Tackle Question

vhs

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="1344177" timestamp="1354145449"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=106743.msg1343164#msg1343164 date=1353986398]
I like a small treble for live shrimp.
[/quote]

Don't let your liberal friends know that you are torturing fish and destroying nature!  You may lose your liberal card!  ;D
[/quote]

I use barbless hooks.    ;)

[quote name="vhs" post="1342249" timestamp="1353868107"]
What type and size hooks do you prefer for live shrimp?  Finger Mullett?  Shad?  This is always a source of debate with my fishing partners, and I wanted to see what some of you use.
[/quote]You should be ashamed to admit that you and your friends chunk meat !!! I have just named your boat Meat Chunker!

[quote name="westend1" post="1344194" timestamp="1354149329"]
[quote author=NorthoftheBorder link=topic=106743.msg1344177#msg1344177 date=1354145449]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=106743.msg1343164#msg1343164 date=1353986398]
I like a small treble for live shrimp.
[/quote]

Don't let your liberal friends know that you are torturing fish and destroying nature!  You may lose your liberal card!  ;D
[/quote]

I use barbless hooks.    ;)
[/quote]

I do most of the time.

[quote name="vhs" post="1344688" timestamp="1354226732"]
::)  I chunk whatever puts fish in the boat!!!
[/quote]

Me too brutha!  Whatever puts the goods on the table.

I get a kick out of those guys that say they only trout fish with arties...  strictly because of the sport.  If it's for the sport,  why not mullet fish? Now THAT would be a real challenge!  Or maybe try trout fishing with something that DOESN'T look like a shrimp or fish!  Those guys crack me up.

Probably the same guys that feed deer all year long,  then in Nov., hide in a tree,  300 yards away with a $500 snipers rifle and pick them off when they come in for the food they've been [i]trained[/i] to eat.  Then they call themselves good hunters???

OK....I'm off the soap box now.  :o

I, for one, don't like using live or dead bait.  I just don't enjoy it.    I would rather catch nothing.  Same goes for rattle traps.  My friends use them and they catch a lot of fish.  I don't like to jack with them.  BTW, I also bow hunt and don't really care much if I kill anything.

I grew up fishing dead and live bait and I enjoy it a lot  and it's hard to get away from. I fish arties too but lack the consistency and confidence. The enjoyment comes from being on the water and holding a rod but the thrill doesn't come from bait; it comes from the pull on the line or even the scream of the drag.

[quote name="westend1" post="1345045" timestamp="1354286654"]
I, for one, don't like using live or dead bait.  I just don't enjoy it.    I would rather catch nothing.  Same goes for rattle traps.  My friends use them and they catch a lot of fish.  I don't like to jack with them.  BTW, I also bow hunt and don't really care much if I kill anything.
[/quote]So, you are into it for the boat ride and the road trip, you must be on the downhill slide to 60!

So are the guys that aren't into it for "sport", just into it for the meat?

If so, why spend so much money on tackle, bait (live or artificial), gas to get to and from, maybe a boat, etc., and just go to the local market and buy fresh fish?  ;D

In truth we are all into it for sport but what we see as sporting or fun differs from person to person.

I fly fish and bow hunt as my preferred methods of taking game and fish. That won't stop my from using any and all legal methods but my preference is to make it feel like I am making it harder or taking more skill.

As an example, while shooting a deer at 300 yards with a rifle at a deer under a feeder might not be what some call "hunting", what is it called when you throw artificial lures into a school of fish that will hit practically anything and get a limit in 10 minutes? Is that really "fishing"?

High fence/low fence, artificial/live, close/far, land/boat or whatever. I say that if you like it and are enjoying the great outdoors, good deal.

I don't like using live bait, but you can ask TVC... if they won't take an artificial, i'll dang sure throw a live shrimp or mullet at them if we can catch some.  we fish together a decent amount during the summer, and while we never go straight to catch live bait, if our arties aren't working, we'll go to what is.

I like to fish and I really like to [u]catch[/u] fish.  I am about 50-50 on time spent with live bait vs. artificial.  I generally find that when I am fishing by myself I gravitate toward artificial.  When I have others with me, we usually use live bait.  I don't have a problem with either method.  I love to fish....Period!

[quote name="tvc" post="1345234" timestamp="1354304541"]
So are the guys that aren't into it for "sport", just into it for the meat?

If so, why spend so much money on tackle, bait (live or artificial), gas to get to and from, maybe a boat, etc., and just go to the local market and buy fresh fish?  ;D

In truth we are all into it for sport but what we see as sporting or fun differs from person to person.

I fly fish and bow hunt as my preferred methods of taking game and fish. That won't stop my from using any and all legal methods but my preference is to make it feel like I am making it harder or taking more skill.

As an example, while shooting a deer at 300 yards with a rifle at a deer under a feeder might not be what some call "hunting", what is it called when you throw artificial lures into a school of fish that will hit practically anything and get a limit in 10 minutes? Is that really "fishing"?

High fence/low fence, artificial/live, close/far, land/boat or whatever. I say that if you like it and are enjoying the great outdoors, good deal.
[/quote]

My comments were actually aimed at the guys that criticize the natural bait users,  and not necessarily anyone on this board.    Some are very vocal about using live/dead bait,  and they feel that the only true sport of fishing is with arties only.  Yet those same guys hunt the way I described.  That's not "hunting",  it's just killing... and that's fine too.  They just shouldn't criticize other people's methods of doing what they love to do... catch fish.

[quote name="tvc" post="1346701" timestamp="1354382187"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=106743.msg1346499#msg1346499 date=1354369814]
Starting to sound like a political thread
[/quote]

33% of the country using wide gaps, 33% using trebles, 33% using plain straight shank and 1% undecided.
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="tvc" post="1346701" timestamp="1354382187"]
[quote author=mat link=topic=106743.msg1346499#msg1346499 date=1354369814]
Starting to sound like a political thread
[/quote]

33% of the country using wide gaps, 33% using trebles, 33% using plain straight shank and 1% undecided.
[/quote]

Khale hooks or croaker hooks. Very similar to a circle hook, but a larger gap. I prefer #2's or 1/0.

As far as the discussion on live bait vs artifical.......my grandmother first taught me to fish some 30 years ago. It was shiners for white perch and shrimp or mullet in the salt. So I grew up fishing with meat. Now, very rarely do I use live bait. But that all depends on who is fishing with me. If its some of my regular fishing partners, its artifical. If its some guests that are out of towners and not regular fishermen/women, I will catch some good ole mullet. When I am solo, its all arti. I will throw a Spook all day just for that one bone chilling explosion!

The whole "not as sporting" thing is a joke. I am in total agreement with a earlier post that refers to being able to catch a limit with a bare hook in a school of trout. It sure is fun but no different than chunking a mullet. Why look down on fellow fisherman for their LEGAL fishing methods?

[quote name="Troutslayer1" post="1347876" timestamp="1354495327"]

Khale hooks or croaker hooks. Very similar to a circle hook, but a larger gap. I prefer #2's or 1/0.

[/quote]

Kahle hooks are what I was talking about with wide gaps AKA Croaker hooks. They are all the same hook.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder