png boss

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1299934" timestamp="1350171135"]
Good Lord. ::)

Faircloth's here to stay for the next few seasons at the very least. One mediocre season (if it turns out that way) will not affect his job security and I don't think he wants to leave with the amount of talent we have coming up.
[/quote]
I question the talent coming up 8)

I don't think he was interviewing for nothing this summer.  He could have a difficult time next year as well.  When the current group at Nederland were sophs, we started 6-7 sophs.  If what PNG had coming up was that good, they would be on varsity in my opinion.  PNG's fresh/8th grade are worth noting, but not sure how much they help next year.  Hope Fair cloth hangs around for pNG's sake.  He's a quality coach, just hit a dry patch..

So let me get this straight.

Faircloth interviewed for one school in the town where his wife's family lives that's only about a hundred miles from his hometown (where his family still lives), and all of the sudden he must be looking to get away from PN-G at all costs because there's no possible way he could win in the coming years with the supposed lack of talent (keyword being supposed) on a JV team that's 5-1 and a Freshman Purple team that's 6-0. Or, in other words, Faircloth has no commitment to PN-G because there's supposedly little talent rising through the ranks, despite the fact that he's spent four years here building a program from top to bottom (by that, I don't just mean high school) that is already bearing fruit at the lower levels.

Right. ::)

Faircloth is going to be at PN-G for the foreseeable future. He's done a fine job so far, the community wants him there and he's working in some of the finest facilities in the state in front of the largest high school fanbase in the state, arguably the nation. The only way I see Faircloth leaving is if he can get on as HC at an already prominent program such as Lake Travis or Southlake Carrol, and that's realistically not going to happen until he has strung together some deep playoff runs.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1300029" timestamp="1350179702"]

Faircloth interviewed for one school in the town where his wife's family lives that's only about a hundred miles from his hometown (where his family still lives), and all of the sudden he must be looking to get away from PN-G at all costs because there's no possible way he could win in the coming years with the supposed lack of talent (keyword being supposed) on a JV team that's 5-1 and a Freshman Purple team that's 6-0. Or, in other words, Faircloth has no commitment to PN-G because there's supposedly little talent rising through the ranks, despite the fact that he's spent four years here building a program from top to bottom (by that, I don't just mean high school) that is already bearing fruit at the lower levels.

Faircloth is going to be at PN-G for the foreseeable future. He's done a fine job so far, the community wants him there and he's working in some of the finest facilities in the state in front of the largest high school fanbase in the state, arguably the nation. The only way I see Faircloth leaving is if he can get on as HC at an already prominent program such as Lake Travis or Southlake Carrol, and that's realistically not going to happen until he has strung together some deep playoff runs.
[/quote]
your giving your town way to much credit, to most people outside of southeast texas it stinks around here, and while your facilities are nice by southeast texas standards, there are lots of places with better facilities than png, there are alot of places Faircloth would go besides Lake Travis or Southlake. That purple haze is clouding your thoughts.

[quote name="football04" post="1300041" timestamp="1350180497"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=104657.msg1300029#msg1300029 date=1350179702]

[/quote]
your giving your town way to much credit, to most people outside of southeast texas it stinks around here, and while your facilities are nice by southeast texas standards, there are lots of places with better facilities than png, there are alot of places Faircloth would go besides Lake Travis or Southlake. That purple haze is clouding your thoughts.
[/quote]Lol, easy up on him ;D ;)

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1300029" timestamp="1350179702"]

[/quote]

Some good points. I don't think he is going anywhere right now either. But, it should be noted that the freshman and JV teams were very good last year too and it does not always equate to Varsity success.

[quote name="jake94" post="1300055" timestamp="1350181579"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=104657.msg1300029#msg1300029 date=1350179702]

[/quote]

Some good points. I don't think he is going anywhere right now either. But, it should be noted that the freshman and JV teams were very good last year too and it does not always equate to Varsity success.
[/quote]

Agree. It sounds like PNG faithful are setting high expectations and I understand why. Then the boss will not have any excuses.

[quote name="jake94" post="1300055" timestamp="1350181579"]

[/quote]

Some good points. I don't think he is going anywhere right now either. [b]But, it should be noted that the freshman and JV teams were very good last year too and it does not always equate to Varsity success[/b].
[/quote] whew good point, i remember saying something similar to that months ago when i said no playoffs for the 35th time. +1 sir

[quote name="Trocket" post="1300044" timestamp="1350180841"]
[quote author=football04 link=topic=104657.msg1300041#msg1300041 date=1350180497]
[/quote]Lol, easy up on him ;D ;)
[/quote]

I know reading comprehension is something of a foreign concept to the specific breed of 20-4A fan that loves to dog PN-G at every given opportunity, so let me break this down for y'all.

First of all, I said programs [i]such as[/i] Lake Travis and Southlake Carrol. That means that these aren't the only two possible programs Faircloth would like to move on to some day, but rather that Faircloth would only be looking at programs of similar caliber with some leeway for programs close to his family.

Second, I [i]live[/i] outside of Southeast Texas, and I am extensively well traveled around the state of Texas with many contacts in many places. I know exactly what people think about Southeast Texas from the outside. I also know that PN-G's facilities, in particular the new, 13,000 seat, artificial turf stadium and the fieldhouse, are first class by any standard - not just the Southeast Texas standard - and that there are very few schools out there that, for football or whatever reason, have recognition statewide and even nationwide to a certain extent, and that this is a distinction that PN-G proudly holds. Again, this is something I know [u][b]living[/b][/u] and frequently travelling outside of Southeast Texas.

Third, I am well aware - perhaps more than I should be - of the ills of the PN-G community and Southeast Texas at large, and I know exactly how much credit they do or do not deserve. For all the crap people give the Golden Triangle and the PN-G community in particular, there is a lot to be admired in that humidity-laiden strip of Texas marsh flat, and it will never cease to amaze me how many people comment negatively on it with no idea of what they've got or what they're talking about. Obviously, I'm not the only one who recognizes the opportunities down there; Coach Faircloth, who was working at [u]Odessa Permian[/u], and a whole bunch of top-notch coaches from stellar programs jumped at the opportunity to work on the Reservation and compete in Southeast Texas high school football not even four years ago, including the likes of Calallen's Phil Danaher - the most successful active high school football coach in the state of Texas by wins - and Liberty Hill's Jerry Vance.

People have been saying Faircloth would leave since the day after he got here. So far he hasn't, and he's not going to any time soon. The one time he even tried to leave, it was to go to an already prominent Kerrville Tivy that was close to home. I know memories of 2009 and what Brandon Faircloth can do when he has talent at his command scare some people into praying he'll leave so hard that they eventually believe it will happen tomorrow, but the reality of the situation is that Brandon Faircloth will be at PN-G for the foreseeable future. You might as well accept it, and move on.

[quote author=jake94 link=topic=104657.msg1300055#msg1300055 date=1350181579]
[/quote]

That's true. And it's also true that when these seniors were freshmen, they went 1-9.

Part of the problem has been, at least in my opinion, moving certain players in certain positions up too soon. When fans were talking about bringing Walker up to varsity earlier this season, one of the comments that popped up on here a lot was that we might be making a similar mistake that some feel was made with AJ by moving him up too early. Last year, AJ sat on the sidelines virtually the whole season while Miller led the team on the field, and many people (myself included) felt that he may have benefited more from playing a full extra year on JV to get that extra experience under his belt rather than suiting up with the varsity squad to sit on the bench. We heard similar comments the year before when Miller showed some early struggle after sitting on the bench behind Doty for a whole year, but Miller grew into his own very quickly. On the other hand, though, our defense two years ago improved almost overnight when players were brought up several weeks into the season from the then-undefeated JV team.

That's just my opinion that isn't worth squat and I'm not trying to play arm-chair coach, but it did take about three or four games before AJ really came into his own and the season has been rocky as a result. It'll be interesting to see how that situation affects PN-G's QB choice in the coming seasons; Walker has a lot of promise and the freshman QB (can't remember his name) has been very impressive.

I think all of y'all are jumping to way too many conclusions way too early for the following reasons:

1. There are three reasons a head coach leaves; he gets fired because he stinks, he has the bizarre notion he can lead his alma mater to a state crown or, he gets a better offer. 4A head coaching gigs aren't a dime a dozen and last I saw, he's top 3 pay-wise in the area.

2. They feed that purple meth to those kids from the first grade on. He'll get more talent.

3. THIS SEASON AIN'T OVER! Should he get png into the playoffs, he'll re-obtain minor god status and all we right @ the mouth of the Neches.

Bamakid, that's extreme. I travel the state of Texas every month and outside of sets, nobody knows who PNG is. Most people in Houston don't even know. Coaches put in for jobs to scare their schools to give them more money. ie. Dahner and Liberty Hill coach when PNG job was open, and Neuman a couple years ago with applying at LaMarque.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1300200" timestamp="1350188892"]
Bamakid, that's extreme. I travel the state of Texas every month and outside of sets, nobody knows who PNG is. Most people in Houston don't even know. Coaches put in for jobs to scare their schools to give them more money. ie. Dahner and Liberty Hill coach when PNG job was open, and Neuman a couple years ago with applying at LaMarque.
[/quote]

Then you must be meeting different people than I am, because I've met people who do in New York, Washington, Florida, here in Tuscaloosa, and in several places across Texas, including Lubbock, Austin and San Antonio. And yes, many people in Houston, particularly people 40 and up who remember PN-G's numerous trips to the Astrodome.

As for whether or not the coaches were trying to scare their districts into more money, that might be true in Vance's case, but I don't think it was in Danaher's.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1300207" timestamp="1350189691"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=104657.msg1300200#msg1300200 date=1350188892]
[/quote]

Then you must be meeting different people than I am, because I've met people who do in New York, Washington, Florida, here in Tuscaloosa, and in several places across Texas, including Lubbock, Austin and San Antonio. And yes, many people in Houston, particularly people 40 and up who remember PN-G's numerous trips to the Astrodome.

As for whether or not the coaches were trying to scare their districts into more money, that might be true in Vance's case, but I don't think it was in Danaher's.
[/quote]
+1 FOR YOU BAMAKID..EVERY ONE KNOWS WHO THE "OTHER" PURPLE TEAM IS IN TEXAS

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1300207" timestamp="1350189691"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=104657.msg1300200#msg1300200 date=1350188892]
[/quote]

[/quote
You live in Alabama. I drive 3000 miles a month around Texas and almost every town you can think of. I promise you, your exaggerating. Come on man, PNG has some neat traditions, but it's just another high school. Once you get past Baytown, nobody cares who PNG is. Just saying. 70's are over. You weren't even born. Lol

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1300212" timestamp="1350190158"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=104657.msg1300207#msg1300207 date=1350189691]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You live in Alabama. I drive 3000 miles a month around Texas and almost every town you can think of. I promise you, your exaggerating. Come on man, PNG has some neat traditions, but it's just another high school. Once you get past Baytown, nobody cares who PNG is. Just saying. 70's are over. You weren't even born. Lol
[/quote]

Ok, you drive 3000 miles a month. Cool. I'm just telling you, I have met people in all of those places that have either pulled me aside because I was wearing something purple or asked me where I was from and knew exactly what I was talking about when I told them. Many also knew about TJ and WO-S and a few even knew about Nederland.

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1300213" timestamp="1350190286"]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=104657.msg1300212#msg1300212 date=1350190158]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=104657.msg1300207#msg1300207 date=1350189691]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ok, you drive 3000 miles a month. Cool. I'm just telling you, I have met people in all of those places that have either pulled me aside because I was wearing something purple or asked me where I was from and knew exactly what I was talking about when I told them. Many also knew about TJ and WO-S and a few even knew about Nederland.
[/quote]
I said the miles to make point. It's really a silly argument. Remember I just moved from Port Neches, so I know all about what is talked about in the PN and Groves communities.Good luck to y'all.

[quote name="TradinUp BH" post="1300215" timestamp="1350190642"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=104657.msg1300213#msg1300213 date=1350190286]
[quote author=TradinUp BH link=topic=104657.msg1300212#msg1300212 date=1350190158]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I said the miles to make point. It's really a silly argument. Remember I just moved from Port Neches, so I know all about what is talked about in the PN and Groves communities.Good luck to y'all.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know. You went to Barbers Hill (congratulations to your wife, by the way). And I'm sure you know what's talked about in Port Neches and Groves, but I don't see how that's relevant. All I'm saying is that I have been in many places where I, without even initiating anything on my own, have met people who knew where Port Neches is and who the Indians are.

And by the way, if you want a specific example from beyond Baytown, stop in at the toy shop in downtown Cleveland (providing the economy hasn't claimed it as a victim) and ask the guy who owns it about PN-G. He didn't even know us because of the football team, he knew us because of the band. Stop in and ask someone at the Chamber of Commerce in San Antonio. They told us to call ahead if we ever went back after the DCTF classic because they'd dye the riverwalk purple for us. I was also pulled aside by a family in a downtown San Antonio hotel to talk about PN-G because they recognized the logo on my band bag, and they were from Abilene. Go to Disney World. I was with a friend who held a conversation with a woman from Kansas there that recognized the Indian logo immediately, and the employees probably still remember us after we turned the Magic Kingdom purple for a day (I think they even used pictures of the crowd that came with us to advertise their high school band outreach program). Heck, come out to Tuscaloosa. I've been stopped three times here, and two of the guys weren't from Texas. In fact, I had a guy pull me aside because of my letter jacket on my first visit out here, and he was from Montgomery (Alabama, not Texas). I had another guy from Southlake who knew us because of the 1977 attendance record - apparently, that's been a subject of discussion up there lately. In Houston, I've been at banquets where people automatically started talking about watching PN-G in the Astrodome more than once when I said I was from Port Neches and I've had conversations with random people on my way out in Hobby Airport.

The bottom line is, people know PN-G. When you bring 34,000 fans to a football game, play the fight song over and over again, field highly competitive student groups in more than just athletics and set more than one of the state's top ten attendance records, you leave an impression. People don't forget stuff like that and word gets around. Sometimes it surprises even me.

PNG was the team everybody wanted to win against,not anymore. PNG is down and struggling this season. The Dogs are who everyone wants to whip upon now. Ask Vidor and Dayton who occasionally still talks about winning a scrimmage for pete sakes. Fans want to beat the defending district champs. It is just human nature. The Indians had them glory years but they are gone for now. I think Faircloth would leave for Odessa Perriman if that job became available.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder