TIM FINN NAMED NEW HEAD COACH AT BAYTOWN LEE

3 minutes ago, PlayActionPass said:

I guess, I can't see anybody enjoying getting their brains beat in game after game.

But, I'm sure there are a number of young coaches looking for that first chance and plenty of old guys looking to get those retirement numbers up.

If they balance the enrollment at all three GCCISD high schools, Lee will have a chance to compete. If not, it will be tough.

Some coach will take a shot there. What's the worst that can happen?

37 minutes ago, Loyal Ranger said:

they have been saying they will redraw the lines for 3 years now and nothing has changed.. even if you redraw the lines it doesn't help Lee immediately that would take a couple years. Whoever gets this has a long struggle ahead of them. 

They could win 4 games next year. Not impossible. 

If they don't rezone, not far fetched to see them drop to 4A.

19 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Hearing Walter Fortune and the slot-t, any truth?

Kinda out of the blue, but might be a good idea. The slot-t has taken many schools with a talent deficit and allowed them to compete. If they can control the clock by running the ball and play good defense they might be able to right the ship.

Coach Fortune has never had athletes at either Tarkington or Hardin, so I'd be interested to see how he can do with a team with a few.

15 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Kinda out of the blue, but might be a good idea. The slot-t has taken many schools with a talent deficit and allowed them to compete. If they can control the clock by running the ball and play good defense they might be able to right the ship.

Coach Fortune has never had athletes at either Tarkington or Hardin, so I'd be interested to see how he can do with a team with a few.

offensively that can work if you have a solid D, lee's problem when they tried to do that was the teams in their district put up a lot of points and Lee is not going to win shootouts. Most of their best players played both ways and injury to one player could hurt offense and defense. 

1 hour ago, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Former Gander coach Dick Olin made a plea in today's "Baytown Sun" for rel to finally hire Clint Riley. He felt Riley should have been hired to begin with many years ago.

Interesting. 

I would like to clarify my remarks that I made to The Baytown Sun concerning not hiring Coach Riley after my resignation.  

Coach Riley served the district for 17 years as a coach, teacher, and member of the community.  His wife was a teacher in GCCISD and remains as such to this day. Coach Riley’s kids both graduated from Baytown Lee. He understood the dynamics of Baytown but more importantly, he understood Baytown Lee — the parents, the kids, the faculty, and the Baytown Lee culture.  We had a good staff that functioned well together and was instrumental in any of the successes at Baytown Lee. We had developed a competitive program that saw a high of over 300 participants and a great deal of success during our years. With the addition of GCM, our numbers declined, as was expected. We competed but not at the level once attained. I referred to the decision to build a third high school as “death by design.”  Had the board wanted to do what was best for the city, they would have accepted the One Plus proposal and combined Baytown Lee, Baytown Sterling as 9-10, 11-12 campuses.  This was the recommendation of a panel of educators and community members that came after studying educational issues in Baytown for one calendar year. The board listened intently and then tabled One Plus.   

20 minutes ago, Loyal Ranger said:

I would like to clarify my remarks that I made to The Baytown Sun concerning not hiring Coach Riley after my resignation.  

Coach Riley served the district for 17 years as a coach, teacher, and member of the community.  His wife was a teacher in GCCISD and remains as such to this day. Coach Riley’s kids both graduated from Baytown Lee. He understood the dynamics of Baytown but more importantly, he understood Baytown Lee — the parents, the kids, the faculty, and the Baytown Lee culture.  We had a good staff that functioned well together and was instrumental in any of the successes at Baytown Lee. We had developed a competitive program that saw a high of over 300 participants and a great deal of success during our years. With the addition of GCM, our numbers declined, as was expected. We competed but not at the level once attained. I referred to the decision to build a third high school as “death by design.”  Had the board wanted to do what was best for the city, they would have accepted the One Plus proposal and combined Baytown Lee, Baytown Sterling as 9-10, 11-12 campuses.  This was the recommendation of a panel of educators and community members that came after studying educational issues in Baytown for one calendar year. The board listened intently and then tabled One Plus.   

Coach Olin had some great ideas. He also wanted to turf the practice/game fields at RSS and rel.