2012 PNG football

This will be my first and last attempt at commenting on any site concerning Indian football.  Many Indian fans who contribute to these sites enjoy discussing the future of Indian football by injecting their optimism about our 9th grade team, our middle school teams, our junior league teams, or our kindergarten flag football teams.  I prefer to discuss the varsity football team and the debacle I witnessed over the past 10 weeks.
Why was this team basically non-competitive and so unprepared each time they took the field?  It was abundantly clear in the spring that this team had personnel issues with the quarterback as well as with the running game.  Throughout spring practice, the spring game, fall workouts, and the Texas City scrimmage, there were serious issues concerning the ability of our personnel to internalize this offensive and execute the system in place.  The performances the past 10 games, turnovers, yardage gained, penalties, points scored etc. bears this out.

With all these problems, why was there not an attempt made by the head football coach / offensive coordinator to change the system to maximize the personnel on the team giving these young men the best chance to compete?  Obviously I cannot answer this question, but it is clear that there was enough talent to be competitive in the majority of the games played this past football season.  It was a disservice to these young men to be placed in a system that did not maximize the talents of each and every player.

I lost count of how many times on 1st down our offensive would gain 4,5,6 yards on the ground, followed by 2 incomplete passes, interceptions, penalties, dropped passes etc.  How about ball control (a power running game with the right personnel) limiting the number of possessions the opposition has, shortening the game, playing for field position, and keeping your defense off the field?  Would this not have made this team more competitive?

I attended numerous practices this past football season.  I never witnessed the head football coach involved in the defensive practices.  Is not the head football coach responsible for all aspects of the game, offense, defense and special teams?  In a recent interview, Jimmy Johnson stated that a head football coach, who is both the offensive coordinator and head coach, often, spends too much time focused on his role as the play caller and not enough time managing all other parts of his team.  I have a hard time laying the blame for this past season at the doorstep of the assistant coaches when the head football coach has removed himself from coaching all other aspects of the team.  Whether there is success or failure, it all starts and ends with the head football coach.

I’m sure that in the near future Brandon Faircloth will have the right personnel that will allow him to score many points, accumulate a great deal of passing yardage, and pad all offensive statistics which will aide him in future years when seeking other coaching opportunities.  Unfortunately that will not repair what I have just witnessed:  a poorly prepared football team, a non-competitive football team, a team unable to implement his offensive scheme. Bottom line, there has been a complete breakdown in all phases of this football team.

Finally, it is my opinion that there were 20-25 players who with the right system, the right preparation, and the right use of talent could have been competitive this past football season. Unfortunately this season is in the books for the players, coaches, parents and this community.

I sincerely hope that in the future the young men who sacrifice to play football at PN-G will be put in situations that will give them the opportunity to maximize their talents in order to allow them the best opportunity to succeed on Friday nights.

Interesting......

http://www.pngindians.com/sports/football/playoffhistory

I would say don't give up on those Indians they have a great history of winning and a great community to back them.. Looks to me like they just couldn't click on all cylinders this year.. I would almost guarantee that will definitely be different next year among many teams..

i say you are right about the head coach, all blame has to be placed on him. I would have never guessed that PNG would have had a season like this year. If you dont put kids in the right positions you dont get their full potential. Im not saying he is a bad coach but it does hurt when you are head coach and offensive cord. also. Coach Newman is head coach aand Monte Barrow is offensive cord. in Nederland and it shows. Hope things will change next year for yall.

[quote name="indianchief23" post="1338662" timestamp="1353526466"]
  This will be my first and last attempt at commenting on any site concerning Indian football.  Many Indian fans who contribute to these sites enjoy discussing the future of Indian football by injecting their optimism about our 9th grade team, our middle school teams, our junior league teams, or our kindergarten flag football teams.  I prefer to discuss the varsity football team and the debacle I witnessed over the past 10 weeks.
Why was this team basically non-competitive and so unprepared each time they took the field?  It was abundantly clear in the spring that this team had personnel issues with the quarterback as well as with the running game.  Throughout spring practice, the spring game, fall workouts, and the Texas City scrimmage, there were serious issues concerning the ability of our personnel to internalize this offensive and execute the system in place.  The performances the past 10 games, turnovers, yardage gained, penalties, points scored etc. bears this out.

With all these problems, why was there not an attempt made by the head football coach / offensive coordinator to change the system to maximize the personnel on the team giving these young men the best chance to compete?  Obviously I cannot answer this question, but it is clear that there was enough talent to be competitive in the majority of the games played this past football season.  It was a disservice to these young men to be placed in a system that did not maximize the talents of each and every player.

I lost count of how many times on 1st down our offensive would gain 4,5,6 yards on the ground, followed by 2 incomplete passes, interceptions, penalties, dropped passes etc.  How about ball control (a power running game with the right personnel) limiting the number of possessions the opposition has, shortening the game, playing for field position, and keeping your defense off the field?  Would this not have made this team more competitive?

I attended numerous practices this past football season.  I never witnessed the head football coach involved in the defensive practices.  Is not the head football coach responsible for all aspects of the game, offense, defense and special teams?  In a recent interview, Jimmy Johnson stated that a head football coach, who is both the offensive coordinator and head coach, often, spends too much time focused on his role as the play caller and not enough time managing all other parts of his team.  I have a hard time laying the blame for this past season at the doorstep of the assistant coaches when the head football coach has removed himself from coaching all other aspects of the team.  Whether there is success or failure, it all starts and ends with the head football coach.

I’m sure that in the near future Brandon Faircloth will have the right personnel that will allow him to score many points, accumulate a great deal of passing yardage, and pad all offensive statistics which will aide him in future years when seeking other coaching opportunities.  Unfortunately that will not repair what I have just witnessed:  a poorly prepared football team, a non-competitive football team, a team unable to implement his offensive scheme. Bottom line, there has been a complete breakdown in all phases of this football team.

Finally, it is my opinion that there were 20-25 players who with the right system, the right preparation, and the right use of talent could have been competitive this past football season. Unfortunately this season is in the books for the players, coaches, parents and this community.

I sincerely hope that in the future the young men who sacrifice to play football at PN-G will be put in situations that will give them the opportunity to maximize their talents in order to allow them the best opportunity to succeed on Friday nights.
[/quote]

Thank you for your comments Mr. Burnett.

[quote name="png81" post="1338708" timestamp="1353532191"]
[quote author=indianchief23 link=topic=106612.msg1338662#msg1338662 date=1353526466]

[/quote]

Thank you for your comments Mr. Burnett.
[/quote]

LOL..Thats what I was thinking.

We had a down season and that is that. Future looks good for PN-G with Faircloth as Chief.

I definitely saw a loyal, passionate fan base when Summer Creek played PNG.  I'm from the Northeast and my take on Texas HS football is it must be tremendous pressure on the kids playing the game.  I've never seen anything like the stadiums and crowds found here in the Lone Star State.

I hate to see kids get cheated by poor coaching, but we need to keep this all in perspective too.  I'm taking my own advice here as well ...I've been a bit crazy in this forum.

I gotta believe PNG will be back strong.  Your district was very strong this year so I'm sure that added to the frustration.

Have a great Thanksgiving. 

[quote name="DemDAWGS!" post="1338718" timestamp="1353533215"]
I definitely saw a loyal, passionate fan base when Summer Creek played PNG.  I'm from the Northeast and my take on Texas HS football is it must be tremendous pressure on the kids playing the game.  I've never seen anything like the stadiums and crowds found here in the Lone Star State.

I hate to see kids get cheated by poor coaching, but we need to keep this all in perspective too.  I'm taking my own advice here as well ...I've been a bit crazy in this forum.

I gotta believe PNG will be back strong.  Your district was very strong this year so I'm sure that added to the frustration.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
[/quote]

There was no poor coaching...Coach Faircloths first season with us in 2009 brought us an Undefeated season in district, went 2 rounds deep in Playoffs. His second year we went 3 rounds deep and was taken down by Manvel. 3rd year Dayton's kicker took us out the first round. We have had 3 good seasons with Faircloth...and many more to come.

While I think this post is a little harsh, it does make me appreciate what we have in Nederland with neumann.  He will do whatever it takes to win, and even in the years when we struggled, he's always put competitive teams on the field.  It separates him from other "good" coaches.  He doesn't pigeon hole his players into his scheme or a single system that they may not be suited to execute.  PNG does have kids coming who can execute it, but agree this team would've been more competitive in a conventional offense.

In keeping with the theme of this thread, this will be my only post on this issue.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned the importance of building a program. I could not agree with this more. A program - as in a system that begins before high school - is absolutely essential to perennial success at the high school level. In the past, this program has not always been in place in the PN-G community. Someone else posted a link to the pngindians.com page that details our success in the playoffs during PN-G's long and impressive history. It does not take much electronic maneuvering to see the all time game results at PN-G, and it does not take much reviewing to determine that our season records over the past two decades have hardly been anything remotely approaching consistently successful. This has been due in large part to the absence of such a program. In years when talent has been abundant at the Reservation, the Indians have done well and gone far. However, unlike Nederland (which, as much as it pains me to admit, is a model program), in years where the talent has been less than optimal, we have suffered - tremendously. Someone in this thread said that they would have never expected PN-G to have such a poor season. If I've counted correctly, Coach Burnett (and don't get me wrong, I have immense respect for the man and his family, and I've said that several times) had at least four seasons with three wins or less in fifteen seasons. There are several more seasons with five wins or less in the same time frame.

One of the most important aspects of a consistent program is middle school coaching. Nobody at Nederland underestimates the importance of Jack Lynch and other coaches like him. Unfortunately, in PN-GISD, that quality of coaching was not always available at the lower levels. I'm not going to mention names or give details because these are issues that were buried seasons ago and don't need to be brought back up and aired out on a message board, but there were issues in our middle school programs that have since been corrected thanks to Coach Faircloth, and excellent personnel have been rotated into middle school coaching staffs that have increased in size since he took over our athletic department. And yes, for those wondering, I know what I'm talking about very well. "PN-G bandkid" wasn't always a band kid.

But it's not just middle school. Youth leagues are also important to programs that look to create and maintain success. Anyone who believes this step has not been taken need only look at the PNGYFA and talk to the parents there to see the amazing amount of support and guidance this program has received from both Coach Faircloth and the rest of our coaching staff.

Another issue that has been continuously raised about the Indians this year is Coach Faircloth's purported inability to adapt to his personnel on the field. Granted, the system he uses did not change much. However, that does not mean that no adjustments were made. I remind all of you that sophomore Kyle Walker was brought up from JV and given a chance as starting quarterback early in the season, but an injury unfortunately hampered his ability to play early in that game. He was later moved to cornerback - a supposedly unheard of defensive adjustment made by the head coach - and not only had success at that position, but even made a few interceptions. I would also remind you that by the end of the season, five sophomores and a freshman had been moved into starting positions to try and salvage something (experience for younger players) out of an already doomed season.

I have said in a few posts that I would have liked to see a few adjustments myself. But at the end of the day, I'm a college kid sitting at a computer just like everyone else here. The coaches know their players, their abilities and their system better than anyone else. Coach Faircloth has been very successful elsewhere and even in light of this year, has been very successful at PN-G (his overall record is 28-18; that's a .609 winning average in four seasons, compared to a .590 winning average for Coach Burnett in fifteen seasons that included a state championship run). The problems that plagued this team this year were not due wholly or even in large part to coaching. It simply was not our year. The kids gave their best, and we should be proud of them for that. Our coach is still a very good coach that has earned our support in three very good seasons during which we placed no lower than second in district under his leadership. The future at PN-G is bright and this season is over. It's time to put it to rest and move on.

I have said it all season regarding PNG defense issues.  IMO, it is a coaching issue more than the talent pool for this issue.

Think this PNG football group could have been more competitive during this season and I guarantee these same athletes will be competing for district title in baseball.

It doesn't matter if you score 50 points, if your opponent scores 56.  Defense must be addressed for PNG to be truly successful again.

Sliding into the playoffs next season and one and done is not really what PNG football would consider success.

PNG has great tradition and a football legacy and it's unfortunate that these athletes are only getting partial preparation for 4A football in SE Texas.  This hasn't been the first team to face issues and won't be the last.  And a stronger, more competitive PNG makes us all better.

[quote name="indianchief23" post="1338662" timestamp="1353526466"]

[/quote]

The great thing about this post if Indianchief doesnt lie is he are she is 1 and done on the subject. Must have a son on the team and felt the should have never lost a game.......... parents tend to not be able to believe that their children shouldn't suceed at everything they do.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1338741" timestamp="1353537512"]
i tend to agree. I mean PNG always has been a power house team. no matter what. Didn't png have a linebacker or something that was invited to an allstate game?
[/quote]

That would be Linebacker #33 Logan Warlick. He will be playing at Tampa Bay Buccaneer's Stadium in Florida in January. He is pumped to play with kids from around the country.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder