Can Taleted Basketball Programs Win State Without Beliving in there Coach?

Just wondering how the responce to this question will turn out? I know that talented teams such as Bmt Ozen & Central have coaches that are ridiculed from time to time on there coaching strategies or abilities! In my personal opinion, I believe that if a player buys into a coaches :o program, works hard and believes in them, a player will burst through walls trying to satisfy there coach! Maybe this is how some less talented teams reach great heights when not expected!  JMO what is yours?

[quote name="JRidge" post="1418545" timestamp="1373748502"]
Just wondering how the responce to this queation will turn out? I know that talented teams such as Bmt Ozen & Central have coaches that are ridiculed from time to time on there coaching strategies or abilities! In my personal opinion, I believe that if a player buys into a coaches :o program, works hard and believes in them, a player will burst through walls trying to satisfy there coach! Maybe this is how some less talented teams reach great heights when not expected!  JMO what is yours?
[/quote][color=red]I have a question[/color]. Lets suppose I have my five starters for next year. The following players all SUPPOSELY have something in common, THEIR SLOW!!!

PG: Tyreke Evans
SG: Wally Szczerbiak
SF: Paul Pierce
PF: Glen Davis
C: Yao Ming

My program historically is  fast break and pressure full court defense. Should I  fit my program to fit my players or should I get my players to buy into my system?

I believe in strategy and versatility! I am a chess player therefor I approach games openly knowing that some strategies may work on some opponents and not others! Everyone would learn my system because I wouldn't change it year after year but of course it would vary from a half court to an up tempo! Colleges have the luxury of seeking players that would fit there program while H.S you get what you get! If I have speed at each position and good ball handlers then I play to my strengths but you will need to be able to execute a half court game from time to time! If my bigs have the advantage then I must feed them! Well, I still believe that a team can do well with good talent and players and parents who support the coach and work hard for him! To win against equal or better talent, the coach who can recognize how to attack the other teams weakness and make adjustments as needed and players execute, usual can win the big one's! Remember, everyone from the coach, players, parents and fans goal is to win and a divided front can't stand nomatter what offense or defense they run! JMO
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1418662" timestamp="1373775867"]
[quote author=JRidge link=topic=112884.msg1418545#msg1418545 date=1373748502]
Just wondering how the responce to this queation will turn out? I know that talented teams such as Bmt Ozen & Central have coaches that are ridiculed from time to time on there coaching strategies or abilities! In my personal opinion, I believe that if a player buys into a coaches :o program, works hard and believes in them, a player will burst through walls trying to satisfy there coach! Maybe this is how some less talented teams reach great heights when not expected!  JMO what is yours?
[/quote][color=red]I have a question[/color]. Lets suppose I have my five starters for next year. The following players all SUPPOSELY have something in common, THEIR SLOW!!!

My program historically is  fast break and pressure full court defense. Should I  fit my program to fit my players or should I get my players to buy into my system?
[/quote]

If you are a good coach, to become a great coach you are supposed to coach at the players ability.  As a coach you should know how to adjust your game plan to fit your players style.  In high school you can adjust your game plan because players change often.  But in college and pros, you recruit or draft players that fit your style of play.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1418662" timestamp="1373775867"]

[/quote]

Excuse me Dove, but in looking at your "roster" it seems to me that all of these players have demonstrated an ability to successfully compete against quicker and faster opponents.

PA4Life, I totally agree! Are you considered a good coach if you have a talented team that makes playoff runs but can't win the big one? Are wins and losses overrated whenit comes to developing kids to have good morals, character, become good students and learn to become successful after basketball? I guess a good coach to each is based on what one values most! Humm, what does eveyone think about this! [quote name="PA4Life" post="1418693" timestamp="1373808810"]
If you are a good coach, to become a great coach you are supposed to coach at the players ability.  As a coach you should know how to adjust your game plan to fit your players style.  In high school you can adjust your game plan because players change often.  But in college and pros, you recruit or draft players that fit your style of play.
[/quote]

[quote name="JRidge" post="1418683" timestamp="1373784366"]
I believe in strategy and versatility! I am a chess player therefor I approach games openly knowing that some strategies may work on some opponents and not others! Everyone would learn my system because I wouldn't change it year after year but of course it would vary from a half court to an up tempo! [b][/b]Colleges have the luxury of seeking players that would fit there program while H.S you get what you get![b][/b] If I have speed at each position and good ball handlers then I play to my strengths but you will need to be able to execute a half court game from time to time! If my bigs have the advantage then I must feed them! Well, I still believe that a team can do well with good talent and players and parents who support the coach and work hard for him! To win against equal or better talent, the coach who can recognize how to attack the other teams weakness and make adjustments as needed and players execute, usual can win the big one's! Remember, everyone from the coach, players, parents and fans goal is to win and a divided front can't stand nomatter what offense or defense they run! JMO
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=112884.msg1418662#msg1418662 date=1373775867]

[quote name="DXTR" post="1418826" timestamp="1373844493"]
"Colleges have the luxury of seeking players that would fit there program while H.S you get what you get! "

...well...um...huh  ;D
[/quote]Welp, there it is, Yates and Triple A are college programs, or act like they're college programs.  ;) ;D

[quote name="PA4Life" post="1418693" timestamp="1373808810"]
[/quote]

If you have a good enough Communications Program then you don't ever have to change the way you coach.

I don't know if this post was worthy are to hot to receive a responce from the 3 you mentioned! Subject matter is interesting I thought! Lol
[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1418567" timestamp="1373751552"]
I would like to see Dove, Soulja and Dickie V's thoughts on this.
[/quote]

[quote name="JRidge" post="1419119" timestamp="1373951706"]
I don't know if this post was worthy are to hot to receive a responce from the 3 you mentioned! Subject matter is interesting I thought! Lol
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112884.msg1418567#msg1418567 date=1373751552]
[/quote]
[/quote] Any responses from these three is golden. Such knowledge is not a common thing. And to be concentrated on one forum is very intimidating.  ;D

[quote name="no-look" post="1419267" timestamp="1373993331"]
[quote author=JRidge link=topic=112884.msg1419119#msg1419119 date=1373951706]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=112884.msg1418567#msg1418567 date=1373751552]
[/quote]
[/quote] Any responses from these three is golden. Such knowledge is not a common thing. And to be concentrated on one forum is very intimidating.  ;D
[/quote]

Now that they know the fabled No Look is observing this thread, they may be too intimidated to answer.

Yes, you can win if the talent is there, but you can achieve unbelievable things when everyone is on the same page. If the talent is average or nearly equal to the opponent, coaching can be the difference. A players belief in his coach(es) derives from his communication skills, practice and game organization, evaluation and adaption to player skill sets, his self-discipline and his abillity to hold everyone associated with the program equally accountable for TEAM success. A coach who operates with his ego will abandon the one thing he needs most, his players.

[quote name="shooter" post="1419353" timestamp="1374004435"]
Yes, you can when if the talent is there, but you can achieve unbelievable things when everyone is on the same page. If the talent is average or nearly equal to the opponent, coaching can be the difference. [b]A players belief in his coach(es) derives from his communication skills[/b], practice and game organization, evaluation and adaption to player skill sets, his self-discipline and his abillity to hold everyone associated with the program equally accountable for TEAM success. A coach who operates with his ego will abandon the one thing he needs most, his players.
[/quote]Well, I guess we know where future coaches should attend High School.  ;)

Shooter, intelligent and accurate responce in my opinion! Few coaches posses all of these qualites but many get by with a few of these and good talent! Legendary coaches are legendary because they mainly posses and consistently utilize these skills and winbig often! You're on the right track in my opinion! ;)
Yes, you can when if the talent is there, but you can achieve unbelievable things when everyone is on the same page. If the talent is average or nearly equal to the opponent, coaching can be the difference. A players belief in his coach(es) derives from his communication skills, practice and game organization, evaluation and adaption to player skill sets, his self-discipline and his abillity to hold everyone associated with the program equally accountable for TEAM success. A coach who operates with his ego will abandon the one thing he needs most, his players.
[/quote]

Yes, you can win if the talent is there, but you can achieve unbelievable things when everyone is on the same page. If the talent is average or nearly equal to the opponent, coaching can be the difference. A players belief in his coach(es) derives from his communication skills, practice and game organization, evaluation and adaption to player skill sets, his self-discipline and his abillity to hold everyone associated with the program equally accountable for TEAM success. A coach who operates with his ego will abandon the one thing he needs most, his players.
[/quote] let me interject same thought but written differently:

Coaches[color=red] must[/color] 'connect' with their players before they can lead them. You gotta have the respect from your players.  You can have all the talent in the world...................................

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1419550" timestamp="1374035126"]
[quote author=shooter link=topic=112884.msg1419353#msg1419353 date=1374004435]

[/quote] let me interject same thought but written differently:

Coaches[color=red] must[/color] 'connect' with their players before they can lead them. You gotta have the respect from your players.  You can have all the talent in the world...................................

Even though this is probably an effective way, I believe in the old skool way of coaching! (Do as you are told) because you may not be able to connect with every player but every player should know what is expected of them from their coach! We were taught to respect all adults so this was automatically given to our coaches! Coaches coach and players play and that was that, too many kids now-a-days are brought up to be able to voice their dislikes are allowed to rebel if they don't agree with something! They either transfer out or sometimes  even sabatoge a season based on how they feel about a coach! This even sometimes hurts them in the future dealing with bosses or spouses, they often leave their job or marriage because they haven't learned to support somethig or someone they don't fully agree with! Looking at the way these professional athletes get in trouble now-a-days, I prefer that kids are prepared to become good, successful citizens 
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder