Astros

[quote name="shovel" post="1360563" timestamp="1357133076"]
Minor league team playing in a Putt-Putt park. I'm a lifelong Astros fan and am used to being disappointed. Jim Crane bought the team in shambles and it will take some time to build a team. Will have to wait and see if he wants a winner or not.
[/quote]Im a Pittsburg Pirates fan myself, but the Astros are my second team!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Not sure what they were thinking by trading away Jed Lowrie... They got back some prospects, but I'm not sure how close they are to being in the majors...

Not trying to down them, but they will more than likely have to work very hard to not lose 100!!!

I have already bought Astro tickets for the opening weekend series with Oakland. Hopefully, they won't be mathematically eliminated by then.

For those of us that have been Astros fans forever, this season will be painful. Even more than last year. I doubt they win more than 45 games.

But for those of us that are still sticking with them, it only proves that we are real Astros fans ! When they do finally put together a great team (in 3 or 4 years), we can't be accused of jumping on the bandwagon.

I read in Wednesdays Enterprise that the Astros changed their flagship radio station from KTRH to KBME. I dont see how going from a 50,000 watt station to a 5000 watt station makes any sense at all. Now that Milo is gone, I cant get excited about listening to the Astros get beat on the radio anyways...

[quote name="HubTx" post="1370218" timestamp="1360107473"]
Not sure what they were thinking by trading away Jed Lowrie... They got back some prospects, but I'm not sure how close they are to being in the majors...

Not trying to down them, but they will more than likely have to work very hard to not lose 100!!!
[/quote]
Trade was smart. They got one big power bat in Carter who hit 16 HR in 200 AB last year for Oakland and is only 26 years old. He will K alot, but should hit 30+ dingers and has a history of walking some. With the lack of power bats this was a good pickup. Stros were gonna lose 100 with or without Lowrie so getting Carter and possibly Stassi the young Catcher in the deal who appears to have some power as he hit 15 Hr in 300-400 ABs already a couple times in the Minors. If Stassi could hit 20 Hrs in 600 abs in the MLB in a few years and call a good game then thats an excellent pickup. Lowrie was a hot comodity now based on his best pro season yet last year before the injury. Stros strike while the irons hot especially since two of there best prospects are SS in Villar and Correa. Villar could be with the club in September.

But what does the trade say to the fans? If I was an Astros fan, I would be irate at the current state of the team.... When Lowrie was healthy last year, he was one of the bright spots.... I agree, try to gather as many young prospects as you can, but you have to put fans in the seats somehow, and the promise of a bright future doesn't do that....

Their team payroll is less than a handful of players will make alone this year...

[quote name="shovel" post="1371362" timestamp="1360328075"]
I read in Wednesdays Enterprise that the Astros changed their flagship radio station from KTRH to KBME. I dont see how going from a 50,000 watt station to a 5000 watt station makes any sense at all. Now that Milo is gone, I cant get excited about listening to the Astros get beat on the radio anyways...
[/quote]

I don't get this bc weak station and with Michael berry blame ktrh?

[quote name="HubTx" post="1371556" timestamp="1360345835"]
But what does the trade say to the fans? If I was an Astros fan, I would be irate at the current state of the team.... When Lowrie was healthy last year, he was one of the bright spots.... I agree, try to gather as many young prospects as you can, but you have to put fans in the seats somehow, and the promise of a bright future doesn't do that....

Their team payroll is less than a handful of players will make alone this year...
[/quote]
It says to me, and I am a FAN, that the front office is smart.
Was Lowrie gonna make the difference in this team being competative this year? NO
Is he a part of the long term plan? NO (Villar, Mier or Correa)
Did he have his best pro season last year before the injury? YES
Is there anything that suggests that he will do it again? NO
Time to get something for him while you can cause if he reverts back to the below average MLB hitter with 10 HR power then you wasted him.

