SETXSports Preseason Baseball Rankings

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kountzemania
Kelly did themselves well by hiring Jimmy Neale as Head Baseball Coach. He is a good coach that relates well to kids and has a deep knowledge of the game in both mechanics and strategy

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1369407" timestamp="1359850483"]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]
Woodville 3? Other than benefiting from a weak district. What have they done the last couple of years? Other than CH they played a bunch of weak sisters and could have backed into the playoffs. I would put the at 7 tops. Can't see them stand up to a Howell, a D
Williams, a Franklin, or even E/C with their three All state players....

[quote name="Pocogrande" post="1370461" timestamp="1360124507"]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=108890.msg1369407#msg1369407 date=1359850483]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]
Woodville 3? Other than benefiting from a weak district. What have they done the last couple of years? Other than CH they played a bunch of weak sisters and could have backed into the playoffs. I would put the at 7 tops. Can't see them stand up to a Howell, a D
[/quote]
Lol ooooooh really? Because Woodville beat Howell last year with a less experienced team. They've got seven all-district picks returning including the district co-MVP and all-state catcher. That "weak district" consisted of 4 D1 prospects (Twine,Hickman,Hayley, and Phillips) along with two of the four nationally ranked in their respective classes (Twine and Hayley). Twine is, by some experts, a possible first round draft pick after he graduates. Oh yeah and that weak district had a CH team that went to the state finals and won a total of eight playoff round in 2 years. Woodville has one as well, and Hemphill has two.
Now remind me...what other 2A district in this area can you line up with those credentials? Lol I could go deeper into the last ten years, but there's no point. That was NOT a weak district. In fact, I'd venture to say that either Hemphill or Woodville is in the race for a championship in the district Warren and Deweyville were I'm last year.

[quote name="Pocogrande" post="1370461" timestamp="1360124507"]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=108890.msg1369407#msg1369407 date=1359850483]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]
[/quote]
And none of those three pitchers you just named are as good as Twine, Hayley, or Phillips on the mound. And Hickman beat Howell last year.
Howell is a very good pitcher and will continue in college for Lamar. Franklin is very inexperienced and quite frankly, not to the caliber YET of any four of the ones I named. Dylan Williams has good control and junk, but those only get you so far. And as for EC. Did they even make the playoffs last year? All three of those teams are good baseball teams.

District 22
Corrigan-Camden
Hemphill
CH
Newton
San Augustine
Woden
Woodville

Take out CH and with the exception of a few INDIVIDUAL players, this is a district of also rans....Unless you think Woden, San Augustine and Newton are baseball powerhouses??? Corrigan..fair. Hemphill has wonder boy...not much else. You basically ran up your stats in a weak district. And no, E/C did not make the playoffs or have a winning record, with three All state players. So either the players were over rated or the district they were in was that tough....Woodville is above average, thats it. #7

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1370505" timestamp="1360130873"]
[quote author=Pocogrande link=topic=108890.msg1370461#msg1370461 date=1360124507]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]
[/quote]
And none of those three pitchers you just named are as good as Twine, Hayley, or Phillips on the mound. And Hickman beat Howell last year.
Howell is a very good pitcher and will continue in college for Lamar. Franklin is very inexperienced and quite frankly, not to the caliber YET of any four of the ones I named. Dylan Williams has good control and junk, but those only get you so far. And as for EC. Did they even make the playoffs last year? All three of those teams are good baseball teams.
[/quote]
Saw Franklin pitch Monday.. pretty solid

Guest kountzemania
Pitchers like Franklin or Marshall at Kounze are babies. Those guys are Soph. and are not going to have the experience but what colleges look at with pitchers is project-ability. Guys like Twine are a great athlete and a pitcher and I feel leads the pack this year, but when you look at a team and where they will finish or should finish, it is not and will not be all about one guy. Most teams won't survive  with one great pitcher and one or two hitters. I think you have to look at the total picture, look at depth in pitching and position fulfillment. If you want to gauge a program than it all goes back to project-ability and broad spectrum depth as a whole. One more thing I think alot of programs miss the boat when it comes to the coaching and support of JV programs. JV feeds your program.

[quote name="kountzemania" post="1370565" timestamp="1360160792"]
Pitchers like Franklin or Marshall at Kounze are babies. Those guys are Soph. and are not going to have the experience but what colleges look at with pitchers is project-ability. Guys like Twine are a great athlete and a pitcher and I feel leads the pack this year, but when you look at a team and where they will finish or should finish, it is not and will not be all about one guy. Most teams won't survive  with one great pitcher and one or two hitters. I think you have to look at the total picture, look at depth in pitching and position fulfillment. If you want to gauge a program than it all goes back to project-ability and broad spectrum depth as a whole. One more thing I think alot of programs miss the boat when it comes to the coaching and support of JV programs. JV feeds your program.
[/quote]
I threw out names simply because he decided to by saying "Can't see them stand up to a Howell, a D
Williams, a Franklin, or even E/C with their three All state players...."
And you keep saying take out CH or without CH when the simple fact is that CH was part of that district. And they count toward what you're calling a weak district. Buna and Warren are the only two teams that could've competed with the top three in that district last year. Which was proven to be true when Woodville tied both of them. Deweyville did not compete much when they came to Woodville. Played a double header and lost both by good margins.

[quote name="Go4BB1194" post="1370666" timestamp="1360169705"]
How can you say you beat Howell when he only pitched 3innings ???
[/quote]
Woodville did a good job making him throw a lot of pitches. He gave several free passes and hid defense made a few errors behind him. It happens to everyone. Not taking anything away from him at all with those comments. He's a great pitcher.

