Senate approves UIL sports for Homeschooled kids

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1390865" timestamp="1364942329"]
I assume a home-schooled student would be required to participate for the school whose attendance zone they reside. If so, this is nothing like the Private school issue in regard to recruiting athletes.
[/quote]

This article doesn't say, but other things I have read say that the kid must live in the school district.  Some other states already do this.  Tim Tebow was homeschooled when he starred in HS. 

I can live with letting homeschooled kids play in the districts in which they reside. Even though you're going to end up with families that homeschool their children moving into different districts with better athletic teams. Also, they better make sure the same rules apply about athletic transfers, because there will be people who all of the sudden pull their kids out of school, move to a district with better athletic activities and "homeschool" their children there.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1390871" timestamp="1364944422"]
I can live with letting homeschooled kids play in the districts in which they reside. Even though you're going to end up with families that homeschool their children moving into different districts with better athletic teams. Also, they better make sure the same rules apply about athletic transfers, because there will be people who all of the sudden pull their kids out of school, move to a district with better athletic activities and "homeschool" their children there.
[/quote] ;)

I'm curious to know if House Bill 72 (no pass, no play) will apply to these students.  Would the parents be required to turn in grades to the school of participation every 6 weeks?  And if so, do you really think any parents would "fail" their own child and allow them not to participate? 

No doubt could be wrong, but my observation has been that a very large majority of homeschooled kids are not all that sports motivated, so I don't see this as a major coup for schools to pick up athletes.  I know there will be some (Tebows don't come around every day), but it will not be difference maker for large schools for sure.

[quote name="Gtj007" post="1390936" timestamp="1364954618"]
I'm curious to know if House Bill 72 (no pass, no play) will apply to these students.  Would the parents be required to turn in grades to the school of participation every 6 weeks?  And if so, do you really think any parents would "fail" their own child and allow them not to participate?
[/quote]

Great question and point!!

[quote name="Gtj007" post="1390936" timestamp="1364954618"]
[/quote]

I believe they are required to take test to pass their work.  Chester86 is pretty involved in homeschool baseball, I'll see if he will clear up some questions on this thread about homeschooling. 

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1390873" timestamp="1364944766"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=110750.msg1390871#msg1390871 date=1364944422]
[/quote] ;)
[/quote]

On the bright side, I'm projecting a boom in the mailbox business. ;D

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1390986" timestamp="1364962643"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=110750.msg1390873#msg1390873 date=1364944766]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=110750.msg1390871#msg1390871 date=1364944422]
[/quote] ;)
[/quote]

On the bright side, I'm projecting a boom in the mailbox business. ;D
[/quote] I do what i can.......for the right price of course.  ;) ;D

Got a message from PhatMac about this thread.  We have schooled our kids the whole way.  Our oldest is now in college, so we have been doing this for about 13 years.  There are two types of home-schooled students:
1)  The dedicated, "called-to it" parents who take it serious, and
2)  The parents who are frustrated with public schooling due to grades, standards, and/or expectations.
I had read a bunch about this bill, and have heard from a lot of parents about troubles with school districts.  One mother from the Houston area has petitioned the school, gone before the school board and even hired a lawyer.  This has all been to no avail.  We have formed our own home school athletic organization.  These organizations are really big in the larger metroplexes, as Houston has several large sports teams.  We have even joined a league out of Louisiana that caters to home-school groups and smaller Christian schools.  This gives our kids something to play for, although it would be weird to be Louisiana state champs from Texas.  I am here to answer any questions.  From what I understand the bill has not passed.  I am not sure we would put our boys into school sports, but having that option would definitely be nice.  If there is a question I can't answer I know my wife will be able to.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1391046" timestamp="1365000657"]
The what if game:

What if there were a school that was on the border of lets say being 5a and they lacked 5 students and 6 homeschool kids play football. Does the homeschool kids count towards enrollment even though they don't attend that "school"?
[/quote]

I would think (more like hope) that the UIL would not "punish" the school in this scenerio by moving them to a small 5A.

I know when you have students enrolled at alternative school, those students count toward your UIL attendance numbers. It would be very difficult to include Homeschooled students in that count.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1391057" timestamp="1365003519"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=110750.msg1391046#msg1391046 date=1365000657]
The what if game:

What if there were a school that was on the border of lets say being 5a and they lacked 5 students and 6 homeschool kids play football. Does the homeschool kids count towards enrollment even though they don't attend that "school"?
[/quote]

I would think (more like hope) that the UIL would not "punish" the school in this scenerio by moving them to a small 5A.

I know when you have students enrolled at alternative school, those students count toward your UIL attendance numbers. It would be very difficult to include Homeschooled students in that count.
[/quote]

I would think that homeschooled kids will benefit schools for baseball, basketball, Track, and maybe soccer since these are sports that kids can play outside of school at a high level. I don't know if football wise you will see a big difference. I may be wrong though.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1391057" timestamp="1365003519"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=110750.msg1391046#msg1391046 date=1365000657]
The what if game:

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what makes a 3a/4a borderline school from getting its kids to go home school during the week of snapshot for realignment purposes?

[quote name="the_darkman" post="1391079" timestamp="1365008095"]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=110750.msg1391057#msg1391057 date=1365003519]
The what if game:

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what makes a 3a/4a borderline school from getting its kids to go home school during the week of snapshot for realignment purposes?
[/quote]

If your district wants to "cook" the numbers, they are already doing so. Allowing homeschooled students to participate in UIL events will not suddenly legislate morality.

Cheaters cheat.

[quote name="GCMPats2" post="1391094" timestamp="1365009634"]
[quote author=the_darkman link=topic=110750.msg1391079#msg1391079 date=1365008095]
[quote author=GCMPats2 link=topic=110750.msg1391057#msg1391057 date=1365003519]
The what if game:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If your district wants to "cook" the numbers, they are already doing so. Allowing homeschooled students to participate in UIL events will not suddenly legislate morality.

Cheaters cheat.
[/quote]
Excellent point!

This is so dumb.  There will be so many schools cheating and students being "homeschooled" that will ruin sports for everyone.  Chester86, I understand that it would be good for small communities like yourself, but for the 3A + it is going to be people trying to play sports and not go to school. 

[quote name="Count Coog" post="1391306" timestamp="1365088542"]
This is so dumb.  There will be so many schools cheating and students being "homeschooled" that will ruin sports for everyone.  Chester86, I understand that it would be good for small communities like yourself, but for the 3A + it is going to be people trying to [size=18pt]play sports and not go to school[/size].
[/quote]

You would be suprised by the number of student/athletes already engaging in this activity.

[quote name="Count Coog" post="1391306" timestamp="1365088542"]
This is so dumb.  There will be so many schools cheating and students being "homeschooled" that will ruin sports for everyone.  Chester86, I understand that it would be good for small communities like yourself, but for the 3A + it is going to be people trying to play sports and not go to school.
[/quote]
We live in Bridge City.  Several of my players live in Beaumont, and then the majority live around Silsbee.  If people want to cheat they are going to find a way to do it regardless of the rules.  I will just say everyone on our team are bona-fide home-schooled athletes.  We have come across the "students" who are avoiding grades, or schools because of disciplinary issues.  We simply have standards that are high, and are not willing to lower them to win by cheating so those players have to find somewhere else to go.  I really think this will be a non-issue for public schools and is a lot to do about nothing.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin