Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold Team

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hesitate to jump into this thread, but I'm just too tempted...

First off, the Super Gold team certainly shows that we have a great deal of talent here in the Golden Triangle.  Since the thread veered into a discussion of Bosha, I have been thinking about his talents and the criteria that might be used to make the selections:

1) Scoring average; 2) Other pertinent stats (like assists/steals for a guard, or blocks/rebounds for a big); 3) MVP/leader of his team; 4) Overall team success; 5) All-district/All-Region/All-State selections; 6) Character (if that matters, and I think it does); 7) Eyeball test (if you know, then you know);  8 Defensive skills; 9) College prospect (if that matters, and it probably shouldn't for SuperGold); 10) Respect - from other teams, from team-mates, from anyone.

Did I miss some criteria?  Maybe, but you get my point.

All of the kids who made the list (1st, 2nd, & HR) deserve our congratulations.  And I don't believe in talking down any kids, so I won't be comparing Bosha to any others specifically.  But I will say this, if I was an attorney and had to take the case to argue for Mr. Bosha to be included on the 1st team based on the criteria above, I'd take it any day.  I think he'd rate near the top of the list in every one of these areas.  You'd have a really, really hard time convincing me that he wouldn't at least be in the top 10, and I could make one heck of a case that he'd be in the top 5.

And on a side note, we just had a kid get a full ride who was "only" Honorable Mention on the list.  Congratulations Mr. English!  You earned it.

You guys want to continue with the insults I see. My  post was not to be taken seriously, I was being funny and I wanted you guys to shut up and leave me alone.That didnt work out well at all. I am done. I will not allow you to bate me into arguring with you.Thank you Pumper you summed it up well.  ;)

ok I couldnt resist. Bud how are old you? You asked me "you in the same grade as him". Shouldnt you have said are you in the same grade as he? I know that I am not the best as it pertains to spelling, but I do know how to construct a sentence. Remember this ,a sentence should always have a verb. :P

[quote name="Big girl" post="1392966" timestamp="1365556373"]
ok I couldnt resist. Bud how are old you? You asked me "you in the same grade as him". Shouldnt you have said are you in the same grade as he? I know that I am not the best as it pertains to spelling, but I do know how to construct a sentence. Remember this ,a sentence should always have a verb. :P
[/quote]Did the Beaumont Enterprise tell you that when you inquired about THEIR super gold team or did the Grammar Police Academy lend you that info?  ::)

So, here are my thoughts on this subject and Big Ol' Girl  ;) take heed to my knowledge.  Every kid on this list still has a lot of work to do. Ain't none of them made it. I don't care if a player was on 1st team, don't mean they have it made. Keep working!!! Keep the grind on!!! The academics are already set in place but nobody making anyone shoot 500 shots (oops! I mean 10 minutes of defensive slides) early in the morning or late at night. Thats up to the individual.

[quote name="BIG SHOW" post="1393289" timestamp="1365618859"]
[quote author=Big girl link=topic=110906.msg1392958#msg1392958 date=1365555727]
yes I am in the same grade as Zjori
[/quote]
I thought you played college ball?  How is that possible if your in the same grade? Just curious.......
[/quote] ;)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1393320" timestamp="1365626373"]
I've known college players who could hoop their butts off in the playground. Put them in an organized setting, they became a non-factor. Mental game was bad and did not understand the game
[/quote]
CASE AND POINT: Dewayne "Legend" Rogers....Quite possibly the BEST player to EVER come out of Houston, to NEVER suit up for a high school or college game... ;)

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1393335" timestamp="1365628471"]
IF he never played organized basketball, how can you rate him as the best player to ever come out of Houston?
[/quote]
This guy TORCHED the best of the best at the Fonde Rec Center in Houston in the summers. Regularly played on the NBA court with the pros, and was ALWAYS one of the best on the floor.  I am telling you, he was and STILL IS THAT good.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1393349" timestamp="1365632910"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110906.msg1393335#msg1393335 date=1365628471]
IF he never played organized basketball, how can you rate him as the best player to ever come out of Houston?
[/quote]
This guy TORCHED the best of the best at the Fonde Rec Center in Houston in the summers. Regularly played on the NBA court with the pros, and was ALWAYS one of the best on the floor.  I am telling you, he was and STILL IS THAT good.
[/quote]

Any idea why he never got a chance to play for a living.  Surely there were people "in the know" who would have gotten him a chance.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1393357" timestamp="1365635897"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=110906.msg1393349#msg1393349 date=1365632910]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110906.msg1393335#msg1393335 date=1365628471]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Any idea why he never got a chance to play for a living.  Surely there were people "in the know" who would have gotten him a chance.
[/quote]
He played for the Globetrotters at one time, but no one other than that wanted to take a chance on an unproven guy...He was an awesome talent...In high school, could never get his grades together at Kashmere HS, and STILL received an opportunity to play junior college ball and lasted one month...He was just a guy that never "got it" until it was too late...Has been working for the City of Houston, at the Fonde Rec Center for almost 20 years now..

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1393367" timestamp="1365639230"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=110906.msg1393357#msg1393357 date=1365635897]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=110906.msg1393349#msg1393349 date=1365632910]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
He played for the Globetrotters at one time, but no one other than that wanted to take a chance on an unproven guy...He was an awesome talent...In high school, could never get his grades together at Kashmere HS, and STILL received an opportunity to play junior college ball and lasted one month...He was just a guy that never "got it" until it was too late...Has been working for the City of Houston, at the Fonde Rec Center for almost 20 years now..
[/quote] Never met him but have heard about him. I've got some fond memories from Fonde Rec. Kinda off subj. but I remember some guys got into a dispute and one guy was thrown into the window and shattered it....ouch!!

See, this is what I'm wondering about this 1 st team list and why some people are upset. Is the argument because some players have a higher scoring avg? Lets compare Bosha and Torry @ Central or Q at W0-S.

All are very good players, but each one with different team dynamics and roles.

If Johnson (HJ)had not been suspended, would he have been a 1st choice would have made 1st team based on the bigger role he would played for HJ?

Both Torry and Q could probably also avg. 20 ppg, but their roles, unselfish play, other scorers on the team dictate they didn't  have to.  Torry is being looked at by major D1 schools already. I also think Q may have what it takes as well, if given the proper arena to showcase his talents. But both are very unselfish players.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder