CROSBY vs ANGLETON

cougar14

Big test on the road for the Cougars next week. Angleton took advantage of 3 lost Brazoswood fumbles to get a 44-21 victory in their opener. Angleton usually has pretty athletic skill players and this year has a very good offensive line. They rushed for over 300 yards in the win but also gave up nearly 250 on the ground at a 7ypc clip. They only attempted 9 total passes during the game. I think this will actually be a pretty good matchup for Crosby from a scheme standpoint. Angleton wants to run the ball and Crosby showed their D might be a little more stout this year holding Ned to less than 2.5ypc on 35 attempts. Angleton also surrendered 7ypc on the ground which has to be encouraging for Crosby after averaging over 10ypc in the opener. Numbers aside, this should be a tight one down in Brazoria county.

Angleton took advantage of what's usually a pretty weak Brazoswood team, I think they've only been over .500 once in the last 5 years. I was told they fumbled 4 or 5 times and lost 3. Hard to win like that if you're Brazoswood. They had a back go for 143 on 22 carries and the qb rushed for 88 yards on just 9 carries. I think Crosby should be able to reach the 300 yard mark with our backs relatively easy and if we catch the ball this week should be able to hit some big plays. IMO, Crosby wins this one if they can get to 35 points. I doubt we fumble 4 times or give up 313 rushing yards. Angleton much like other run heavy teams becomes a lot less effective when the ball gets put in the air. I think whatever team asserts their run game on the other will win, I like Crosby's chances of doing that. Not just on Angleton either, that goes for any 5A defense in this region.

Angleton coaches sat in front of me Friday night taking notes. They didn't say much about Crosby but they sure remembered playing NEDERLAND... lol. Anyways, Angleton is going to beat Crosby. I don't think it will be a close game at all.

They remember playing Ned? Angleton was sub .500 last year, I bet they remember playing a bunch of people, especially Terry and Foster who blew them out in district play. They also played GR in district last year, I'm sure they have a lot of memories.lol. If it wasn't going to be a close game with Crosby who gave up 83 rushing yards it surely would have been a beating for Ned who gave up the same 300 yards Brazoswood did.

We'll I expect a great game from the Cougars. Anytime you get a win over Nederland then you know they are going to be tough to beat.

Now regarding last weeks game against BWood, that was really a good start against a rival. Yes we gave up about 140 yards to their RB, but 70 yards was on one play and we won't face a kid, or should I say grown man, like him again. That guy was 6'0, 255 lbs and was bulldozer with speed and that is no exaggeration. Also their QB got 60 yards of his 88 on one play, so the defense played ok for their first game. We've become a power team running the shotgun wing-t. Don't have those 4.4 forty kids in abundance like we've had, but have 2 big backs and a big oline that gets good push. It should be great game and good test with our next 2 games after Crosby being Houston Chavez and Westbury.

These are Crosby's two backs. The first is a junior transfer who rushed for either 14 carries and 167 yards or 15 for 183 depending on where you look in his first game with the team. The second is a freshman who rushed for 80 yards on 6 carries his first varsity game. The qb can also run but not sure he was credited with a rushing attempt in the opener.

Donta Allen - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2833851/donta-allen

Craig Williams - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2833851/donta-allen

Both kids should improve as they get more familiar with the system and blocking schemes.