SETXsports High School Football Rankings - Week 5

WOSgrad

The pollsters are doing a good job.A poll is nothing more than a conversation starter.If it was anything more you never would have to play any games.Besides that I bleed purple and can tell you Newton is missing something this year.They turn the ball over too many times and there defense is sorely lacking.

.... and there you have it. That is all they are whether on setxsports, Old Coach, the AP or Dave Campbell's. It is water cooler talk put out for public consumption for entertainment purposes only. Except in college sports where teams are selected for particular bowls in football or seeded in basketball based on polls and opinions, polls have no bearing on who plays who or who wins or loses.  

Apparently these polls are doing their job because it is sure starting conversations.  :)

I agree. I know y'all take a lot of junk from everyone but I think HD can be very competitive in the new district and that's all you can ask for. Confidence can do wonders for a bunch and a win over West Sabine would do wonders for y'all! How does y'all's district schedule set up?

Honestly, I think SA is the better ball club. Should've been up 3-4 scores on Garrison at halftime in week 1. Went toe to toe with 4A (but not good) Splendora for almost 3 qtrs without our starting QB. Overcame a shaky start (28-0 6 mins in) to plays well against a very good Dallas Episcopal. And just dominated Groveton worse than that score indicated. I would think if SA plays to somewhere close to their potential then they should be just fine. Don't think Hemphill matches up well with our kids. We've got some sneaky good athletes that don't get alto of credit and our young kids (play 7 freshmen or sophomores on O) are starting to come into their own.

I think SA does beat HH this week as well. Those kids definitely play hard though and there's no quit in them. It's a 180 from the last cople years for Hemphill. You can't question SA's schedule up to this point, ranking right up there with Alto and Centerville for toughest 2A schedule in SE/E TX.

Pre-season, HD's district schedule looked to be pretty balanced as the consensus was that CV was top dog (by a mile) and the Groveton and HD were gonna duke it out for second place. We catch Groveton away and WH at home to start district. Looks like Groveton isn't on par with the rest of the district, but I never count the Indians out, they just know how to win. Next we go to Andersen-Shiro which will be a tough game, followed up by away at Centerville. Finish the season off at home against Lovelady which I think could be the battle for second place.

I just told HD55 the other day though that I don't think our district goes chalk. CV will be favored in every game and should win-out. But I have a sneaking suspiscion that HD, AS, and LL could all beat each other to create a three way tie for second.... and with three teams going to the playoffs, someone gets left out. We're weeks away from seeing, and any of those three teams could distance themselves from the others but who knows who it'll be. Groveton may turn things around and be in the hunt as well. CV has a bad night and maybe LL or AS knocks them off, as CV plays away against both of those teams. Should be very interesting. Not sure if it'll be as highly ranked and competitive as the Alto, WS, SA, SV district of the past two seasons, but it definitely has some depth and uncertainty.  

Guest ECBucFan

Let the discussion commence!

Whelp, I thought there was an open invitation for open discussion, but it does appear several of the official pollsters are up in a knot. AAW, I did not imply there was really "a conspiracy" for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes: 

I was just havin' fun with y'all, really. No need to take things hard... I am moving on & out of this thread now. C ya.

Whelp, I thought there was an open invitation for open discussion, but it does appear several of the official pollsters are up in a knot. AAW, I did not imply there was really "a conspiracy" for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

I was just havin' fun with y'all, really. No need to take things hard... I am moving on & out of this thread now. C ya.

No need to leave.  We are all here to have fun.

I think SA does beat HH this week as well. Those kids definitely play hard though and there's no quit in them. It's a 180 from the last cople years for Hemphill. You can't question SA's schedule up to this point, ranking right up there with Alto and Centerville for toughest 2A schedule in SE/E TX.

Pre-season, HD's district schedule looked to be pretty balanced as the consensus was that CV was top dog (by a mile) and the Groveton and HD were gonna duke it out for second place. We catch Groveton away and WH at home to start district. Looks like Groveton isn't on par with the rest of the district, but I never count the Indians out, they just know how to win. Next we go to Andersen-Shiro which will be a tough game, followed up by away at Centerville. Finish the season off at home against Lovelady which I think could be the battle for second place.

I just told HD55 the other day though that I don't think our district goes chalk. CV will be favored in every game and should win-out. But I have a sneaking suspiscion that HD, AS, and LL could all beat each other to create a three way tie for second.... and with three teams going to the playoffs, someone gets left out. We're weeks away from seeing, and any of those three teams could distance themselves from the others but who knows who it'll be. Groveton may turn things around and be in the hunt as well. CV has a bad night and maybe LL or AS knocks them off, as CV plays away against both of those teams. Should be very interesting. Not sure if it'll be as highly ranked and competitive as the Alto, WS, SA, SV district of the past two seasons, but it definitely has some depth and uncertainty.

Good set up for y'all. Should be 2-0 going into last 3 where ya need to be. Groveton is weak. If it doesn't downpour the entire first quarter SA might win that one scoring 70. Seen west Hardin and they aren't very good either.

Newton crowd likes flying under radar , but we sure like everyone who is standing up for us .

Corrigan has alot of respect for newton. And has had nothing but good things to say about y'all. We know your schedule has been tough. And y'all are without a doudt a better team than what your record is.
But with all that being said... for you to say newton is gonna destroy Corrigan! Lol ... well no comment.
I expect it to be nothing but a slugfest ! Whoever wins will be the district champs.
Best of luck to newton this week!
Corrigan is pulling for yall as always.

Newton beats a highly overrated WOS team. Newton has owned the deep woods of east Texas and has played stiff non district schedule and is still on top the pine trees. Crosby over King really? You say you look at stats then how is that possible? King is putting up off the chart numbers grant it we haven't played anyone yet but the margin of victory is overwhelming. It's ok Crosby has to come to Crenshaw this year!!

Huh? Newton has never beaten WOS.

1988 WOS 24 Newton 0

1989 WOS 47 Newton 9

1996 WOS 12 Newton 6

1997 WOS 30 Newton 0

1998 WOS 10 Newton 0 (3A State Champ by the way that year)

1999 WOS 18 Newton 0

Gonna need to score more than your 15 points combined in all prior games to beat WOS this year... sorry.  Good luck.