Chess

AledoAlumni

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love chess until I found out that I really had no clue what I was doing. I learned which way to pieces moved when I was about five years old and played with my father at that age. All the way to high school I could easily be a random person that “knew how” to play chess, which was (like me) how the pieces moved.

Then I found out there were named strategies and named attacks. That’s when I basically gave it up. Now we have the Internet but 50 years ago I did not feel like reading several books and playing enough games to learn how to be really good at it. I did beat the high school chess champion one time. I played my typical, I know which way our pieces moved and I tried to anticipate his next move. After I won he kind of laughed and said I had the most difficult method to beat. That was the random, I have no clue what I’m doing but smart enough to anticipate. He had taken years to learn to counteract certain strategies and that all goes out the window when the other person has no strategy. 😂