Carroll To Hire Hal Wasson

Dallas Morning News . . 28 applicants for SLC job

Dallas Morning News

January 18, 2007

A six-person committee will meet at 2:30 p.m. Thursday to decide the finalists for the job of football head coach at Southlake Carroll. Twenty-eight persons applied for the job, said Derek Citty, Carroll ISD chief personnel officer.

Seven of the 28 are from out of state, Citty said, and most whom applied are high school football head coaches. Citty said Carroll hopes to name a head coach by the end of next week after a round of interviews early next week with each finalist.

The job posting requested that those whom applied have at least Class 4A or 5A assistant or head coaching football experience, Citty said. Carroll accepted applications through Tuesday.

A six-person committee consisting of Citty, Carroll ISD superintendent David Faltys, athletic director Ronnie Tipps, Carroll Senior High principal Daniel Presley, Carroll High principal Rick Westfall and booster club president Jack Luna will select the finalists.

Here are the 28 who applied for the job, according to Citty:

John Addicks: Athletic director/head coach, Lake Hill Preparatory

Edward Arledge: Head coach/boys athletic coordinator, Clear Brook

Gabriel Alvarado: Defensive coordinator, George Jenkins, Lakeland, Fla.

R.J. Bond: Head coach, DeLay Middle School, Lewisville

James Brown: Athletic coordinator/head coach, Brazosport

Mike Burzawa: Head coach, Driscoll Catholic, Addison, Ill.

Lonnie Cook: Head coach, Holy Trinity Catholic, Temple, Texas

Kevin Ellison: Varsity assistant coach, Pflugerville Connally

Bryan Erwin: Athletic coordinator/head coach, La Marque

Clint Finley: Defensive coordinator/QB coach, Schulenburg

Rod Fuhrmann: Head coach, New Waverly

Vance Gibson: Head coach, Frisco

Tony Heath: Head coach, Pearland

Tyrone Hughes: Assistant coach, Dallas Jesuit

Kevin Kopecky: Head coach, St. Thomas Aquinas, Overland Park, Kan.

Eugene Lockhart: Former Cowboys linebacker

Dennis Lorio: Assistant coach, Parkview Baptist School, Baton Rouge, La.

Todd McVey: Former head coach, McKinney

Eli Melton: Varsity assistant coach, Southlake Carroll

Weldon Nelms: Athletic director/head coach, Wimberley

Phil Pettey: Former NFL and collegiate assistant coach, former NFL player

Johnny Ringo: Head coach, Plano East

David San Juan: Assistant coach, Allen D. Nease, St. Augustine, Fla.

Mike Sneed: Former head coach, Weatherford

Blaine Springston: Athletic director/head coach, Andrews

John Ullrich: Head coach, Life School of Oak Cliff

Nathan Washington: Enterprise Car Sales of Idaho/Utah group finance manager; hasn't worked as a coach since 1999

Hal Wasson: Head coach, Keller Fossil Ridge

The job came open in mid-December when Todd Dodge announced he was leaving to become coach at North Texas. Over his last five years at Carroll, Dodge built the football program into one of the nation’s best by going 79-1 and winning four Class 5A state titles.

E-mail [email protected]

I'm willing to bet that if the applicant doesn't have athletic director beside his name...scratch him from the list.  Same goes for Head Coach...if he's only been an assistant, forget it.

SLC will fill it with someone who is actively an AD and/or Head Coach.  I thinking Heath (Pearland), Brown (Brazosport) and Erwin (LaMarque) are the final three.  They can't go wrong with any of those 3.

And I'll go with Heath as the winner.  Erwin a close second and will get the job if they don't get the deal right with Heath.

Carroll announces interview list

Keller Fossil Ridge coach Hal Wasson, Plano East coach Johnny Ringo and Frisco coach Vance Gibson join Andrews coach Blaine Springston and La Marque coach Bryan Erwin were named by the Carroll ISD as its interview choices.

Erwin told his school district Friday that he had accepted the FM Marcus position.

Hello guys......glad to be back......

Just to let you know, it is Wasson's.......The app. list was so short because most people are smart enough to know that you don't apply for SLC unless you have a few rings, or are in the Green Circle (Wason is by the way)......I do not know this for sure but I would bet SLC called Erwin and Wasson and told them to apply.....the rest were on their own.......Look for Wasson to be named this week.....of course, I could be very wrong on this....

Why do you think Erwin accepted the Marcus Job?????

I read that Erwin accepted FM Marcus because it was an hour away from his hometown of Hillsboro where he and his wife's parents both live. Wanted the kids close to the grandparents. Marcus made it to the state finals a couple of times in the 90's. It's not SLC but I would bet there is some talent and community support.

If you look at a map, you will see Flower Mound and Southlake are very close to each other......FM Marcus does have some talent, not much but some but no where near what SLC has......That is a 40 point difference at least......

No, he knew who was going to get that job just like everyone else up here

i think it would be good to give the job to Eli Melton the assistant coach... cause then there's not as much change... your still doing the same basic things... the players already know/respect him... and i always like it when a head coach retires and they give the job to someone on the inside... just my opinion though

Southlake Carroll are set to announce former assistant Hal Wasson to replace Todd Dodge at a school board/news conference at 5 p.m. Monday. Wasson has been considered a front runner since Dodge left for North Texas following SCL winning its fourth Class 5A state title in five years. Wasson and Denton Ryan coach Joey Florence were the leading candidates and Florence opted not to apply.

Wasson, 50, was an SLC assistant in '01 and '02 when his sone Chase was the Dragons' quarterback. He left to become head coach at Keller Fossil Ridge in '03

Its Official, Hal Wasson Is New Hc At Slc

Wasson inherits Dragons tradition

Hal Wasson was named head coach of the Carroll Dragons football team at a press conference Monday evening.

Wasson replaces Todd Dodge, who departed for the University of North Texas head football coaching position last month.

Wasson, a former Carroll assistant coach who was considered the leading candidate to replace Dodge, was the head coach of Fossil Ridge High School. He coached Fossil Ridge to a 28-15 record overall, including 22-11 his past three seasons. Last season he was 10-2 and his team claimed the District 6-4A championship. The Panthers reached the playoffs each of the past two seasons.

“Obviously, to say I'm excited to be a Dragon again is an understatement,†Wasson said. "I feel like I'm back home. This is where it all got started."

Carroll athletic director Ronnie Tipps introduced Wasson, saying that Carroll was committed to continuing the success it enjoyed under Dodge.

"Somebody told me an era has ended," Tipps said. "I'm going to tell you that the era has just begun: this is the Hal Wasson era. We're happy that he made the choice to be a Dragon again."

Wasson takes over a program that Dodge had led to a 79-1 record and five state championship appearances, including four state championship titles.

See the Feb. 2 edition of The Southlake Journal for more coverage.

-- Zach Warner, Staff Writer

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi