D. Memorial wont have another playoff run until they get a defensive minded individual as head coach, offense is never a problem there. If we were in 22-5a this yr we wouldn't have made the playoffs, thats sad. 

Just look at whats going on in Crosby, been known for years as just all offense now their backbone is defense and they still have a good offense, what a concept right? 

that's why i started this rant so far you and dog are the only ones with sense that can talk about this without being butt hurt. in regards, you come at me stupid, you gonna get it back 10x and it's gonna be like a bad rash lol....anyway, everyone fail to see when you leave sugar gum drop falls(SETX) things get TOUGH!! so, we have gifted talent here. why can't we make it 5rd or better sending 3-4 teams??? IMO give it 5-7 years, this area will be no better than the inner city houston and dallas schools. we look good when we beat on each other...i guess horrible play calling and schemes with no adjustments add to the suspense and you have a "heck of a game". i watched LP and PAM play this year. going by the play by play and looking at stats, you thought it was a championship game. NEITHER coaching staff had a clue...bad  football= great football to those who accept mediocrity.

hey anyone seen my freaking cat???? he is always hungry and just hanging around...i'm worried because it's a freeze tonight...he's pretty stubborn. i told him to come back and he did once and he left and i told him come back after my nap...his name is footballer06...if you feed him, he will stick around your thread...he's a little....talkative and slightly irritating, but he's a good kitty...let me know....

mighymouse:

The problem with your argument is that you are comparing regions that are not the same in area, population, number of schools, etc to one another.  You want to say that SETX football programs are failing because they arent as successful those of the San Antonio, Austin, and the Metroplex, but this is a false comparison.  A more fair comparison would be to compare the success of NETX (East of 59 and North of Newton.  Also, if your standard of success is only those schools that have made the state semis in the past four years, I'm afraid you will find few schools outside of the major populations centers and the perenial 1A level powers that meet those standards.  Bottom line your standards are unreasonably high given the limited are you are criticizing.

mighymouse:

The problem with your argument is that you are comparing regions that are not the same in area, population, number of schools, etc to one another.  You want to say that SETX football programs are failing because they arent as successful those of the San Antonio, Austin, and the Metroplex, but this is a false comparison.  A more fair comparison would be to compare the success of NETX (East of 59 and North of Newton.  Also, if your standard of success is only those schools that have made the state semis in the past four years, I'm afraid you will find few schools outside of the major populations centers and the perenial 1A level powers that meet those standards.  Bottom line your standards are unreasonably high given the limited are you are criticizing.

in the beginning this was about the golden triangle. i'm comparing a 6a powerhouse to nederland. i'm comparing classification to classification. there is no reason a 5a school from the GT to be getting smashed year in and year out. 6A is a little tougher, but still doable. maybe SETX need it's own championship lol. i find it funny that  it's the same teams in the hunt EVERY YEAR for a big title run and nobody around can get out the freaking 3rd most of the time. not the kids fault. and you of all people know what i mean. dean colbert and PAM. you was right there calling for this guys head. well that type of mentality is spreading. nobody wants to fix anything.

As I sit here and read mighymouse post I can't help but agree with him, I've actually been saying what he's saying the entire year. Coaches in SETX aren't preparing kids to play at the next level, and the offensive/defensive schemes are elementary. Especially for teams like PAM & Central. It doesn't surprise me at all that most SETX teams(all of 22-5a) took first round exit. I was going to get on here and actually predict that it would happen but I know you guys would've killed me for being "negative" as you guys call it. The talent or #'s aren't the issue in SETX football it is essentially the IQ's of the coaches on the sideline. Only staff that I've witnessed that was really good was Coach Stump & his crew but even they probably weren't were they should've of been. If you guys go watch football out of the area i.e the Houston or DFW area you'll see the big difference in discipline, offensive/defensive schemes etc. Until we get better coaches SETX football will remain mediocre.

in the beginning this was about the golden triangle. i'm comparing a 6a powerhouse to nederland. i'm comparing classification to classification. there is no reason a 5a school from the GT to be getting smashed year in and year out. 6A is a little tougher, but still doable. maybe SETX need it's own championship lol. i find it funny that  it's the same teams in the hunt EVERY YEAR for a big title run and nobody around can get out the freaking 3rd most of the time. not the kids fault. and you of all people know what i mean. dean colbert and PAM. you was right there calling for this guys head. well that type of mentality is spreading. nobody wants to fix anything.

