Old Coach - mag

Thumbing through the Old Coach mag at Wal-Mart they had Dayton ranked 48th, big Ned 17th and Crosby somewhere in between, also had Crosby winning district . I lost my motivation to buy the rag. ( didn't buy Dave Campbells mag either ) :lol: :) ;)

Well, Eagle Point beat me down today so I was just going to sulk and order pizza. Instead I think I'll go out and get Chinese now, it'll give me a hall pass to Wal-Mart to go confirm this.

The old coach predictions for 21-5A:

1. Crosby
2. Dayton
3. Kingwood Park
4. Barbers Hill
5. CE King

22-5A

1. Nederland
2. Central
3. PNG
4. GCM
5. Ozen

21-6A

1. North Shore
2. PAM
3. La Porte
4. Deer Park
5. Westbrook

Seems a little more accurate than Dave, at least the statics and enrollments are. The team write-ups also seem better put together. The whole entire magazine is dedicated to high school football vs DC covering a little of everything.

*Brackett has 5A going 2-2 in bi-district and everybody except Ned losing in the second round with them exiting in the third. They also have WOS losing to Gilmer in the finals.

Thumbing through the Old Coach mag at Wal-Mart they had Dayton ranked 48th, big Ned 17th and Crosby somewhere in between, also had Crosby winning district . I lost my motivation to buy the rag. ( didn't buy Dave Campbells mag either ) :lol: :) ;)

I really like the mag, but I don't think I could pick Crosby to win district this year. No way they can be as good as last year. I think Dayton should be the pick.

Yawn. How did the Elgin game finish?

It finished the same way Dayton's did, with a second round L and a trip back to the house. Don't be surprised if we have the best trigger man in the district when it's all said and done. You can't tell me he doesn't look like Walter, except he's more of a passer. Best thing about it is he has 20+ games left to play for the Cougs. He also has one of the top targets in the state for the 2016 class. The bi-district has been put on notice.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/576711/tristen-cotton

The old coach is probably more accurate than DC. Still think at least in Dayton's district they find a way to win it.

Reading the magazine I realize that both BH and Dayton have to go to the playoffs for Crosby to go D1.

It also says Dayton was 1-4 on the road last year and it looks like the road schedule is even harder, maybe that's why they picked us to win district.

*off topic

The Old Coach rated Keenan Murphy, Shane Hudson and Josh Boyd as some of the top prospects in the state for the 2016 class

Reading the magazine I realize that both BH and Dayton have to go to the playoffs for Crosby to go D1.

It also says Dayton was 1-4 on the road last year and it looks like the road schedule is even harder, maybe that's why they picked us to win district.

*off topic

The Old Coach rated Keenan Murphy, Shane Hudson and Josh Boyd as some of the top prospects in the state for the 2016 class

Wouldn't hold my breath for BH being in the playoffs if I were you.

Wouldn't hold my breath for BH being in the playoffs if I were you.

BH is undersized, slow, and predictable . . . And it's never been an excuse before. As crappy as BH played last year(I'm sure competition was a factor), they were still basically 3 points away from making the playoffs and probably would have slapped LCM around the same way Dayton did. The ONLY reason they didn't make the playoffs was because they couldn't stop laying the ball on the ground.

It's going to be a vicious fight between BH, King and NC for that last spot. In all honesty I believe if BH doesn't make the playoffs the seat under Gage could start to warm up. He's probably the highest paid coach in the SETX area and only has one playoff win to show for about a half million dollars in salary over the last 4 years.

BH is undersized, slow, and predictable . . . And it's never been an excuse before. As crappy as BH played last year(I'm sure competition was a factor), they were still basically 3 points away from making the playoffs and probably would have slapped LCM around the same way Dayton did. The ONLY reason they didn't make the playoffs was because they couldn't stop laying the ball on the ground.

It's going to be a vicious fight between BH, King and NC for that last spot. In all honesty I believe if BH doesn't make the playoffs the seat under Gage could start to warm up. He's probably the highest paid coach in the SETX area and only has one playoff win to show for about a half million dollars in salary over the last 4 years.

that slow undersized predictable team has given dayton fits the last 3 years. Why do you think that's happening? I mean Gage could easily be 3-1 against Dayton with 3 consecutive playoff appearances and I think BH would be fine with just beating dayton.

That's true about the 2016 class. But some people and some coaches are forgetting the 2015 class

The '15 class is solid. I think Brown, Ramirez, and Opi if he gets in the right situation all play at the next level. IMO though the '16 and '17 classes are the two deepest I've ever seen including last year's with the Twins and Raelon.

that slow undersized predictable team has given dayton fits the last 3 years. Why do you think that's happening? I mean Gage could easily be 3-1 against Dayton with 3 consecutive playoff appearances and I think BH would be fine with just beating dayton.

It's two reasons IMO. One, Dayton tries to still play kids both ways. That's brutal against a team that might not even attempt a forward pass all night. At Crosby we just hold, at BH they cut you and crack you from whistle to whistle. Two, this isn't a knock on Dayton because Lake Travis did it for years, but the Broncos are a finesse team now.

For everything that BH is, the one thing they aren't is finesse. They're like a wealthy version of Vidor, kids are there play for 48 minutes. They played the best defense all year on Austin and even had him getting up slow a few times, I think it was his lowest average of the year. BH wants to run it right at you and Dayton doesn't like to stop it so close games or an L is what you're going to get.

Now enough of 'at-a-boys for BH, the real reason Dayton struggles with the Eagles is because Stew doesn't coach them anymore. #welcometotherealworld

It's two reasons IMO. One, Dayton tries to still play kids both ways. That's brutal against a team that might not even attempt a forward pass all night. At Crosby we just hold, at BH they cut you and crack you from whistle to whistle. Two, this isn't a knock on Dayton because Lake Travis did it for years, but the Broncos are a finesse team now.

For everything that BH is, the one thing they aren't is finesse. They're like a wealthy version of Vidor, kids are there play for 48 minutes. They played the best defense all year on Austin and even had him getting up slow a few times, I think it was his lowest average of the year. BH wants to run it right at you and Dayton doesn't like to stop it so close games or an L is what you're going to get.

Now enough of 'at-a-boys for BH, the real reason Dayton struggles with the Eagles is because Stew doesn't coach them anymore. #welcometotherealworld

There is some truth to that IMHO... Hancock is really comfortable now at the HC position. Wait for it... Yall are gonna see the Broncos back like they were when "Stew" was making all the calls as HC.  :D

As a native Hillian and one who has followed the Eagles forever; BH has never had the "talent" that a number of local schools have had.  It just seems we're in talent bubble like Wichita Falls is in a precipitation bubble.  Be that as it may, one thing the Hill does consistently is put a team on the field with heart.  Heart won't typically take a superior team down; but on occasion, it will surprise a few of the more talented teams which also comes with superior talent and ego and of course, those are fun games to watch.  I am by no means advocating mediocrity; but on a emotional level only, I am very proud of the heart the Eagles show year in and year out.  One day, we might get that talent to add to the heart and when we do, we'll have something to crow about.