An open letter from the President of the West Beaumont Bulldogs

KeithD

To all contributors:

I just spent a while reading the posts on this site.  While I see a lot of healthy collaboration and information sharing on this site, I also see the dark side of youth sports.  Let me share one of my favorite sayings in the WBBIFL: In youth football, we have to deal with a lot of immaturity and childish behavior, and sometimes the kids act up as well.  This site really makes that obvious.  This season, despite my efforts to make Beaumont the model of integrity, I have had to deal with angry board members (from my own board and the STJFL), and angry parents as a result of my commitment to, and determination to uphold, the rules and bylaws of the STJFL.  Don't get me wrong; I absolutely agree with the rules of the STJFL and the spirit of the organization.  My kid is out there.  I want him protected, and I feel like the STJFL does the best job of that out of any youth sports organization I have ever been affiliated with.  But, protection should go beyond freedom from physical harm.  Protection should also cover the feelings of the players, their parents, and the coaches.  This week, I have seen physical protection upheld, but I have seen a multitude of feelings hurt. By people talking without realizing who is listening. By people making posts on this site that seem to promote a personal agenda while making inaccurate statements or accusations.  By fathers having difficult conversations with their sons.  It makes me sad to see something that I love tarnished by such ugliness.  And we “adults” are completely to blame.  There are no kids posting on this website.  There are no kids in the stands bad-mouthing the coaches that sacrifice their time to make youth sports possible.  There are no kids plotting new and creative ways to circumvent the rules for their own benefit.  The kids don’t feel persecuted; they just want to play.  And we screw that up by running our mouths.  I challenge everyone to use this site for good, not evil.  If everyone can’t do that, well, this is America and we are absolutely guaranteed our right to free speech, so I (and everyone else) can just get over it.  But, if you are a member of the Beaumont association, I beg you, please rise above.  There is nothing to be gained by talking smack on this site, and there is much to lose, starting with your own dignity, and then the reputation of our league.  Please don’t ruin this thing we have all worked so hard to make great.  Actions speak louder than words.  Show everyone what you can do on the field, not in front of your computer.

For the kids,

Keith Davis
President
WBBIFL

[quote name="SETX_RENEGADES" post="1306889" timestamp="1350915508"]
[quote author=KeithD link=topic=105013.msg1306516#msg1306516 date=1350854390]
To all contributors:

I just spent a while reading the posts on this site.  While I see a lot of healthy collaboration and information sharing on this site, I also see the dark side of youth sports.  Let me share one of my favorite sayings in the WBBIFL: In youth football, we have to deal with a lot of immaturity and childish behavior, and sometimes the kids act up as well.  This site really makes that obvious.  This season, despite my efforts to make Beaumont the model of integrity, I have had to deal with angry board members (from my own board and the STJFL), and angry parents as a result of my commitment to, and determination to uphold, the rules and bylaws of the STJFL.  Don't get me wrong; I absolutely agree with the rules of the STJFL and the spirit of the organization.  My kid is out there.  I want him protected, and I feel like the STJFL does the best job of that out of any youth sports organization I have ever been affiliated with.  But, protection should go beyond freedom from physical harm.  Protection should also cover the feelings of the players, their parents, and the coaches.  This week, I have seen physical protection upheld, but I have seen a multitude of feelings hurt. By people talking without realizing who is listening. By people making posts on this site that seem to promote a personal agenda while making inaccurate statements or accusations.  By fathers having difficult conversations with their sons.  It makes me sad to see something that I love tarnished by such ugliness.  And we “adults” are completely to blame.  There are no kids posting on this website.  There are no kids in the stands bad-mouthing the coaches that sacrifice their time to make youth sports possible.  There are no kids plotting new and creative ways to circumvent the rules for their own benefit.  The kids don’t feel persecuted; they just want to play.  And we screw that up by running our mouths.  I challenge everyone to use this site for good, not evil.  If everyone can’t do that, well, this is America and we are absolutely guaranteed our right to free speech, so I (and everyone else) can just get over it.  But, if you are a member of the Beaumont association, I beg you, please rise above.  There is nothing to be gained by talking smack on this site, and there is much to lose, starting with your own dignity, and then the reputation of our league.  Please don’t ruin this thing we have all worked so hard to make great.  Actions speak louder than words.  Show everyone what you can do on the field, not in front of your computer.

For the kids,

Keith Davis
President
WBBIFL
[/quote]

I agree with half of your statement, what I dont agree with is DADDY BALL. Its everywhere, you have the same kids playing O & D the entire game. 1 kid makes a error, he sits and then the following games that same kid plays his mandatory 10 plays and sits the rest of the game. While the others that play the entire game make errors dont sit the entire game. Some of these kids are old enough to see that and have feelings too. That is another reason why kids dont want to continue playing or dont make an effort to play, they sit an entire quarter of a gmae go in with 00:12 left for 1 play  then sit the enitre next quarter. This might open another can of worms but its true talk. We adults may get on here and talk smack, but the kids have the feelings on the field or sidelines.
[/quote]

I have seen this in select baseball as well.  ::)  A coaches kid plays all the time while other better kids sit the bench. That is DADDY BALL as well.....It's part of life that we will never change. If a kids parent is the manager or coach, there will be some form of daddy ball.  Some Dads can handle it, others not so much.  The best thing you can do is explain to your kid that life is not always fair, there are good coaches and bad coaches, and to live and learn.  What does not kill you makes you stronger.

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1306930" timestamp="1350918433"]
[quote author=SETX_RENEGADES link=topic=105013.msg1306889#msg1306889 date=1350915508]
[quote author=KeithD link=topic=105013.msg1306516#msg1306516 date=1350854390]
To all contributors:

For the kids,

Keith Davis
President
WBBIFL
[/quote]

I agree with half of your statement, what I dont agree with is DADDY BALL. Its everywhere, you have the same kids playing O & D the entire game. 1 kid makes a error, he sits and then the following games that same kid plays his mandatory 10 plays and sits the rest of the game. While the others that play the entire game make errors dont sit the entire game. Some of these kids are old enough to see that and have feelings too. That is another reason why kids dont want to continue playing or dont make an effort to play, they sit an entire quarter of a gmae go in with 00:12 left for 1 play  then sit the enitre next quarter. This might open another can of worms but its true talk. We adults may get on here and talk smack, but the kids have the feelings on the field or sidelines.
[/quote]

I have seen this in select baseball as well.  ::)  A coaches kid plays all the time while other better kids sit the bench. That is DADDY BALL as well.....It's part of life that we will never change. If a kids parent is the manager or coach, there will be some form of daddy ball.  Some Dads can handle it, others not so much.  The best thing you can do is explain to your kid that life is not always fair, there are good coaches and bad coaches, and to live and learn.  What does not kill you makes you stronger.

[/quote]

I have seen it at he high school level also.  Where a kids who was a good player warmed the bench most of his Junior year all because his Coach didn't care for him much.  He quit playing the game he loved his Senior year because of that coach.  But it isn't a sad ending story because in the end that young man went on to ump little league and this past summer even went to coach in the early games of the LL World Series.  He had the time of his life and made lots of memories.