How do you have Hardin at #5 four spots a head of Deweyville? Deweyville swept them last year. Howell pitched both games and Hardin had 2 hits total in those two games. He pitched a no-hitter the second game and he has shown to be better this year so far in practice. Deweyville has 7 starters back. And quite frankly, when Howell's on the mound they won't need to score a lot of runs, unless they committ a lot of errors. I don't see that experienced crew doing that. Somebody, earlier said that they would put Deweyville in the 6 spot and I would agree with that. I would have them 5 or 6, but I wouldn't put Hardin ahead of them.

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1371427" timestamp="1360334887"]
How do you have Hardin at #5 four spots a head of Deweyville? Deweyville swept them last year. Howell pitched both games and Hardin had 2 hits total in those two games. He pitched a no-hitter the second game and he has shown to be better this year so far in practice. Deweyville has 7 starters back. And quite frankly, when Howell's on the mound they won't need to score a lot of runs, unless they committ a lot of errors. I don't see that experienced crew doing that. Somebody, earlier said that they would put Deweyville in the 6 spot and I would agree with that. I would have them 5 or 6, but I wouldn't put Hardin ahead of them.
[/quote]
I understand your point. But what I was mainly focused on is Deweyville as a team. How are they when Howell doesn't start? Mediocre. And with Howell being committed, you have to realize he probably won't be allowed to completely carry this team like he did last year. I understand they swept Hardin. But would they have if Howell didn't pitch? My guess is no.

Woodville did not tie Buna last year.  Buna won by 1.  Woodville scored when one of Buna's starters came off the mound and some guys pitched who hadn't thrown since before distrist started.  The only tie Buna had last year was with Bridge City.[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1370642" timestamp="1360168453"]
[quote author=kountzemania link=topic=108890.msg1370565#msg1370565 date=1360160792]
[/quote]
I threw out names simply because he decided to by saying "Can't see them stand up to a Howell, a D
And you keep saying take out CH or without CH when the simple fact is that CH was part of that district. And they count toward what you're calling a weak district.[b] Buna and Warren are the only two teams that could've competed with the top three in that district last year. Which was proven to be true when Woodville tied both of them. [/b]Deweyville did not compete much when they came to Woodville. Played a double header and lost both by good margins.
[/quote]

Warren will be solid this year , no doubt about it with an experienced player returning at every spot.They hit well,field very well and have tons of speed.The missing ingredient may be the one that allowed Woodville to get their regional appearances and the state title in 05 and that's DOMINANT pitching.The Beck brothers gave Woodville a legitimate mid 90's hurler and you just don't see that often at the 2-a level. Warren also has a very good young coach so they should be fun to watch.

[quote name="Puma concolor" post="1371600" timestamp="1360350486"]
Woodville did not tie Buna last year.  Buna won by 1.  Woodville scored when one of Buna's starters came off the mound and some guys pitched who hadn't thrown since before distrist started.  The only tie Buna had last year was with Bridge City.[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=108890.msg1370642#msg1370642 date=1360168453]
[quote author=kountzemania link=topic=108890.msg1370565#msg1370565 date=1360160792]
[/quote]
And you keep saying take out CH or without CH when the simple fact is that CH was part of that district. And they count toward what you're calling a weak district.[b] Buna and Warren are the only two teams that could've competed with the top three in that district last year. Which was proven to be true when Woodville tied both of them. [/b]Deweyville did not compete much when they came to Woodville. Played a double header and lost both by good margins.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yeah I stand corrected.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1369407" timestamp="1359850483"]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]

I don't think Evadale should be rank above Big Sandy. Big Sandy is clearly the better team..

[quote name="Nike107" post="1372053" timestamp="1360437829"]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]

I don't think Evadale should be rank above Big Sandy. Big Sandy is clearly the better team..
[/quote]
I'm not sure that clearly is the correct word to use. It's not very clear. Especially with the loss of the Hendrix kid. But that was two spots that could've gone either way. So to that extent, I agree.

[quote name="eagleswoodville#1" post="1372059" timestamp="1360438381"]
[quote author=Nike107 link=topic=108890.msg1372053#msg1372053 date=1360437829]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm not sure that clearly is the correct word to use. It's not very clear. Especially with the loss of the Hendrix kid. But that was two spots that could've gone either way. So to that extent, I agree.
[/quote]

Well you have all the returning starters except Mr. Hendrix and the lost of one senior, but Big Sandy lost to Warren by 1 in each game in that double header without Hendrix pitching. Well i guess it all depends if Big Sandy can get those bats going or else it will go either way. I guess will see how things workout during the season.

[quote name="Nike107" post="1372063" timestamp="1360439020"]
[quote author=eagleswoodville#1 link=topic=108890.msg1372059#msg1372059 date=1360438381]
[quote author=Nike107 link=topic=108890.msg1372053#msg1372053 date=1360437829]
A,AA,Private:

1. Beaumont Kelly
2. Warren
3. Woodville
4. Kountze
5. Hardin
6. Evadale
7. Big Sandy
8. West Sabine
9. Deweyville
10. Colmesneil
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well you have all the returning starters except Mr. Hendrix and the lost of one senior, but Big Sandy lost to Warren by 1 in each game in that double header without Hendrix pitching. Well i guess it all depends if Big Sandy can get those bats going or else it will go either way. I guess will see how things workout during the season.
[/quote]
Exactly my thoughts on the bats. And Hendrix was not only a great pitcher for them but also was a huge stick. He will be a huge loss to recover from. But like I said, could've gone either way.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder