Silsbee/Yates Venue!

WOSgrad

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1378561" timestamp="1361633769"]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=109733.msg1378506#msg1378506 date=1361604176]
Honest question....Is this a game I can attend with my son or do I have to worry about dodging fists and bullets getting to the car?
[/quote]
Just because Yates is a black school doesn't mean they are ghetto thugs. Though none of the basketball players live there, the Third Ward is where most of the students and the school are and is generally thought of in a better light and more classy than the Fifth Ward where Kashmere is from which is straight hood. Essentially, the Third Ward is like the Pear Orchard in Beaumont. A historically black neighborhood but a decent one.
You saw/heard what happened with Kashmere Friday night but that won't happen with Yates because they are different schools/different communities.
Besides, I have a feeling Silsbee fans will be heading to their cars much sooner than the Yates fans so there should be no problems.
[/quote]
Contrary to what some people may think, you will be ok. Nothing to worry about.

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1378626" timestamp="1361645594"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=109733.msg1378561#msg1378561 date=1361633769]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=109733.msg1378506#msg1378506 date=1361604176]
Honest question....Is this a game I can attend with my son or do I have to worry about dodging fists and bullets getting to the car?
[/quote]
Just because Yates is a black school doesn't mean they are ghetto thugs. Though none of the basketball players live there, the Third Ward is where most of the students and the school are and is generally thought of in a better light and more classy than the Fifth Ward where Kashmere is from which is straight hood. Essentially, the Third Ward is like the Pear Orchard in Beaumont. A historically black neighborhood but a decent one.
You saw/heard what happened with Kashmere Friday night but that won't happen with Yates because they are different schools/different communities.
Besides, I have a feeling Silsbee fans will be heading to their cars much sooner than the Yates fans so there should be no problems.
[/quote]
[b]Contrary to what some people may think, you will be ok. Nothing to worry about.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree, jackyateshoops.

[quote name="proudmom#32" post="1378588" timestamp="1361638900"]
I don't like speaking down on peoples kids,but Kashmere is beyond Hood!! They are some very disrespectful and untamed kids. These kids were let off the bus to partake in this fight. I believe that this school should be sanctioned for this event.
[/quote]
proudmom #32, they say the EXACT same thing about Silsbee kids around SE Texas, ma'am...The area around Kashmere has changed DRASTICALLY over the last few years...Leadership at the school has changed, and the community is NOT the same..It USED to be a very prideful area, but now all that is gone...City kids are a COMPLETELY different type of kid from what you are used to in Silsbee...HOWEVER to most in SE Texas you are no different from them. So you're right, don't talk down on them.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1378647" timestamp="1361649914"]
[quote author=proudmom#32 link=topic=109733.msg1378588#msg1378588 date=1361638900]
I don't like speaking down on peoples kids,but Kashmere is beyond Hood!! They are some very disrespectful and untamed kids. These kids were let off the bus to partake in this fight. I believe that this school should be sanctioned for this event.
[/quote]
proudmom #32, they say the EXACT same thing about Silsbee kids around SE Texas, ma'am...The area around Kashmere has changed DRASTICALLY over the last few years...Leadership at the school has changed, and the community is NOT the same..It USED to be a very prideful area, but now all that is gone...City kids are a COMPLETELY different type of kid from what you are used to in Silsbee...HOWEVER to most in SE Texas you are no different from them. So you're right, don't talk down on them.
[/quote]

In regards to this particular incident, all I know is after speaking with 3 different Baytown police officers, they all told me it was Kashmere folks who started, instigated or provoked the scuffle.

Some Silsbee fans are far from being "angelic" but it seems some Kashmere fans did not like the fact that "country" beat "city" in an urban sport. I was told Kashmere fans were waiting outside for some payback.

The big problem though was Lee College not having enough security in the first place.

Also, DV, talk around SETX goes the same for Ozen, Central, PA Memorial, WO-S and other schools as well. ;) ::)

Well DV I am not from Silsbee and I don't live in Silsbee,and My sons both of them have been playing ball since they were old enough to dribble one.I will not take back what I said,and I agree with AAW they say that about all of the area schools,but nothing like this has ever happened . In all of my years of Basketball(regular season,AAU,ymca) I have never seen such disrespectful kids . I am not too sure about the changes Kashmere has made,but I have a very close friend who is a principal in that district and she has informed me that this is nothing out of the ordinary for these kids. Someone should be held accountable. Where were the sponsors,where was the HISD police,Where were their PARENTS???There is no excuse for what happened. This involved me directly. So I may have more of an opinion than you DV!!!

Guest Air Bisquit
[quote name="proudmom#32" post="1378666" timestamp="1361652749"]
Well DV I am not from Silsbee and I don't live in Silsbee,and My sons both of them have been playing ball since they were old enough to dribble one.I will not take back what I said,and I agree with AAW they say that about all of the area schools,but nothing like this has ever happened . In all of my years of Basketball(regular season,AAU,ymca) I have never seen such disrespectful kids . I am not too sure about the changes Kashmere has made,but I have a very close friend who is a principal in that district and she has informed me that this is nothing out of the ordinary for these kids. Someone should be held accountable. Where were the sponsors,where was the HISD police,Where were their PARENTS???There is no excuse for what happened. This involved me directly. So I may have more of an opinion than you DV!!!
[/quote]

Proudmom32, you have to take Dickie V with a grain of salt.
According to Dickie V most all the HISD schools walk on water and they do nothing wrong.
He is only here to stir the pot!!

IMO Yates, Kashmere, Wheatly, and Milby should combine and may two 5A schools. Kashmere is a wreck and so is Wheatly. All being held together by old boards and love of the community. Could save HISD money to combine.Kashmere does have some very very bad student and I sat with some parents. You see why the kids don't know any better.  I feel bad for them!

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1378561" timestamp="1361633769"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Who said my worry was because Yates was a black school?  That is a pretty harsh assumption you made there sir.  I was simply asking about safety in response to the fact that Silsbee fans were involved in an altercation in the parking lot after the Kashmere game.  Also there are threads describing the tense discussions between the coaching staffs, the fans on this board are pretty intense with their jawing, and a report of a dust up between the players taking place before the game even started!  Yates being a black school is the least of my worries.  I just wanted to make sure the environment would be safe for my young son to see what I expect to be a great basketball game.  Don't project that racism on me!  8)

It is safe to take your son to watch the game. 

In regards to Yates, I personally know 5 players, they all live right there, 3 within walking distance of the gym.    I know the 2 boys that moved here from Africa a couple of yrs ago, they live right down the street from Yates.  You need more knowledge, hit me up. 

As to recruiting,  how many of Silsbee kids used to go to or live in another district,  such as Kountze or PAM?  they moved to a parent address grandparent whatever , but it isn't recruiting! Right?   

[quote name="Jy DeePotts" post="1378852" timestamp="1361677988"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=109733.msg1378472#msg1378472 date=1361597410]
Ill be there live and in person again! Trust me Yayes crowd will be THIN! Its a work night and they dont travel outside of Houston well.
[/quote] We sold out the State game in 2008 the first to ever do it
[/quote]Not if you include Gregory Gym, you didn't  ;)

mfd814,I can't speak for other kids who moved to Silsbee,but you mentioned PAM. My son was not recruited by any means. We did'nt use a parents address, he lives in Silsbee with his father, for much bigger reasons than basketball.So,before you speak about recruits from PAM(because my son is from PAM)know your facts!!!Thanks

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1378912" timestamp="1361719992"]
So a 2 kids from Africa move to 3rd ward of all places on earth. Come on son! Why would they come to 3rd ward? Yates has a foreign exchange program too?
[/quote] When you have a program with that type of exposure schools like JY are approached. Its a good program. Been good for years. Schools like Yates have adapted to the times.  ;)

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1378912" timestamp="1361719992"]
So a 2 kids from Africa move to 3rd ward of all places on earth. Come on son! Why would they come to 3rd ward? Yates has a foreign exchange program too?
[/quote]

A certain former Rockets All Star Center "influenced" where they landed.  But, of course, these two just happened to want to be broadcasters when they become adults and Yates has that famous communications school.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1378733" timestamp="1361663748"]
IMO Yates, Kashmere, Wheatly, and Milby should combine and may two 5A schools. Kashmere is a wreck and so is Wheatly. All being held together by old boards and love of the community. Could save HISD money to combine.Kashmere does have some very very bad student and I sat with some parents. You see why the kids don't know any better.  I feel bad for them!
[/quote]
First of all IF YOU ARE NOT FROM HOUSTON, and don't REALLY know the city, DONT COMMENT ABOUT IT, as if you do... ::) ::) How would you combine MILBY, WHEATLEY, YATES, AND KASHMERE? :o....There was talk to combine Wheatley and Kashmere a few years ago, but the 5th Ward community did not want that, and they have enough juice in the HISD brass to get what they want.  Milby and Yates should not even be in this discussion about consolidating schools...Yates is only 3A as a FOOTBALL EXPERIMENT so that they can become competitve again in the sport, and try to win a title...It didn't work...They will be 4A again next re-alignment, and honestly should be now..Milby's enrollment has been hurt by Chavez...Combining Milby and Chavez would be smart, but thats never been discussed.....I used to coach at Kashmere, and while there were and still are some knuckleheads there, its not unlike any other inner city school in America...Silsbee has it share of ignorant parents and knucklehead kids, but so does ANY OTHER area school...You have to understand that the Kashmere and Wheatley kids are no longer traditional neighborhood kids anymore...These kids are coming from low income, single and no parent homes for the most part, and it has only gotten WORSE over the last few years...When I coached there, we had MANY really good kids...MANY...and that was in the latter 90's...Wheatley AND Kashmere had kids that took pride in their school and community...Thats no longer there.

[quote name="TopDawG52" post="1378931" timestamp="1361725856"]
Yates wouldn't win a state championship in football in 2a. Cmon dv..... yates might as well get rid of the football program
[/quote]
Agreed, but back in the day Yates WAS known as a football power, not basketball...They had some great players to come through there, but did not win it all untill 2009 in basketball.

I think it is important to give Yates every advantage they can get.  Downgrade them to 3-a so they can win in football.  If that doesnt work, maybe we can make them 3a in basketball and 1-a in football.  THe impact on other schools is irrelevant.  The important thing is to make Yates a winner regardless of the impact on everyone else.  I have a feeling that the swimming program will have to go down to -3a to have a shot though.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder