A flood of new posters soon?

So, are we only to support the "gifted" ones who land these DI scholly's?

I am always happy for anyone to play at next level and get a free education. But I support the team first and foremost. It takes precedence over any individual accomplishment or accolade. 

There are teams full of players who do not get scholarships, I suppose we are to forget about them. :rolleyes:

For 95% of the players on our SETX teams, this is the only football career they will have. I see nothing wrong in wanting the team success for those players sake more so than wanting to see DI schollys.

They don't worry about that stuff here SCDAWGS. They'd rather win a second round playoff game than have D1 recruits, it means more at the plant than the kids getting a free education and a jump start on life. I'm sure you could see that with all the references they made alluding to that vs getting to the third round which means a hell of a lot less in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck to Dakota though. I see D'Vonta Hinton committed to Tech also, if they can sign him then he and your boy should make a formidable tandem in Lubbock. Hopefully they don't fall into the Big 12 trap of LB's not being able to play the run. I'll be watching though.

them making it 3 rounds deep with average players not getting rides should not be your concern here. 

The real issue here is having a team full of D1 players and cant get out of the first couple rounds.   Sounds more like a talent pool not program support.

If they are making it in D1 it sounds like its from pure individual athletic ability or personal achievments and not from being coached up or providing successful enviroment!  Not sure that is much of a selling point for your program!  just my thoughts!

them making it 3 rounds deep with average players not getting rides should not be your concern here. 

The real issue here is having a team full of D1 players and cant get out of the first couple rounds.   Sounds more like a talent pool not program support.

If they are making it in D1 it sounds like its from pure individual athletic ability or personal achievments and not from being coached up or providing successful enviroment!  Not sure that is much of a selling point for your program!  just my thoughts!

:) exactly.

So, are we only to support the "gifted" ones who land these DI scholly's?

I am always happy for anyone to play at next level and get a free education. But I support the team first and foremost. It takes precedence over any individual accomplishment or accolade. 

There are teams full of players who do not get scholarships, I suppose we are to forget about them. :rolleyes:

For 95% of the players on our SETX teams, this is the only football career they will have. I see nothing wrong in wanting the team success for those players sake more so than wanting to see DI schollys.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The only reason people get on this board and post in the very first place is because they want the TEAM to do well or enjoy talking about them. Some people on here aren't die hard fans that lose sleep over a loss or even a bad season. Some posters follow the board ONLY because they have children or relatives playing so they view the game a little differently than your local zealot.

I don't allow my son to go out and risk paralysis several times a year just to say he plays ball or is on the local team. I see it as a means to an end, or better yet, a beginning. I let him play because he likes it but also because it's a shot to get away from Crosby, TX. You have to excuse people like SCitis if she's not too concerned with a 2nd round loss to Magnolia West, she's far more concerned with if UCLA or K-State is the best school for Aaron. Does VNUPE want WOS to win a title? Of course he does, but ask him if he wants it at the expense of his son playing major college ball? And that's not just for D1 kids either. Ask CougarCal if he'd rather have a bi-district playoff win over his old stomping grounds in PNG or have his boy get a scholly. To a man I can already tell you what the answer is and it's absolutely nothing wrong with people who think that way. 

We all want to win, but not everybody is willing to win at all cost. Do you really think Patrick Hudson's parents are concerned with him winning district or playoff games? Heck no but they'll tell people who ask they are. The ONLY focus in that house is having him healthy enough to be able to sign his free ride out of Silsbee.

So , football is a team sport but you are saying some players should save themselves and hold out on the TEAM for their own benefit?  So what happens when they do that again in college? Or for the few that make it the pros?   EX #1 the Miami Heat.   Kinda defeats the purpose of having team sports.Maybe they should just play an individual sport instead.

So , football is a team sport but you are saying some players should save themselves and hold out on the TEAM for their own benefit?  Kinda defeats the purpose of having team sports.   EX #1  Miami Heat.   Maybe they should just play an individual sport instead.

How stupid is that comment? SMH, how would you even get the scholarship in the first place if you weren't going hard? Kids aren't on here talking, parents and other adults are. PARENTS of some children aren't as concerned with team results as die hard fans are. I know that's a hard concept to follow when your kid can't play but it's actually the case in a lot of instances.

Do you care if the company you work for beats other companies at whatever it is y'all do? Certainly you do. If the other company doubles you salary though would you go work for them? Probably so, but why? It's because you have a vested interest in something dear to you which may be you family or your retirement. So in essence the name on the back of the shirt becomes more important than the one on the front. Same goes for the rest of life including Friday nights.

Guest Farmer Fran

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The only reason people get on this board and post in the very first place is because they want the TEAM to do well or enjoy talking about them. Some people on here aren't die hard fans that lose sleep over a loss or even a bad season. Some posters follow the board ONLY because they have children or relatives playing so they view the game a little differently than your local zealot.

I don't allow my son to go out and risk paralysis several times a year just to say he plays ball or is on the local team. I see it as a means to an end, or better yet, a beginning. I let him play because he likes it but also because it's a shot to get away from Crosby, TX. You have to excuse people like SCitis if she's not too concerned with a 2nd round loss to Magnolia West, she's far more concerned with if UCLA or K-State is the best school for Aaron. Does VNUPE want WOS to win a title? Of course he does, but ask him if he wants it at the expense of his son playing major college ball? And that's not just for D1 kids either. Ask CougarCal if he'd rather have a bi-district playoff win over his old stomping grounds in PNG or have his boy get a scholly. To a man I can already tell you what the answer is and it's absolutely nothing wrong with people who think that way. 

We all want to win, but not everybody is willing to win at all cost. Do you really think Patrick Hudson's parents are concerned with him winning district or playoff games? Heck no but they'll tell people who ask they are. The ONLY focus in that house is having him healthy enough to be able to sign his free ride out of Silsbee.

So in other words, its all about me. That is a load of horse crap!

My son plays college football and he will tell you first hand, the worst thing that happened to him was losing by 3 points in the playoffs in High School. My son wanted that playoff win more than anything for the team, because that would have meant getting to practice and play for another week with his teammates. As a parent I wanted that for him as well, I was not thinking about a possible college scholarship at that point, I was supporting him and his team

95% of the players do no receive scholarships. So if the parents of those kids had the mentality of you, cougar14, and others like you, there would not be enough players to even play the game at the high school level.

Those 95% parents will never have that attitude because they have no illusions of their kids playing college football. Those are the people I said earlier that have the "win at all cost" mentality. Those people would choose playoff wins over scholarships because their kids were never in line for them in the first place.  

So in other words, its all about me. That is a load of horse crap!

My son plays college football and he will tell you first hand, the worst thing that happened to him was losing by 3 points in the playoffs in High School. My son wanted that playoff win more than anything for the team, because that would have meant getting to practice and play for another week with his teammates. As a parent I wanted that for him as well, I was not thinking about a possible college scholarship at that point, I was supporting him and his team

First of all congratulations, if losing by three points was the worst thing that happened to him he's had an unbelievable life. He better had wanted that win more than anything or he shouldn't have been playing. Ask him if he would've rather had that playoff win or play in the Big 12 if he could only do one though, he'll answer 100 out of 100 times the same way. I would hope you would be watching your boy at the game instead of daydreaming about college, when it's not game time though you should ALWAYS be thinking about your kid's future whenever possible, or at least I do. If you don't I think you the outlier, not me. 

Those 95% parents will never have that attitude because they have no illusions of their kids playing college football. Those are the people I said earlier that have the "win at all cost" mentality. Those people would choose playoff wins over scholarships because their kids were never in line for them in the first place.  

Yeah, so only the 5% want their kids to play at the next level.  And the rest don't care about it.  Right....  :rolleyes:

Guest Farmer Fran

They choose playoff wins, because it is called school pride and they support those athletes because they bust their tail day in and day out for the Team.

For the record, you do not have to have a scholarship to go to college

Yeah, so only the 5% want their kids to play at the next level.  And the rest don't care about it.  Right....  :rolleyes:

AAW put that number out there. I believe MOST parents want their kids to play at the next level and MOST parents value their own kid's success over team success. How often do you hear about Daddy going to the school because Johnny isn't playing, even though the team is winning? If your son is 5-6 130 at 18 years old I don't think many of those parents have any illusion of their boy suiting up on Saturdays. Not the reasonable ones, and yeah, the rest who don't fall into that category could care less either way. 

They choose playoff wins, because it is called school pride and they support those athletes because they bust their tail day in and day out for the Team.

For the record, you do not have to have a scholarship to go to college

FOR THE RECORD: Most kids who's parents can't afford it WOULDN'T have gone to college if they didn't get a scholarship. Those are the kids that you drive by later and talk about how they haven't made anything of themselves. I know Hannity and O'Reilly tell you different but that's the way it is. Who are you being prideful too? Other people in Silsbee? School pride is bragging rights and nothing more, it means absolutely nothing in a job interview unlike a degree.

I said 95% did not receive scholarships, not that those players and parents did not want them.

The fact remains, the team is more important than any individual.

The team is more important to the vast majority of people watching the game. To some parents and especially recruiters the individual performance is though and you'll never be able to sway me off that. I'm sure Nick Saban or Tony Brown's parents could care less Ozen only won three games last year. The much more pressing issue was how well he could flip his hips to break on a dig route.

Wow. And that's what's wrong with the kids these days.

There's nothing wrong with the kids. My little cub hasn't missed a summer workout, practice or game because he's bought into the program and the team. I guess his most painful moment is a beat down by Dayton I hear about more than I would care to. I bet the boy would give me his phone if they could've won that game.

I think kids naturally do that because the guy next to them would for one, but I also teach him that. He knows his individual accolades are not important if there are no W's to show for it. I think most parents try to teach something similar.

It might be something wrong with me maybe, but I see it as having the kid's best interest at heart. I just watched Kaleb Denny tear his ACL over here for BH trying to make a playoff push after he had already committed to Texas to play baseball. How did that value him? I bet his dad let him play against his own better judgement because Kaleb wanted to. He bled, sweat and banged with those boys and he wasn't going to dare let them down. To me as a parent that's not worth it and if I'm wrong then so be it. My uncles think the same way and I just had a pair of cousins graduate with 7 letters and 2 degrees between them from Big 12 schools. I'm all about the team, ask Bobcat55 how hard and sometime annoying I can be recruiting for the home team at work. I got real stats in person. I guess since I been watching Crosby go to the playoffs for a decade straight I just take that for granted? I kind of look at it as one extra playoff win doesn't equal changing one kid's life. Maybe that's just me though.

If the kids set a goal to make the playoffs & showcase their individual talent in the grand scheme of Team, that's great. My son is being taught to live the Panther program in a better place than he found it. He has an obligation to the younger kids coming behind him to leave a Legacy. If my son does his job as a leader & teammate, his individual accolades will show in the process. We sent him to camp to showcase his individual talent. He will showcase his talents on the field in the Team scheme his Coaches put him in. Scouts & Coaches know what they are looking for so there's no need for selfishness, but guys still have a "get mine" attitude which often kills Team vibe. Newsflash: you can accomplish individual goals with Team. A playoff berth would be great for Ozen & could possibly get my Son in front of another recruiter as well as his teammates. For once I kinda understand a little of what Cougar is saying about risk of injury, but as True Believers in Christ, we walk by Faith, not by sight. Marching to the Playoffs

If the kids set a goal to make the playoffs & showcase their individual talent in the grand scheme of Team, that's great. My son is being taught to live the Panther program in a better place than he found it. He has an obligation to the younger kids coming behind him to leave a Legacy. If my son does his job as a leader & teammate, his individual accolades will show in the process. We sent him to camp to showcase his individual talent. He will showcase his talents on the field in the Team scheme his Coaches put him in. Scouts & Coaches know what they are looking for so there's no need for selfishness, but guys still have a "get mine" attitude which often kills Team vibe. Newsflash: you can accomplish individual goals with Team. A playoff berth would be great for Ozen & could possibly get my Son in front of another recruiter as well as his teammates. For once I kinda understand a little of what Cougar is saying about risk of injury, but as True Believers in Christ, we walk by Faith, not by sight. Marching to the Playoffs

This says it all! Great post cam!