Will lack of DEFENSE be our coverage area demise?

Yes and No (politicians answer)

The trend in rule changes over the past twenty years favor the offense which makes it almost impossible to have a real shut down defense.  Good defenses at all levels are more about containing scoring than stopping it which means offenses have to score efficiently.  So, if your team counts on being able to outscore a team and play no defense then they will be in trouble come playoff time.  This does seem to be a problem for some area teams.  Any team that can hold the opposition to under 24 should have a good chance of winning because most of them have offenses capable of scoring more.

Yes and No (politicians answer)

The trend in rule changes over the past twenty years favor the offense which makes it almost impossible to have a real shut down defense. Good defenses at all levels are more about containing scoring than stopping it which means offenses have to score efficiently. So, if your team counts on being able to outscore a team and play no defense then they will be in trouble come playoff time. This does seem to be a problem for some area teams. Any team that can hold the opposition to under 24 should have a good chance of winning because most of them have offenses capable of scoring more.

great post.

The most interesting battle of the 1st round in 3A DI may be the 3rd place team out of D12 playing the 2nd place team out of D11.  That should be either EC/Kvill/Buna Vs. Teague/Malakoff.  

I have personally seen Teague this year and they have an explosive dual-threat offense.  Defensively, I'm not sold yet.  Some people have Malakoff as the #1 team in the state right now.  I don't believe there is a considerable difference between the three in D12 right now, so that game should be telling.  It appears that all 3 teams in that district have had solid defensive performances.  

The two things I have seen in the past is schools are for the most part not playing kids on both sides and the better athletes are on the offensive side of the ball. Oh, last thing, tackling is a lost art. Some schools do get the better players in on spots that do help on both sides, I just think it could be done some more

Its all geard for offense . I mean you Have 3-4 receivers in a game , the splits are so wide , a lineman just has to turn the d lineman for a second and the qb on a speread option play can trip and fall and make a 5 yard gain . Qb's throwing the ball 40 times a game having 3, 000 yrds passing and rushing for almost 2,000 or throwng for 4,000 its crazy !!! Defense is gettng left in the dust and tackling is a forgotten art . You are suppose to get the man on the ground it doesnt necessarily means you have to knock him out just get him on the ground . How many times have you seen players hit a back hard and bounce off and ball carrier gets another 6 yards or scores ? Nobody wraps up anymore some of these formations the defenses have to go against they cant do nothing with them . Ask yourself this will there ever be another Dangerfield defense ? I remember when todd dodge passed for 3,000 yards back in 80 you didnt think that was gonna happen all the time , but it happens ALL the time now . I just think that with pros and protecting players (which is a good thing) mostly offensive players the advantage is the offense . I agree all of your major athletes are playing on the offensive side of the ball . We can give thanks to don shula for this , LOL !!!

Yoe 09, what your speculation on how your district sorts out, 1-4? 

Well, the district title should go down this week when Rockdale comes to Cameron.   My take.....

1. Cameron Yoe - You could compare this team to the 2011 team that went 0-4 in non-district before going undefeated in district play before losing to Tatum in the area round.  What makes these teams so similar is that both are extremely young.  In 2011, there were probably about 4-5 impactful seniors, and that is about what it is this year.  The non-district schedule has been tough and the team has had to battle through injuries, like most teams do.  Starting QB went down after game 3 and sophomore stepped in and has managed the offense well.  The senior should be back for Rockdale.  The Yoemen will be very strong over the next 3-4 years, but I think this team has potential to make a good run this year.  

2. Rockdale - Rockdale is 5-0 and comes in ranked #1 in the state by the likes of DCTF & TheOldCoach.  I have seen Rockdale 3 times this year (2 scrimmages and the recent game with Madisonville).  You could just not get really take much from the Mville game.  The Mustangs just have not been playing very well and turned the ball over around 6 times and had many costly penalties.  With a run-oriented offense, you can't have those mistakes.  The closest games for Rockdale have been Taylor (24-21) & Caldwell (38-31).  This is going to have to be the year for Rockdale.  They have a very large senior class, and essentially all of their impactful players come from that class.  The junior and sophomore classes are not nearly as strong.  This Rockdale team is not where they were last year, but are still top 10 material.  They also got their QB and RB back a few weeks ago.  

3. Lago Vista - Lago Vista has quietly become one of the more consistent program in the state over the past several years.  I have not seen Lago this year, but I do believe based on their results from this season and what I saw from their JV and fresh teams from last year, they are probably down a notch.  Their defense has kept them in games, so to me that does make them dangerous.  They did defeat Cameron & Refugio last year before the playoffs.  I still have them as a top 15 team.  

4. Troy - Troy has really disappointed me during their non-district schedule.  With what they had coming back, included with an undefeated JV from last year, I thought they were primed to take another step forward.  Instead, I think they have taken one backwards.  They do have a quality win over Centerville.  Where this team is going to be exposed in through the air.   Rockdale & Cameron will be mis-matches for the Trojans.  They actually beat LV by 2 TD's last year and will match-up better with teams that run the slot-t.  

Regardless of how the game turns out, Cameron/Rockdale should be a good one.  

Non believer in crosby defense until it shows it can slow down a central texas team from running the football. 300 from manor and close to 500 from Elgin.

It won't be the CenTex region that causes Crosby problems this year. It will be the multitude of D1 backs the Cougars could potentially face in the second round from one of the Fort Bend schools. The difference between those schools vs Elgin and Manor from the last couple of years is that other than Elkins they don't have the qb play to go with those potent running games.

If Crosby gets anybody other than Elkins, Ridge Point, Foster or George Ranch in the second round I think they have the defense to play for the region.

It won't be the CenTex region that causes Crosby problems this year. It will be the multitude of D1 backs the Cougars could potentially face in the second round from one of the Fort Bend schools. The difference between those schools vs Elgin and Manor from the last couple of years is that other than Elkins they don't have the qb play to go with those potent running games.

If Crosby gets anybody other than Elkins, Ridge Point, Foster or George Ranch in the second round I think they have the defense to play for the region.

Are you planning on Crosby going D1?

Are you planning on Crosby going D1?

Nah, Crosby is the third smallest school in the district but BH is still mathematically alive which is why I said it like that. It's much more likely that we get Angleton, Marshall or one of the other second tier teams from over there.

You guys are so myopic in your analyses of Reg 3.  Nobody out of 21/22 5A will make it past the winners of 23/24 5A.  George Range and Elkins will be waiting....

Where did you see anybody say we would? Elkins is the only team that can't be beaten if they play their game, GR can be beaten the same way Friendswood already did this year. We'll see Friday if they can even beat Foster. I think Crosby, King and Central all have the personnel to match up with Foster, GR, and Ridge Point. Of course we would all be underdogs to any of those teams so it's a good thing we would get to play the game.

GR can be beaten the same way Friendswood already did this year.

Obviously I am proud of our boys for beating GR, but there if you are counting on beating them same way then that means you are going to need a defensive score and a last gasp, 4th and goal from the 15 touchdown pass, to do it.  I'm not saying you cant and I'm not saying you cant beat them another way, just saying we had some really lucky breaks and some semi miraculous plays in that game.

Well, last year I would say it was offense because Ned had a really good D... There is not a dominant D this year in the area in my opinion. I know last year and the year before that Georgetown beat us because they had a superior QB compared to us and were much more dynamic and unpredictable with their play calling which keeps even a really good D off balance. Our D was exhausted in both of those games because we could not sustain drives.

Gtown beat you because they had twice as many seniors as you and no one playing both ways.

Gtown beat you because they had twice as many seniors as you and no one playing both ways.

yea, I remember their roster was between 60-65 players the first time they played and reloaded the next yr. Their D was fantastic the first time I saw them play.