Hardin Hornets Non-District games

Salesman

Huntington is notorious for having a historically horrific football program. Several decades of being a doormat with like 1-2 win seasons. Hardin has a shot, trust me...

Hardin is notorious for the same. Similar to HD, the players of the past are not playing this year. The team Huntington will put on the field this year will not resemble the past. I said Hardin has a shot if Huntington is not prepared mentally.  

Still a long way out Falcon. So much can change between now and September. Was Huntington playing 3A football in the 1980-1999 era? What most people don't realize about Hardin was that for nearly 20 years, we faced schools twice our size. Schools that would eventually become what is now 5A schools. No excuses though, we were there red headed step children ! That changed in 2000, when we dropped down to 2A. We scrimmaged Huntington my senior year, with Hemphill. They were fiesty for sure.

Hardin is notorious for the same. Similar to HD, the players of the past are not playing this year. The team Huntington will put on the field this year will not resemble the past. I said Hardin has a shot if Huntington is not prepared mentally.

HD should not be used in the same sentence with Huntington and Hardin regarding wins lol. Be smart... HD has won 63% of its games all time, Huntington and Hardin 30%...

What team do you support oldschool2 ? What's it's all time record against HD ? Does HD have a losing (head to head) record against any 2A school in Southeast Texas?

I support everybody, but I'm a realist. Work brought me to setx, and I love high school and college sports. This forum is a fun hobby and people tend to get extremely riled up. I think its funny.

I comment a lot regarding HD...because HD fans are really something else. They want desperately to return to "glory" but never will. To think they will ever have the same success as the 60's and 70's is absolutely absurd. The town was at peak oil production, peak population, peak success. I've made it a goal to get that point accross. HD has become my "project"

I think Hardin will steadily improve, but are historically cursed with a pretty tough district. It doesn't help that schools like Kountze are taking athletes out of the gym. Make no mistake tho, their bball will suffer if football keeps improving. Very difficult to be good at everything.

I will say this, I've been all over the state. Setx has a lot of talent, but is for the most part worse than other parts of the state. I think it's because of money.

Oldschool if we really go "old school" for the records, HD holds the all time series record against several schools that you might have heard of-Nederland, beaumont high, baytown, if I remember right port neches, and Port Arthur. I know this is REALLY old school. 1930's and 40's

There's not a doubt in my mind HD holds all time records against virtually everybody they've ever played. PAST tense of course. My point is that those days are gone. Past players don't play today. In HD's case....past player's kids don't even play today. They all left.

Still a long way out Falcon. So much can change between now and September. Was Huntington playing 3A football in the 1980-1999 era? What most people don't realize about Hardin was that for nearly 20 years, we faced schools twice our size. Schools that would eventually become what is now 5A schools. No excuses though, we were there red headed step children ! That changed in 2000, when we dropped down to 2A. We scrimmaged Huntington my senior year, with Hemphill. They were fiesty for sure.

Huntington has been 3A since they started football. They have always been one of the smallest schools in their district.

Guest ECBucFan

Oldschool if we really go "old school" for the records, HD holds the all time series record against several schools that you might have heard of-Nederland, beaumont high, baytown, if I remember right port neches, and Port Arthur.  I know this is REALLY old school. 1930's and 40's

Huddleston is right, and this thread is absurd. I have zero against HD, and I wish them all the best, but with that said, some things here are just crazy. If you look at H-D history, its spelled with one word -- OIL. Oil brought many young MEN into the oil feilds, and those young men back in the 30's used to routeinly suit up for HS teams. Thats no knock aginst HD; many of the schools in that long past era let 20-25 year olds suit up and play back in the 30's. THATS why HD could play PA, BMT, NED, PN-G, etc. Again, HD should be proud of its history, but please understand, lots of it is based on one group of grown up oil feild hands vs. another, almost a century ago. Nothing really to do with the HD HS of today. There is a great book some of you might be familiar with that gives some insight on this. Its great reading,

Down Trails of Victory: The Story of Port Neches-Groves High School Football by Dr. Jon Buck Ford

http://www.pngindians.com/sports/football/downtrails

I guess those running backs got all those rushing yards on their own against HD last year. Even though we aren't playing each other next year come catch a Hardin game if you can and watch their softness. My son measured 6'8" exactly at Randy Rodgers recruiting. Nance is 6'7" and Adams is at least 6'5". I agree that a couple of them do need to play with more intensity.

I thought Hardin's O-Line was ok. My question is, if you have a kid that is that size, why is he playing at Hardin still? Dayton or Nederland would definetly get the huge kid more coverage with recruiters. That is no doubt next level size, parents have to get their kids seen. At the end of the day, a short move down the road, could mean a big save in the pocket book for the parents regarding college.

I thought Hardin's O-Line was ok. My question is, if you have a kid that is that size, why is he playing at Hardin still? Dayton or Nederland would definetly get the huge kid more coverage with recruiters. That is no doubt next level size, parents have to get their kids seen. At the end of the day, a short move down the road, could mean a big save in the pocket book for the parents regarding college.

I suspect that there are many parents who do not intend to abandon their homes and life's accomplishments so their kid can play football at Dayton or Nederland for 1-2 years. If the kid is good enough to play D1 he will get there from Hardin or anywhere else for that matter. 

I suspect that there are many parents who do not intend to abandon their homes and life's accomplishments so their kid can play football at Dayton or Nederland for 1-2 years. If the kid is good enough to play D1 he will get there from Hardin or anywhere else for that matter.

I agree. But I also know that being on a 2A team that goes 2-8, will not get you the kind of looks that being on a 4A 8-2 team will. If anyone is overly proud and loyal to a team its me. But I also know not to hurt my kids chances for success in life. Graduating from college is paramount, and most kids will not without a good scholarship.

CD, a parent can send a video highlight film to any college in the country within minutes. A good coach will also be sending out video left and right if they think they have a kid with the potential to play at the next level. Perhaps it was necessary to uproot 15-20 years ago but I no longer think it's necessary. Your son will be fine at HD as long as you do your part with help from his coach along the way.

CD, a parent can send a video highlight film to any college in the country within minutes. A good coach will also be sending out video left and right if they think they have a kid with the potential to play at the next level. Perhaps it was necessary to uproot 15-20 years ago but I no longer think it's necessary. Your son will be fine at HD as long as you do your part with help from his coach along the way.

I'm aware of the recruiting companies out there. I have recently signed my 8th grader up. They build a great profile for each kid and will send out highlights to 100 colleges of our choice a year. Although, I know these college Coaches do look at the level of competion on these highlight tapes. My son is 6'2 265lb DT/OT in 8th grade at HD. My son attended the Texas Longhorn lineman camp last summer and will be attending the LSU and Texas lineman camps this coming summer.

I agree. But I also know that being on a 2A team that goes 2-8, will not get you the kind of looks that being on a 4A 8-2 team will. If anyone is overly proud and loyal to a team its me. But I also know not to hurt my kids chances for success in life. Graduating from college is paramount, and most kids will not without a good scholarship.

Most kids that graduate college do so without a scholarship. Anyone can go to college in this country if they want to. There are many ways to get it done. If a player does not get noticed at any school it will be the coaches fault. Recruiters from nearly all colleges check with coaches at all schools. If a lineman at Hardin dominates, he will be noticed. Did I not read that one of their lineman is already committed to Lamar? I will asure you that if they noticed one they will notice the other.

Most kids that graduate college do so without a scholarship. Anyone can go to college in this country if they want to. There are many ways to get it done. If a player does not get noticed at any school it will be the coaches fault. Recruiters from nearly all colleges check with coaches at all schools. If a lineman at Hardin dominates, he will be noticed. Did I not read that one of their lineman is already committed to Lamar? I will asure you that if they noticed one they will notice the other.

I agree. I just meant that not all kids go to college, heck most from our area do not. Most hard working blue collar parents can't afford it, thats when a scholarship can help the kids that normally would not get to go.

Hardin gets players to the next level, if they are worthy. I am certain HD does as well. Who was the last D-1 athlete out of Daisetta?

Only one "active" I can think of from Hardin right now, is Mitchell. Last Off. lineman to play D-1 was Nunan, but I could be wrong. That was 13 years ago. Scatright - Feeling old?

I agree. I just meant that not all kids go to college, heck most from our area do not. Most hard working blue collar parents can't afford it, thats when a scholarship can help the kids that normally would not get to go.

You are correct that many parents cant afford college. Fortunately, there are many ways to go to college with no parental help. Scholarships do help. I would suspect if a parent cant afford college, they probably cant afford to buy a new house so their kids can play football for 1-2 years.