Ummm. . .  I think you have me confused with someone else.  I have no affiliation with  PAM and dont know who dean colbert is.  I think this response was meant for someone else.

However, to offer another more suitable comparison: Compare the success of the 6A/5A/4A teams that would be encompassed by a triangle drawn on a map connecting Tyler Longview and Lufkin.  By your standards schools in that area are failing as well because a think it has been two or three years since any of them got past round 4.

Ummm. . .  I think you have me confused with someone else.  I have no affiliation with  PAM and dont know who dean colbert is.  I think this response was meant for someone else.

However, to offer another more suitable comparison: Compare the success of the 6A/5A/4A teams that would be encompassed by a triangle drawn on a map connecting Tyler Longview and Lufkin.  By your standards schools in that area are failing as well because a think it has been two or three years since any of them got past round 4.

Lufkin has been down by their standards since Coach Outlaw passed away. They absolutely imploded versus Longview on Friday. 

As I sit here and read mighymouse post I can't help but agree with him, I've actually been saying what he's saying the entire year. Coaches in SETX aren't preparing kids to play at the next level, and the offensive/defensive schemes are elementary. Especially for teams like PAM & Central. It doesn't surprise me at all that most SETX teams(all of 22-5a) took first round exit. I was going to get on here and actually predict that it would happen but I know you guys would've killed me for being "negative" as you guys call it. The talent or #'s aren't the issue in SETX football it is essentially the IQ's of the coaches on the sideline. Only staff that I've witnessed that was really good was Coach Stump & his crew but even they probably weren't were they should've of been. If you guys go watch football out of the area i.e the Houston or DFW area you'll see the big difference in discipline, offensive/defensive schemes etc. Until we get better coaches SETX football will remain mediocre.

Call me a homer, but I think Dubois is a pretty good coach. He took HJ, IN ONE YEAR, from a team that didn't make the playoffs and barely winning any games to making it three rounds deep, only to lose to the state runner up. This year his team has improved beyond that and has only lost one game. If you ask me, he's doing something right!

I've lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth area also & I disagree about the talent level. The metro areas have more to choose from, doesn't mean they are better, just more of them. The kids that are good in this area would be good in any big city near or far. I attended many Stephenville games during the Briles era, they didn't play tackle football until a few yrs ago. Kids played tackle in 7th grade. We started a tackle program in Dublin Tx some 17+ yrs ago that just suspended play a fw yrs ago also. It was created by myself & former Tarleton State Univ athletes on a volunteer basis. I said that to say this, it ALL start at the pee-wee levels. My son didn't play on any super pee-wee league Teams, he played in 6th grade first year of tackle. I know without a doubt he can play against anyone. I trained him to be a Football player(any position, do what Coach asks of you) PERIOD.

I tell my Son often that if he played on the worse Team or had the worst Coaches, I still should be able to see if he's a good player or not. Players make Plays

It was no surprise that 225a got swept this year. I didn't want it to happen and since I pulled so hard for 225a, I wouldnt admit defeat. I think most people feel that way. There had to be that shread of doubt for some of the games. Now if 215a goes 3 or 4 rounds deep, then does that change things. The talent level in the area isn't what it once was. That is part of the cycle. People are disappointed in their team so it's the coaches fault. Ultimately it is. I judge a program by the things they do that they shouldn't be able to do. Overachieving year in and year out means coaches know what their doin. Hardin jeff is a perfect example of this for now. I think they are headed in the right direction and hope they stay on that track. Wos, lost their qb before season and are 8-2. To me that is success. Some people measure success by the ring at the end of the year. That is the ultimate success, but not the be all end all.

I was told some projects are on the horizon, should boost the population across South/Mid County, not too extreme but enough to inflate some enrollment numbers. Kinda got me thinking Memorial might just stay 6a. We'll see what happens. 

Not sure that those projects will bring in a load of talented kids to the area??? We have not been beating off the new home owners around here with a broom after the recent expansions.

Not a lot of room for growth in Groves, PN or even Nederland for that mater.

ahhhh...come back with to some healthy discussion on the topic. this is how i intended the thread to be. now with that being said, i wanna go back say 20-25 years ago. now, not many if any was getting past the 3rd or 4th then. why?? back then it was harder to make the the playoffs. depending how far you go back, only the district champ went to the playoffs. imagine it. going up against THE best from rd 1 till the end. MUCH tougher. then they were a little nice and started letting the second place team make it. i think with the watered down playoffs, their is no urgency to play better or take it that one step up. the coaches and players know they only need 2-3 wins. i say go back to the district champ or at the minimum second place teams. i'm willing to bet you see different schemes, better coaching, and better effort from the players. because at that point, nothing will be cupcake and you actually work your butt off for it. just my opinion.

Not sure that those projects will bring in a load of talented kids to the area??? We have not been beating off the new home owners around here with a broom after the recent expansions.

Not a lot of room for growth in Groves, PN or even Nederland for that mater.

I thought a new subdivision was going up in Groves? 

If I get the jest of what the point is here concerning the 5A and 6A programs (formerly 4 & 5A).  I agree that talent may not be biggest issue RATHER  the use/incorrect use of it is- this comes from the coaching mindset (s), schemes, programs and when it is across the board - district by district, in our setx districts, we are all great HERE until we move on to play football in other areas.  Success is not 6-5 record and 1 and done.  The high scoring offense takes breaks/has bad games and if you don't have a sound defense, then you lose. 

I just don't see any growth in our area in the future. Mouse said that about lamarque goin down. I am not familiar with Lamarque, but I would bet their growth is due to refining. The refineries hire, but do so locally and population doesn't change. Then you have that new hire move to a better city and enrollment drops. Coaches are humans. Some are good and some are bad. The worst thing a coach can do is play a kid that doesn't deserve to play. That pisses me off bad. It happens and from what I read it happens a lot. But be real, that can be a life lesson also. Bigcam touched on it. If you happen to be one of the elite players that made a living playing a "game" then consider yourself lucky. These kids can learn lessons on a team that they could only learn in the military. These are life lessons, not perfect world lessons. I hade the privilege to play for bobby August and won 2 games in two years. But the things I learned have helped me. I want every kid to b successful but that ain't how it works. I think success should be measured on the things that are accomplished that are above the expected. If you expect any team from this area to win state next year, then you need to quit drinking and go to rehab. It is possible and hopefully one will, but be real when you look at your team. If you wanna know how bad your predictions are, go back and read the threads from the beginning of the season.

I just don't see any growth in our area in the future. Mouse said that about lamarque goin down. I am not familiar with Lamarque, but I would bet their growth is due to refining. The refineries hire, but do so locally and population doesn't change. Then you have that new hire move to a better city and enrollment drops. Coaches are humans. Some are good and some are bad. The worst thing a coach can do is play a kid that doesn't deserve to play. That pisses me off bad. It happens and from what I read it happens a lot. But be real, that can be a life lesson also. Bigcam touched on it. If you happen to be one of the elite players that made a living playing a "game" then consider yourself lucky. These kids can learn lessons on a team that they could only learn in the military. These are life lessons, not perfect world lessons. I hade the privilege to play for bobby August and won 2 games in two years. But the things I learned have helped me. I want every kid to b successful but that ain't how it works. I think success should be measured on the things that are accomplished that are above the expected. If you expect any team from this area to win state next year, then you need to quit drinking and go to rehab. It is possible and hopefully one will, but be real when you look at your team. If you wanna know how bad your predictions are, go back and read the threads from the beginning of the season.

Good points Bro