If you were a umpire what would your call be on this play?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was  there a ball in the second basemans glove or at least an attempt to get the ball? if not it would be interferance on the second baseman. But if there was then its an out on the runner and possibly ejection depending on how the ump saw it. But you never said one way or the other. so Im not sure. This is my guess and how i would have called it.

runners arm is not in the face but rather the shoulder could be argued runner was trying to prtect himself (which is his right)...runner's job to break up double play..second baseman's job to get out of the way...runner was apparently within close proximity to the bag. IMO (which probably is wrong), play stands no ejection. Runner does not have HAVE to slide..in the major's the infielders are taught to make them slide by throwing at the helmet.

your re-post posted before mine. You are correct. He does not have to slide. However if shortstop is in process of catching and making a tag and there is no slide, but rather a collision and that collision is mallicious then yes there is a possible ejection! Runner needs to make an attempt to slide no doubt though.

reading from the rule book.

the runner is out when......

he does not legaly slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or does not slide in a direct line between the bases.

If contact is ruled to be malicious, he is to be ejected.

[quote name="hook em' 09" post="1395385" timestamp="1366224879"]
your re-post posted before mine. You are correct. He does not have to slide. However if shortstop is in process of catching and making a tag and there is no slide, but rather a collision and that collision is mallicious then yes there is a possible ejection! Runner needs to make an attempt to slide no doubt though.
[/quote]

I totally agree my friend. Would have loved to see several frames before and after the one we had. That is a judgment call and probably the hardest call for an umpire to make. I think the sound of the collision, and whether or not the player is hurt also plays a part of their decision. Hopefully, the infielder was Ok. It does look like the runner was going after the player to break the ball loose, I have a lot more problem with it being a steal than a DP attempt. I always taught my kids to slide on any steal attempt, but they don't always listen.

Official's call was incorrect.  Runner is out for making contact on play at a base that he did not make a legal slide directly into bag. If he slides directly into bag and makes contact and the ball comes out he is safe.

That is no where near the case.  This photo shows obvious illegal contact and he should have been called out.  The only question that remained should have been, was it malicious.

[quote name="lcmfan" post="1395389" timestamp="1366225154"]
reading from the rule book.

the runner is out when......

he does not legaly slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of a fielder in the immediate act of making a play, or does not slide in a direct line between the bases.

If contact is ruled to be malicious, he is to be ejected.
[/quote]

I have never heard about the sliding in a direct line between the bases (though I can see this on a SB attempt) but I know on DB plays in the majors a slide (admittedly, when breaking up a double play or plays at the plate) is deemed a legal slide as long as the runner could reach out and touch the base (therefore, contact could be made to one side of the base or the other and still be a legal slide). Is this a high school level rule book this is from?

IMO this rule is more intended for a play in which the runner denies the fielder any chance of fielding a ball by running over him. In this instance the player did catch the ball but dropped it on contact. To me the questions appear to be a) was the runner out of the baseline (while he appears to be somewhat in front of the base and he shouldn't be, he does appear to be within acceptable distance to me) and b) was there a malicious attempt to injure the player.

If a) the runner is out and b) the runner is out and ejected.

The first thing need to be asked is what league and rules, its a pure judgement call, some if the ball is in flight to the fielder the runner better slide, then if you have malicious contact then its the double whammy hes out and gone. If the umpire thinks a collision could have been avoided then expect him to ack and should, its all about SAFTEY

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1395472" timestamp="1366238547"]
If it was a steal, runner does not have to slide but can not create malicious contact. Judgement call on that. The rule stated before about legal sliding was taken from a force play at second on a possible double play.
[/quote]

glad to get your input Mr. Ump, I have learned a lot of baseball from you on this site the last couple of years.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86