HJ AD/Head Coach???

Could be, the only one I know of was Justin Simmons football in 99 got a partial to Navy, I can't remember the boys name in basketball (97?) but he was asst coach at Lamar a yr or so, Jason Troup got a JUCO schollarship in 98, you have some names?? I was simply pointing out the sport with the most going to the next level yearly was at the BOTTOM of who gets the $$ I think a dozen would be a stretch tho...unless your speaking of all sports combined, but baseball itself has had a dozen or so going to the next level with 6-7 going into pro-ball. You would have to agree 'several' in the history of the school is somewhat lacking if you look at how much $$ is spent on these 2 sports. Baseball don't even have a field unless you want to call the old, unmaintained, no lites cow pasture a baseball field 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="643" post="1390558" timestamp="1364843588"]
Could be, the only one I know of was Justin Simmons football in 99 got a partial to Navy, I can't remember the boys name in basketball (97?) but he was asst coach at Lamar a yr or so, Jason Troup got a JUCO schollarship in 98, you have some names?? I was simply pointing out the sport with the most going to the next level yearly was at the BOTTOM of who gets the $$ I think a dozen would be a stretch tho...unless your speaking of all sports combined, but baseball itself has had a dozen or so going to the next level with 6-7 going into pro-ball. You would have to agree 'several' in the history of the school is somewhat lacking if you look at how much $$ is spent on these 2 sports. Baseball don't even have a field unless you want to call the old, unmaintained, [b]no lites[/b] cow pasture a baseball field 

[/quote]

Still can't figure out why you are complaining about having full flavored beer at HJ baseball games! If you want to drink that watered down brew, take your sissy butt to Silsbee! In Sour Lake, it's full flavor brew, or no brew at all!!  8)

[quote name="643" post="1390504" timestamp="1364831400"]
Embarrassed....when ya get to be 60 you could care less, I don't remember the last time I have been embarrassed BUT will say its >never< been due to spelling or grammer....ever.
[/quote]
Why are you spending so much time defending your poor spelling?  After all, it could just be poor keyboard skills.  Or, for that matter, it could be the inability to construct a sentence.  There are many reasons!

There are lights at HJ's baseball field.

Just in the last 6 years in basketball, Shawn Pruddome, Jarvis Benard, Ryan Donahoe, and Duane Durely received scholarships that I know of.

In football, you had Joe Persohn sign with Lamar last year. Trey Burrell signed a football scholarship a few years ago.

I am sure there are more recently.

As for the dozen I can name that received football or basketball scholarships over the years, well here are a few more other than the 6 I already named:

Gene Isabell      basketball
Kenyon Spears  basketball
Duane Joubert    football
David Martel      football
Gary Martel        football

That's just a few that I know of, but it is much more than the "1 or 2" that you stated EVER received an offer to play in college.

I know there are many more over the years but I will let a Hardin-Jefferson person post that info.

There have been many students in the past that were offered football scholarships but didnt have the grades and could not get the SAT scores to get in. Josh Williams played at Arkansas State and was a freshman All-American at Linebacker (before he quit his senior year) . Many have forgotten the history of the Pat Fischer era.

[quote name="fireinthehole" post="1390603" timestamp="1364855515"]
There have been many students in the past that were offered football scholarships but didnt have the grades and could not get the SAT scores to get in. Josh Williams played at Arkansas State and was a freshman All-American at Linebacker (before he quit his senior year) . [b]Many have forgotten the history of the Pat Fischer era[/b].
[/quote] I havent, i do believe his teams gave my HS problems (SFA)

Matter of fact, wasnt he the last HC to lead HJ to the playoffs??

They never lost to SFA and that was with the kid that played at LSU( good player, played with the Patriots), whose names has slipped my mind.
I think they made the playoffs one year after Coach Fischer left, but in coaching, the year after counts as the previous coaches year, at least where I am from. Since then H-J has not been back. They won district with him there too.

[quote name="fireinthehole" post="1390607" timestamp="1364857527"]
They never lost to SFA and [b]that was with the kid that played at LSU[/b]( good player, played with the Patriots), whose names has slipped my mind.
I think they made the playoffs one year after Coach Fischer left, but in coaching, the year after counts as the previous coaches year, at least where I am from. Since then H-J has not been back. They won district with him there too.
[/quote] Eric Alexander...

Aggie, I will say its about time, how long of a 'dry spell' was there tho, for yrs n yrs there were only a few other than baseball, Kenyon Spears was the one I was speaking of helping at Lamar after playing college ball, one of those you listed was my coach in HS and I'm 60 so forgive me for not going back as you did. There has also been a few boys go to the next level playing golf. I stand by my statement on baseball having the most by FAR and recieving the least. BTW HJs field does have lights and most probally they are still laying on the ground as they were in 95 96,97,98, the field they play on does but its the PONY field, go look behind the school at the HJs field then report back. Its the same field and probabally in the same shape as when Gene Isabel played at HJ in the 60s...Baseball has for YRS been treated like a redheaded stepchild...

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1390588" timestamp="1364853730"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=109970.msg1390504#msg1390504 date=1364831400]
Embarrassed....when ya get to be 60 you could care less, I don't remember the last time I have been embarrassed BUT will say its >never< been due to spelling or grammer....ever.
[/quote]
Why are you spending so much time defending your poor spelling?  After all, it could just be poor keyboard skills.  Or, for that matter, it could be the inability to construct a sentence.  There are many reasons!
[/quote]...So much time?? I got plenty of it when I'm not fishing. The main reason is becuz of JACKWAD KEYBOARD COWBOYS like you who look for things to chastize folks with, spelling and grammer gimme a break...like I said it don't bother me in the least as a matter of fact its kinda of childish and I'm being VERY polite

[quote name="643" post="1390610" timestamp="1364860755"]
Aggie, I will say its about time, how long of a 'dry spell' was there tho, for yrs n yrs there were only a few other than baseball, Kenyon Spears was the one I was speaking of helping at Lamar after playing college ball, one of those you listed was my coach in HS and I'm 60 so forgive me for not going back as you did. There has also been a few boys go to the next level playing golf. I stand by my statement on baseball having the most by FAR and recieving the least. BTW HJs field does have lights and most probally they are still laying on the ground as they were in 95 96,97,98, the field they play on does but its the PONY field, go look behind the school at the HJs field then report back. Its the same field and probabally in the same shape as when [b]Gene Isabel[/b] played at HJ in the 60s...Baseball has for YRS been treated like a redheaded stepchild...
[/quote]

The Gene Isabell I am speaking of graduated in '91 and played on the '91 state championship team. He is a doctor now at Beaumont Bone and Joint.

In regards to the baseball field, I was referring to the field that HJ has been playing on the last several years.

A few more basketball and football scholarship offers for HJ athletes over the years:

Shannon Holmes      basketball
Jeff Burke                basketball
Jamey Harrison        basketball
Clay Davis                basketball
CC Tyler                  basketball
Mark Holmes          basketball
Garrett Gustafson    basketball
Rocky Rocquemore  basketball
Sam Williams            basketball
Michael Warren        football
Jake Roby                football
Ty Roby                  football
Clint Walters            football
Aaron Walters          football
Tim Anderson          football
Ryan Skinner          football
Wes Eaves              football
Desmond Porter      football
Blake West            football

SFA had some really good athletes come through there....don't forget Kenny Ford, Graylin Johnson....some guy played linebacker for them with Ford, i believe he went on to play ball in Ok...may Ok St....don't remember his name.  SFA ranked #4 that year....had really good team....beat HJ in the last two minutes of the game....HJ went 8-2  that year but didn't make playoffs.  There have been some really good football players come through HJ as well.  AAW thanks for remembering some of those guys at hj. 

[quote name="bedelmon" post="1390661" timestamp="1364871182"]
Not trying to rain on any parades but was I wondering if any had played at the professional level... ie NBA or NFL. I know of a few baseball guys that played MLB from HJ.
[/quote]

Ben Broussard, who grew up in Beaumont, but moved HJ in HS plays for MLB Indians or did. I guess he's still playing.

AAW, the Gene Isabell 643 speaks of is Sr....he was principal at hj hs when Gene Jr. played basketball and graduated from there. He is also correct of the baseball field located on the school grounds....i believe back in the 80's they brought in some fill dirt to put on the base paths to level the ground....it was full of pebble rock....great to play on!

[quote name="spede" post="1390667" timestamp="1364872936"]
AAW, the Gene Isabell 643 speaks of is Sr....he was principal at hj hs when Gene Jr. played basketball and graduated from there. He is also correct of the baseball field located on the school grounds....i believe back in the 80's they brought in some fill dirt to put on the base paths to level the ground....it was full of pebble rock....great to play on!
[/quote]

I am aware of Gene Sr. and of the field behind the school (played league softball on it in my days).

I just thought he was talking about the field that the HJ baseball team had been playing on for many years now.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1390666" timestamp="1364872429"]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=109970.msg1390661#msg1390661 date=1364871182]
Not trying to rain on any parades but was I wondering if any had played at the professional level... ie NBA or NFL. I know of a few baseball guys that played MLB from HJ.
[/quote]

Ben Broussard, who grew up in Beaumont, but moved HJ in HS plays for MLB Indians or did. I guess he's still playing.
[/quote]Ben played for McNeece(3 time hitting champ) then drafted by the reds also played for the Indians, Seatle, Rangers, and then was traded to the NYY.  He played AAA for  the Yanks then quit.  I heard he is tring to get back into it again.
Also Tyson Young was drafted out of High School from HJ.
Some others that I know that played college ball.
Basketball
Lamanack, Neil - cant remember where
Spears, Kenyon - Lamar

Baseball
there was one big one that graduated in late 90's that played for the reds. cant remember name
McKeller, Laine - McNeece
Erickson, Tim - Lamar I think
Vaglika, Matt - Angelina
McKeller, Pat - New Mexico, Angelina
Robuck - Lamar
another pitcher that was on the 07 team to Lamar. cant remember his name
Duplant this year already commited

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1390608" timestamp="1364858136"]
[quote author=fireinthehole link=topic=109970.msg1390607#msg1390607 date=1364857527]
They never lost to SFA and [b]that was with the kid that played at LSU[/b]( good player, played with the Patriots), whose names has slipped my mind.
[/quote]
You, Sir, are a virtual encyclopedia of mid and eastern Jefferson County high school
sports history.  And, you are correct. :) 8)

[quote name="usedtobe" post="1390793" timestamp="1364926774"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=109970.msg1390608#msg1390608 date=1364858136]
[quote author=fireinthehole link=topic=109970.msg1390607#msg1390607 date=1364857527]
[/quote]
You, Sir, are a virtual encyclopedia of mid and eastern Jefferson County high school
sports history.  And, you are correct. :) 8)
[/quote]kinda easy (he was a classmate)  ;)

[quote name="hitman009" post="1390778" timestamp="1364924900"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=109970.msg1390666#msg1390666 date=1364872429]
[quote author=bedelmon link=topic=109970.msg1390661#msg1390661 date=1364871182]
[/quote]

[/quote]Ben played for McNeece(3 time hitting champ) then drafted by the reds also played for the Indians, Seatle, Rangers, and then was traded to the NYY.  He played AAA for  the Yanks then quit.  I heard he is tring to get back into it again.
Also Tyson Young was drafted out of High School from HJ.
Some others that I know that played college ball.
Basketball
Lamanack, Neil - cant remember where
Spears, Kenyon - Lamar

Baseball
there was one big one that graduated in late 90's that played for the reds. cant remember name
McKeller, Laine - McNeece
Erickson, Tim - Lamar I think
Vaglika, Matt - Angelina
McKeller, Pat - New Mexico, Angelina
Robuck - Lamar
another pitcher that was on the 07 team to Lamar. cant remember his name
Duplant this year already commited
[/quote]
Good thing Duplant has already committed - his season so far wouldn't garner much next level interest. 8)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86