SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 5

WOSgrad

LOL ohhhhh you guys. You guys are never happy huh LOL.... this is why we make these polls, to leave teams like Newton out! At least that is why I do it... I look for the team who should be in and I go BAM you don't get in Newton!! Take that Eagles!!!!! 

On a separate serious note, poll looks great and I think it is a lot more fair and equal to me. 

Beat West Sabine and you should be!

I think SA will eventually make their way on there. I'll take our 1-3 record and being prepared for any team we will come across over 3-1 or 4-0 playing a bunch of weak step sisters that some schools play.

I agree, we beat WS and we should be in the rankings, until then, no true need to complain. 

I also agree with you on stronger schedule. HD made this schedule with the expectation that we would be WAY DOWN this year based off graduating a ton of experience and key players. We normally have a tougher pre-district schedule, but I think with this young group winning some games and building confidence may be the best thing for them. And West Sabine right before district to get adjusted to what kind of speed we could expect in district/playoffs. 

You think SA handles Hemphill pretty easy this week?

I agree, we beat WS and we should be in the rankings, until then, no true need to complain.

I also agree with you on stronger schedule. HD made this schedule with the expectation that we would be WAY DOWN this year based off graduating a ton of experience and key players. We normally have a tougher pre-district schedule, but I think with this young group winning some games and building confidence may be the best thing for them. And West Sabine right before district to get adjusted to what kind of speed we could expect in district/playoffs.

You think SA handles Hemphill pretty easy this week?

I agree. I know y'all take a lot of junk from everyone but I think HD can be very competitive in the new district and that's all you can ask for. Confidence can do wonders for a bunch and a win over West Sabine would do wonders for y'all! How does y'all's district schedule set up?

Honestly, I think SA is the better ball club. Should've been up 3-4 scores on Garrison at halftime in week 1. Went toe to toe with 4A (but not good) Splendora for almost 3 qtrs without our starting QB. Overcame a shaky start (28-0 6 mins in) to plays well against a very good Dallas Episcopal. And just dominated Groveton worse than that score indicated. I would think if SA plays to somewhere close to their potential then they should be just fine. Don't think Hemphill matches up well with our kids. We've got some sneaky good athletes that don't get alto of credit and our young kids (play 7 freshmen or sophomores on O) are starting to come into their own.

The Old Coach ranks Newton:

3A DII

#5 Corrigan-Camden

#10 Newton

in the STATE, yet Newton does not crack the "top 13" here LOL.

Did I just read that the AP did not even have Newton in their top 22 teams that got votes? 

Hmm....... Not a single vote from the statewide AP voters. It is a conspiracy.

Guest ECBucFan

I have often wondered what the true intent of the poll is. Is it a authentic collaborative evaluation of the relative strengths of the areas teams, or, perhaps, is it an attempt to elicit impulsive responses from the passionate SETX fan base by using purposely provocative rankings? In the past, I perceived it to be the former, now, it appears to be the latter. (For the record, I am neutral on the intent).

So, lets cut to the chase and find out. I challenge tvc, Gabe, and the rest of the official voters to go on record and give an unqualified, straight answer to this:

Who would you honestly pick on a neutral field, if Newton and Tarkington go head to head.    

Anyone with even rudimentary knowledge of SETX HS football can EASILY answer this. So lets hear it pollsters. Lets find out where we really are here. :D

I have often wondered what the true intent of the poll is. Is it a authentic collaborative evaluation of the relative strengths of the areas teams, or, perhaps, is it an attempt to elicit impulsive responses from the passionate SETX fan base by using purposely provocative rankings? In the past, I perceived it to be the former, now, it appears to be the latter. (For the record, I am neutral on the intent).

So, lets cut to the chase and find out. I challenge tvc, Gabe, and the rest of the official voters to go on record and give an unqualified, straight answer to this:

Who would you honestly pick on a neutral field, if Newton and Tarkington go head to head.    

Anyone with even rudimentary knowledge of SETX HS football can EASILY answer this. So lets hear it pollsters. Lets find out where we really are here. :D

I will go further than your question, I would take Newton even if the game were played in Tarkington.  That is why at the beginning of the season, I had Newton (as did all of the other pollsters) #1 in my rankings.  Moreover, I had North Shore as #1 (as did every other pollster except for one) in my preseason rankings.

And to answer the other persistent question, yes strength of schedule is a consideration but it is not THE consideration.  There comes a point where only so much credit can be given to playing tough teams and wins against not so tough teams can be disregarded.  The truth of any poll is that when you lose you drop, you win and you rise.  And the fact that Newton and North Shore are 1-3, as tough as the three opponents that beat the Eagles and the Mustangs are, simply can't be ignored.

I doubt this answer will satisfy, but I hope it does provide some understanding.

Hypothetical head to head is not a big factor in these rankings (at least it is not for me). Strength of schedule is ONE of several factors considered. The fact is we have 11 voters and each one has it's own theory on how to vote. It's a consensus poll.

I rank on how a team is performing within it's own setting (classification, schedule). When district play starts and the majority of these teams start playing each other, then those REAL head to head match ups will begin to factor in heavily.

ECBucFan, there is no conspiracy here.

Early rankings paste a target on your back.Opponents will try every down to beat ya even if their team talent is not as strong.Pollsters(mag & statewide websites) paint readers a mirage who their staff thinks the real players are in every dist,every region(they/we use the tools=stats & college offers/past history/returning starters/etc. in decision making).Every week they/we scratching heads w/upsets & they get PAID for it.Thing is they & maybe some of us forget the Special Teams Play & Kicking game=0 stats & many times=game changers.Carry on folks we made a Choice.I'd love to see what a Poster poll would look like.I attend many games every week & many other staff pollsters do also,our/your Poll is opinion of 11 staff members,we police this board & spend our time to give you the best knowledgeable info we can.We don't have a sit down meeting w/11 staff members & make decisions"We are working folk just like You & we do value your opinions but may not as a whole totally always agree

Newton beats a highly overrated WOS team. Newton has owned the deep woods of east Texas and has played stiff non district schedule and is still on top the pine trees. Crosby over King really? You say you look at stats then how is that possible? King is putting up off the chart numbers grant it we haven't played anyone yet but the margin of victory is overwhelming. It's ok Crosby has to come to Crenshaw this year!!

The pollsters are doing a good job.A poll is nothing more than a conversation starter.If it was anything more you never would have to play any games.Besides that I bleed purple and can tell you Newton is missing something this year.They turn the ball over too many times and there defense is sorely lacking.

Newton would wipe the floor with 2-14 on this poll

I see three games on here that are pretty solid bets for Newton. Woodville, Hemphill, and Hardin. Every other team on here could beat Newton. Kirbyville and Corrigan-Camden could, in fact, beat the snot out of Newton. This coming from someone who has seen all three teams play. HJ could put it to them too.