GCCISD Week 3

Peppermint Patty

1 hour ago, Steven Avery said:

Why arent BH and any of the GCCISD school playing? It makes no sense to me. Would have a huge crowd and playoff atmosphere. Instead RSS is playing Booker T Washington and BH is playing Heights.  SMH

It has been a long time coming but to be fair up until last year the GCCISD schools didn't even play each other every year. Does seem like a missed opportunity for some revenue and rivalry building for when they are inevitably in the same district in the future. 

4 minutes ago, sahen said:

It has been a long time coming but to be fair up until last year the GCCISD schools didn't even play each other every year. Does seem like a missed opportunity for some revenue and rivalry building for when they are inevitably in the same district in the future. 

I am just gonna say it's not a GCCISD decision.  They play in virtually every other sport.

34 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

It is not him.

They will play volleyball in the playoffs.

So it’s Poole? Didn’t they play when gage was the coach and Denny’s kid was the qb?

yeah the potential volleyball playoff argument matchup is weak one…the kids want to play..play the non district game early in the season because odds are they will be different teams come November 

13 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

Well westerburg is gone so the problem should have cleared up lol

They do not play each other in volleyball either which makes no sense

I’m sure TW was trying to schedule tough teams for BH in non-district play. GCM doesn’t really qualify as that right now. Good chance they’re in the same district with GCM next year though. 

5 hours ago, Go-rilla said:

Sterling scrimmaged BH a few years back and it was ugly. Lee and GCM were in BH district for a while. Your smoking dope if you think it would be a playoff atmosphere. None of these teams would bring a crowd to BH and the game wouldn’t be close. I have no dog in the fight just stating the truth.

We will never know. 

On 9/12/2021 at 12:20 AM, Go-rilla said:

Sterling scrimmaged BH a few years back and it was ugly. Lee and GCM were in BH district for a while. Your smoking dope if you think it would be a playoff atmosphere. None of these teams would bring a crowd to BH and the game wouldn’t be close. I have no dog in the fight just stating the truth.

A RSS and BH game would. GCM and REL not so much.

8 minutes ago, BlackShirts5 said:

GCM Vs Bh would have been a decent game last year. Lee Bh was a good game a couple years ago until the 4th quarter. 

He's talking more about attendance (I think). With that, I agree.  GCM has very little fan/student support. It's quite sad.

Kudos to the baseball team for coming out this year though. They need to get their classmates involved as well.

3 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

He's talking more about attendance. With that, I agree.  GCM has very little fan/student support. It's quite sad.

Kudos to the baseball team for coming out this year though. They need to get their classmates involved as well.

Oh yea I def agree with that. RSS seems to always have a crowd win or lose.  GCM has less fan support then the water polo team. 

1 hour ago, BlackShirts5 said:

RSS seems to always have a crowd win or lose.  

I attended the majority of the RSS home games in 2019. (didn't attend anything in 2020) and you are right RSS has loyal fans. I remember one cold windy night they were getting blown out badly but the fans stayed and cheered until the end.  

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

I attended the majority of the RSS home games in 2019. (didn't attend anything in 2020) and you are right RSS has loyal fans. I remember one cold windy night they were getting blown out badly but the fans stayed and cheered until the end.  

When GCM first opened they had a pretty decent following. The move to 6A not only killed most of the programs, it made fans indifferent. 

Football has been inconsistent and really has minimal history (12 years) with no playoff wins.

Sterling and Lee have much more in that department (even though the majority of those graduates from the 90's and up are now on the Hill).

Yes I was talking about attendance and atmosphere. Like Patty said, many are RSS graduates from the 90s whose kids attend BH. There is a rivalry between the kids now that wasn't there when I was in school.

Back in the mid 90s BH was a 3a and where you went if you couldn't hack it at 5A Sterling or Lee to get to play. That is no longer the case with the boom that has occurred out there with mostly Baytown people. BH puts a lot of effort into making it known that sports are very important where as GCCISD is more about the everyone gets a trophy mentality with the 3 schools. That way they can have 3 bands, 3 qbs etc.  I much prefer the one horse town where everyone is an eagle and an administration that wants to win and understands the publicity that comes with it. 

Now that the schools are roughly the same size, RSS and BH should play every year and I'm ok with mixing in GCM every once in while vs playing an HISD schools or traveling an hour away to play someone.

I often drive by stallworth on a friday night and feel terrible for those kids with hardly anyone in the stands. Most of the time its either Lee or GCM that is playing when I see that. Go watch a BH game on a Friday night and the home side stands are full. If I am kid that is where I would want to play, its a great atmosphere.