Building from the farm system and sprinkling in a few FA here and there is the way to go...Ala the 1990 Stros, the current Cards, Rays and Giants.  What makes Houston different from the Pirates and Royals who are always rebuilding is that the Stros can sustain a payroll above 100 mil. So when their young talent matures they can keep them. PATIENCE

[quote name="king" post="1372777" timestamp="1360635700"]
We  have the #1 pick again.

projected to select OF Austin Meadows.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1469135-2013-mlb-mock-draft-fresh-first-round-predictions-for-the-new-year
[/quote]

I would be surprised if we end up drafting Meadows 1st. Imo based what I've seen and read Mark Appel RHP, Sean Manea LHP, Clint Frazier HS OF,  and Ryan Stankek RHP are all better prospects.

If the draft was tomorrow I would lean toward taking Appel because he is the most polished and safest prospect.  He has good velocity and was the only college arm that projected to have 3 60+ pitches in last year draft. The big knock on Appel is that he suffers from pitch to contact syndrome and doesn't miss as many bats as some scouts would like.

With that said Manea probably has the best upside of the class right now. He is a 6'5 lefty with a 94-96 mph fastball and just got done tearing up the cape. Scouts are concerned with his high effort delivery and the fact he had over 3.5 era last year at Indiana State. He has also showed control problems in the past, but it was a different story in cape cod he had and 85/7 K to walk ratio and a 1.2 era.

Clint Frazier is an interesting prospect he is shorter than Meadows at 6'1 but the kid is built like a rock. Most scouts project him to have +speed +arm +contact and average power. Imo he is the best hs prospect in the draft.

Stankek has a great pitchers body and potentially the best slider in the draft, but his velo sits only about 91-93. He did however dominate the best college baseball conference last year and if he can improve his velo a bit could very well be the #1 pick.

Meadows is ranked high because he is a tall lanky projectable left handed bat who projects to have plus speed and power. The arm is not as good as Frazier and he swings and misses way to much for me.

[quote name="badndn" post="1373098" timestamp="1360701506"]
[quote author=HubTx link=topic=107873.msg1371556#msg1371556 date=1360345835]

[/quote]
It says to me, and I am a FAN, that the front office is smart.
Was Lowrie gonna make the difference in this team being competative this year? NO
Is he a part of the long term plan? NO (Villar, Mier or Correa)
Did he have his best pro season last year before the injury? YES
Is there anything that suggests that he will do it again? NO
Time to get something for him while you can cause if he reverts back to the below average MLB hitter with 10 HR power then you wasted him.

Building from the farm system and sprinkling in a few FA here and there is the way to go...Ala the 1990 Stros, the current Cards, Rays and Giants.  What makes Houston different from the Pirates and Royals who are always rebuilding is that the Stros can sustain a payroll above 100 mil. So when their young talent matures they can keep them. PATIENCE
[/quote]

It was the right move to get rid of Lowrie and we got some solid prospects out of the deal. The reality is that fpr years ownership tried to get by with overpaying past their prime veteran just to put butts in the seats and that lead to the disastrous farm system we used to have. The new owner and gm decided the best way to improve the team was to blow everything up and rebuild the farm system, which is now ranked 9th. It looks as if this strategy will continue for now, don't be surprised if we trade Bud Norris away as well. It's ok tho even if we have another 100 loss season that just means we can draft Carlos Rodon who is pretty much the reincarnation of David Price next year, and look even better for 2016 and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="puddin tane" post="1380751" timestamp="1362012988"]
lowrie was about the only one capable of taking advantage of the short left field....dudes only 28...shoulda kept him...

a good popup will go out in left and we are assembling a "hit singles" team
[/quote]
Again your worried about 2013.
This organization will have a lot of young talent coming into the big club in 2014 and probably won't be very competative until 2015 or 2016. By that time Lowrie will be 32 and could be useless in any trade scenarios.
And the young talent is not "hit singles" guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin