Are the glory days over in La Marque???

bjimbo

Back in 2012, Texas heard that La Marque was dropping down to 3a and all of Texas thought they were going to make state runs like they did in the 90's.  Jordan took them to a finals appearance in 2010.  In 2011 Jackson took them to the quarters round, 2012 they were knocked out in the regional round, 2013 they got knocked out in the area round.  Even with the drop in classification, they have managed to progressively get worse in the Jackson era.  Now they are in a slum district with HISD which seems to fit them perfectly.  Can La marque ever go back to being a powerhouse???   

The most mind boggling stat for me is the drastic drop in enrollment at LM in the past 4 years. Went from a 4A to a small 3A.

The worst thing that happened to them recently is being lumped in with HISD schools. It will probably destroy what little may have been left of that program. One thing that LM always had was a tuff, tuff schedule that prepared them for weeks 11-17. Playing a hard nosed non-district can still be accomplished, but gone are the days of great district battles with TC, FWood, Manvel and Dawson recently.

To my knowledge it's very prevalent for kids to rotate through, LM, TC, Dickinson, Hitchcock, and Ball through out their years of high school, but more so kids are leaving LM to go to the surrounding schools.  Other than TC the surrounding schools have no where near the tradition which also leads me to believe that the academics at LM might be another reason why the enrollment has dropped so drastically.    

To my knowledge it's very prevalent for kids to rotate through, LM, TC, Dickinson, Hitchcock, and Ball through out their years of high school, but more so kids are leaving LM to go to the surrounding schools.  Other than TC the surrounding schools have no where near the tradition which also leads me to believe that the academics at LM might be another reason why the enrollment has dropped so drastically.    

I have a question: Is it true that LM has a male to female ratio of like 3-to-1 or 4-to-1 right now? Ive heard that from some folks recently.

What it really shows is what WOS found out in '03. Dropping from 4 to 3a isnt much of a difference in competition. In my opinion, its the closest two divisions out of all of them. Any given year you could put the states top 4 in each class and i would bet it would be a toss up who wins.

This.

I agree with that except for the fact that Wos, Orangefield and God bless Bridge City were all under water to some extent and they didnt really drop enrolment or atleast no where near that much. Heck, BC lost all their houses and their pizza hut and still stayed somewhat the same.

I agree with that except for the fact that Wos, Orangefield and God bless Bridge City were all under water to some extent and they didnt really drop enrolment or atleast no where near that much. Heck, BC lost all their houses and their pizza hut and still stayed somewhat the same.

Alot of them folks in Galveston County flocked north to the Houston burbs, kinda the reason why you see Pearland Dawson for example blowing up in enrollment. whats eerie is that I believe Ball High enrollment actually went up........thats kinda weird. Yea i agree with you about Orange County: most of those folks went back to rebuild, alot of folks over west took the high road up I-45.

LM's male to female ratio is probably in part due to its historic football program. Still a number of kids that want to be a part of Cougar football, but it appears to be a sinking ship and being placed in that HISD district will kill LM Football. LM will go from playing in front of nice crowds to looking at visitor stands and hearing crickets.

Sad. Do you think,if/when the Keystone XL will be pumping, there will be a swing back to that area?

Probably not,  the Keystone ends in Nederland,  and alot of the plant growth is around BH and Baytown right now, with a few being build around Pasadena.

I think there are other reasons for the exodus as well.

• 2 weeks later...