161 Pitches

as a parent i would of been throwing a fit.... this kid already signed with W. VA... now your throwing him 161 pitches and putting him jeopardy of tearing his arm up? now your putting his scholarship/college career on the block.... Just dont think i could of set still and not went and said something to the coach....

Ump must have had a tight zone because both of those pitchers throw strikes and know how to pitch. Pettitte had 6 walks and Mills had 5 or 6..mix that will 10 strikeouts for Pettite and I think 6 or 7 for Mills and that adds up to a lot of pitches.  I do know that Dulles has a very deep staff so there was no need to keep Mills in after they scored 3 runs in the top of the 7th to push the game to 7-3.

[quote name="joebob" post="1406702" timestamp="1369163029"]
Ump must have had a tight zone because both of those pitchers throw strikes and know how to pitch. Pettitte had 6 walks and Mills had 5 or 6..mix that will 10 strikeouts for Pettite and I think 6 or 7 for Mills and that adds up to a lot of pitches.  I do know that Dulles has a very deep staff so there was no need to keep Mills in after they scored 3 runs in the top of the 7th to push the game to 7-3.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.  What most thought would be a low scoring pitching duel, did not exactly turn out that way.
I was surprised when I saw the box score and stats for this game. You are correct, Joebob.  Both of these kids know how to pitch and pound the strike zone.

Joebob,  are you going to watch the BH/Foster series ?

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="1406714" timestamp="1369164292"]
[quote author=joebob link=topic=112114.msg1406702#msg1406702 date=1369163029]
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.  What most thought would be a low scoring pitching duel, did not exactly turn out that way.
I was surprised when I saw the box score and stats for this game. You are correct, Joebob.  Both of these kids know how to pitch and pound the strike zone.

How many pitches did Petitte throw? I personally witnessed a playoff game last year in which I had the Sabine Pass pitcher at roughly 170 pitches through 6 innings(my math could be off because I have slept since then......). I worry about what that kind of workload will do to young arms..........

Joebob,  are you going to watch the BH/Foster series ?
[/quote]

I went and watched this game.  Both pitchers struggled a bit.  Pettite kept everything up most of the night.  Mills seemed to struggle as well with command.

With the exception of 2-3 pitches the coaches didn't say much to the umpire behind the plate.  It is easy to place blame on the umpire for this, but if you look at the number of hits each team had then that could account for both pitchers throwing more pitches than normal.   

To me looking at the number of hits for a pitcher that has pitched 2 no hitters including one the week before, in addition to the walks tells me maybe the zone was up high and that they had to keep it up in the zone to get strikes called.

Regardless 161 pitches is too much especially with a deep staff.

[quote name="oldman" post="1406831" timestamp="1369183899"]
I went and watched this game.  Both pitchers struggled a bit.  Pettite kept everything up most of the night.  Mills seemed to struggle as well with command.

With the exception of 2-3 pitches the coaches didn't say much to the umpire behind the plate.  It is easy to place blame on the umpire for this, but if you look at the number of hits each team had then that could account for both pitchers throwing more pitches than normal. 
[/quote]

I see your logic, but I thought the zone of the umpire was down and at the knees.  Ever thought that both pitchers might have been a bit off. 

First time I saw Mills,  but I have seen Pettite 3-4 times.  He was up in the zone in my opinion.  Mills is a bull no doubt, but he looked up in Zone as well.  .

Easy to say that the umpires zone caused the high number of pitches.  I didn't think the guy behind the plate was that bad.  Seemed consistent to me.  What was your take on the umpire behind the plate?    I do think the 3rd base umpire was wrong on his Balk of Pettite early in the game.

Mills threw 145 in 10 innings just two weeks ago.  Don't know if that outing caused a stir. 

Question I have is the original post says 'signee', has an official LOI been signed or has he just been offered and committed.  Only reason I ask is because it is a business and if there is nothing signed and he hurts his arm, that offer might get pulled back.

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1407106" timestamp="1369244091"]
Mills threw 145 in 10 innings just two weeks ago.  Don't know if that outing caused a stir. 

Question I have is the original post says 'signee', has an official LOI been signed or has he just been offered and committed.  Only reason I ask is because it is a business and if there is nothing signed and he hurts his arm, that offer might get pulled back.
[/quote]

He has signed his LOI.

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=22498&cat=baseball

There should be a limit on how many pitches a high school kid can pitch. My son was offered a scholarship last year from a large D-1 school. Several games last year he pitched 135,140,147 pitches in games. Summer ball started his mph dropped 8 mph. Head college coach was at game and asked if he was hurt. All our high school coach was worried about was the win. Guess what his scholarship offer was dropped and now after 8 weeks of rehab due to a slight tear in his labrum he is now going to a Jr. College this fall to play. How many college or pro players do you see with this high of a pitch count. There needs to be a pitch count rule in place to help protect these kids arms so they can make it to college without any injuries.

[quote name="onthelake" post="1407506" timestamp="1369316715"]
There should be a limit on how many pitches a high school kid can pitch. My son was offered a scholarship last year from a large D-1 school. Several games last year he pitched 135,140,147 pitches in games. Summer ball started his mph dropped 8 mph. Head college coach was at game and asked if he was hurt. All our high school coach was worried about was the win. Guess what his scholarship offer was dropped and now after 8 weeks of rehab due to a slight tear in his labrum he is now going to a Jr. College this fall to play. How many college or pro players do you see with this high of a pitch count. There needs to be a pitch count rule in place to help protect these kids arms so they can make it to college without any injuries.

Not a huge believer in pitch counts but there may be some validity to them if mechanics change after X number of pitches.

If you were concerned why didnt you schedule a meeting with your sons coach. Not using 20/20 here but that seems like the logical thing to do.
[/quote]

Dulles will play Jersey Village tonight in a 1 game playoff for the 5A Region 3 title.

I do not think Mills pitched last weekend in the semi-final series against defending state champion Cy Ranch. That fact itself makes you question again why they went with him for so long. The have a full stable of solid arms as many on here have said.

We shall see what happens.

[quote name="joebob" post="1409715" timestamp="1370024227"]
Exactly, I am sure they were saving mills for game 3 but there was no excuse with the bullpen they have to trot him out there for the 7th inning. Hearing the Dulles coach is retiring after this year anyway so he may not care about the backlash.
[/quote]

I thought that they went 3 games?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder