Montana Q....Willie Ray

luvublue

I have been hearing lately that people are having trouble voting for the Willie Ray Smith award. They can't decide what side of the ball to award Montana. The bottom line is this award is meant for the TWO BEST players in high school football for the past season. He deserves one of them. I can't see how he would not receive one of them. IF he was just a one way player think of how many yards or tackles he would have had. On a side note... I am still baffled why LAMAR has not offered this kid.

i can name 3 linebackers imo are better than montana those 2 from wos take your pick and that #33 from neederland . as far as the offensive side of the ball , im sorry in the last 2 years which offensive player  has meant more to his team and have put up over 2300 yrds 41 total tds (35 rushing ) than mr roberts from east chambers ? i didnt even bring up last years stats , why isnt this kid not getting offers ? havent we learned anything from maurice drew jones and  darrin sproles ?

[quote name="#62jjohnson" post="1359359" timestamp="1356755636"]
i can name 3 linebackers imo are better than montana those 2 from wos take your pick and that #33 from neederland . as far as the offensive side of the ball , im sorry in the last 2 years which offensive player  has meant more to his team and have put up over 2300 yrds 41 total tds (35 rushing ) than mr roberts from east chambers ? i didnt even bring up last years stats , why isnt this kid not getting offers ? havent we learned anything from maurice drew jones and  darrin sproles ?
[/quote]
Roberts is good but he doesn't get near Montana. Montana had 2144 yards and 35 TD's this season and that was with playing both sides of the ball and leading the team in tackles as well. And that's playing both sides of the ball in 4A. Something you rarely see and even more rarely see those numbers while doing so. Just imagine what Montana would have done if he was just running the ball. Everyone who has seen both players says Montana is the better player.

And to answer the question about Lamar is because Montana has chosen to follow his beliefs and go on a mission for his church. Afterwards he will attend BYU.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1359364" timestamp="1356757538"]
[quote author=#62jjohnson link=topic=107816.msg1359359#msg1359359 date=1356755636]
[/quote]
Roberts is good but he doesn't get near Montana. Montana had 2144 yards and 35 TD's this season and that was with playing both sides of the ball and leading the team in tackles as well. And that's playing both sides of the ball in 4A. Something you rarely see and even more rarely see those numbers while doing so. Just imagine what Montana would have done if he was just running the ball. Everyone who has seen both players says Montana is the better player.

And to answer the question about Lamar is because Montana has chosen to follow his beliefs and go on a mission for his church. Afterwards he will attend BYU.

[/quote]

Does he have a BYU offer or is he just going to walk on? Because i know for a fact a couple junior colleges have asked me if he has any D-1 offers and with Montana being academically qualified all he would need is to play one year juco ball before he could have his pick of what D-1 school he wants to attend.

No disrespect to any player in the area. Quarante was the best all around player in the area.  The kid had 1900 yds rushing and around 150 tackles.  He didn't play after halftime in 4-5 games.  He did this against 4A competition.  The 20 4a coaches thought he was the best player in the district. If he is not one of the best 2 players in the area...

There is no denying Q was the best all around player in 20-4A this year, but the issue for the WRS award is which side of the ball should he be up for. Remember the WRS award is broken down into Best Defensive player and Best Offensive player. So was he the best defensive player in the area? Couron, Lynch, pick a WOS DB, are all very deserving over Montana. Was he the best offensive player? The QB from PAM was very good. My guess is that there were so many exceptional defensive players this year, he will get the nomination from the offensive side since he really put up very good numbers. Again remember the WRS is not the best overall player like the Heisman.

No way should Montana be passed up for the WRS award.  He dominated 4A play this year.  The voters need to contact all the 20-4A Defensive Coordinators and ask them just how big of a deal he was in their game planning. His total yards and TDS speak volumes (on top of the fact that he was a very dominant LB on the other side of the ball). 
I wish someone had his stats for yards after contact. The kid was an absolute bulldozer.  It was comical watching DBs try to knock him down.  He just kept on trucking.  His 2nd TD against Livingston this year was aruably the most impressive TD I have ever witnessed.
Montana deserves the Offensive award...No Doubt!

Come on guys, why are we even talking about this!....it should be a no brainer! This kid has been a 4 yr starter on a team not known for making the playoffs and yet he had a pivotal role in making it 3 of his 4 years.  The kid was arguably the best player in 20 4a last year and the MVP this year. Isn't this what the WRS award is all about. I mean if this kid can't win it on either side of the ball after the career he has had then I don't know what else you can do! The kid was the best football player in the area over the last 2 years! Oh yeah, LAMAR what are you waiting for???? geeesh!

What's comical is you folks from Vidor that don't get it. This is a very legit question. Which award will he win? There are TWO winners! WRS is not about best overall. No one in this area doubts that he was the best OVERALL player. As far as Lamar goes, I think it's been made very clear that he is going on a mission trip (2 years) and then to BYU...So I ask...Why would Lamar waste its time and money recruiting him?

No.... whats comical badndn is you think you know what the kid wants when actually you know squat! Also, I think there is  more than "Vidor" folks on this topic. Who are you to come on here and think your opinion carries more weight than "Vidor" folks anyway, from what iv'e read these people are just stating their opinion. So.....let me get this straight, he is the best overall player no doubt, just not good enough for the WRS award........makes sense. :o

[quote name="badndn" post="1359454" timestamp="1356804357"]
What's comical is you folks from Vidor that don't get it. This is a very legit question. Which award will he win? There are TWO winners! WRS is not about best overall. No one in this area doubts that he was the best OVERALL player. As far as Lamar goes, I think it's been made very clear that he is going on a mission trip (2 years) and then to BYU...[b]So I ask...Why would Lamar waste its time and money recruiting him?
[/quote][/b]

Your right they've had great success on recruiting! ;)

Looking back at last year's winners....you might think that a defensive player from Ned might not win the award again....even though, there are some very deserving athletes who may still be nominated....like Stampley, Pryor, or Couron.

Does Singleton winning it last year hurt a PAM offensive player's chances this year?

Definetly, putting M Quirante as a winner of one of the awards.

So do you look at someone from WOS or Newton as winner/strong contender for other side of the ball.  If Quirante wins it defensively, does Salter win it offensively?  That would a nice winner, considering the circumstances and how he filled in and then returned and lead his team this season.

If Quirante wins it offensively, then do you give the nod to one of the WOS defensive standouts?  Picking just one?

I'd lean to Salter offensive winner and Quirante defensive winner.

Central's Mitchell should be a finalist along with Fisk PA. 

This year they just might want to consider adding a few spots for finalists.  There are so many players that are deserving to just be nominated.

I understand what you are saying badndn but I refuse to believe that the "best" overall player in the area should not win 1 of the awards .  His numbers on either side of the ball are as good as if not better than any other candidate.  There are many great football players in the area .  I have seen a lot of teams play. It would be a shame if he is not a wrs winner after what he has done on the field

Should win one of the wrs awards.. I would like to know why Lamar has not offered him. I know for a fact you can put mission off until you graduate. Im tired of kids with character issues being signed by Lamar only for them to quit on the team. Let's go get home grown talent with high character. There are several around the area. I know they picked up a good one from Central. Go ask him if Montana can play

Dockofthebay, once again, yes Montana was in my opinion the best overall player in the area this year because he excelled on both sides of the ball, but the question is which side will he be a finalist. If there was a local Heisman he would be the winner hands down, but the WRS is top Offense and top Defense. I'd like to see Montanas defensive stats. I know they are good, but I would bet that Lynch and Courons numbers might be better. That said, I suspect his offensive numbers would be hard to beat. Fact is there were a lot of great defensive players this year. More so than most years. Offensively Q stands out this year with 2000+ combined yards and 35+ TDs. So in my opinion Montana will be an offensive finalist and will win the WRS award for top offensive player. I think Lynch will win Defensive award.

Q was the best overall player. But not the best one side or the other. On the offensive side he wasn't the best thrower. Defensive side you could take Stamp, Pryor or Couron from Ned, or one of the WOS linebackers. Q was a outstanding football player and deserved every award he gets.

[quote name="ram0524" post="1359674" timestamp="1356840676"]
Q was the best overall player. But not the best one side or the other. On the offensive side he wasn't the best thrower. Defensive side you could take Stamp, Pryor or Couron from Ned, or one of the WOS linebackers. Q was a outstanding football player and deserved every award he gets.
[/quote]
Why throw when you can run for 1800+ yards in 11 games?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86