Cmon Refs

jenks

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1299624" timestamp="1350152006"]
[quote author=jenks link=topic=104628.msg1299615#msg1299615 date=1350151682]
EC beat Newton the last 2 years and is still a playoff team. Can't compare them to Warren. No problem with the score last night from me.
[/quote]
Your right. But I wasn't comparing them to Warren. When Newton beat Warren you come out with a very strongly worded opinion how it was poor sportsmanship to do that and blamed the coach. When EC beat Warren by scoring a lot more points and winning by a larger amount than Newton did, you were a no show on the sportsmanship thing with regard to EC.
[/quote]
EC against warren had the same problem that y'all did last night.. the defense just kept getting big plays and once we got on offense their defense just couldn't stop us. We were in no way trying to run up the score on warren. The only thing that would be somewhat questionable about us running up the score no one mentioned from the game. Towards the end of the 1st half our sophomore kicker was instructed to kick a squib kick but he kicked it wrong and it came off as an onside kick. I believe we recovered it but we kneeled it. But we had no intention of running up the score..

[quote name="TheRef" post="1300199" timestamp="1350188606"]
Hey jenks, we have no instant replay, we have two less officials than college and NFL, and we are shorthanded. We could care less who wins the game as long as they play by the rules. A lot of the calls we make are judgement calls which means we have to make the decision and live with the decision that we make, but its our call not the guy sitting up in the stands, or the coach on the sideline that had a totally different angle and did not see it the same way that we did. We are doing our best so that the kids can play the game. That is right I said the kids. That is the reason we are there and the game could not be played without us. Yes we miss calls, and we make bad calls, and we live with the calls that we made. That ref that comes running from 50 yards away to tell me that the ball hit the ground, he had a different angle than I did and I thank him for pulling me off that call so that team does not get some cheap yardage that they did not earn. No I was not at your game last night, but whoever the guys were that called your game they did it for the kids, and if they messed up a call, it was not on purpose it was a human being making a mistake. I will be happy to let you have my striped shirt and my yellow flag and my rule book, and I will go sit in the stands and watch you. I guarantee next week I could find a reason to get on here and complain about something you did that I did not like. But that will never happen because if you did put on the stripes and you did get out on that field you would understand why things happen the way they do. So we will keep calling the game and making judgement calls and hopefully your team wins so I don't have to listen to the reason your team lost was because of the officials. You see we have been there and heard it time and time again. Guess somebody has to be blamed for the loss!

But I will leave you with a quote from a famous coach from our area.

If a team is not good enough to overcome a bad call made by an official, that team was probably not going to win in the first place!     

Coach Darrel Barbay Newton Eagles
[/quote]
I agree with everything you said. My issue is if every Ref acknowledges they did not see a fumble, why would you give the ball to the other team just because a defender comes out of a pile with a ball. The player that lost the ball did not even realize his possession was even a question and let loose of the ball in the pile.  Mistakes are made when a ref sees a call. Julius Jones scored a touchdown today on the Cowboys game, but was not called a touchdown until instant replay and the ref saw the whole thing. I especially know the job is hard. I was a baseball umpire for years, so I understand. If I did not see a play I was not going to make a call on it.  If I were a referee, which I might sign up for, I would be the one that would let the kids play and limit my calls as much as possible. Its never going to be perfect.

[quote name="BRONX ROX" post="1300202" timestamp="1350189315"]
[quote author=TheRef link=topic=104628.msg1300199#msg1300199 date=1350188606]
Hey jenks, we have no instant replay, we have two less officials than college and NFL, and we are shorthanded. We could care less who wins the game as long as they play by the rules. A lot of the calls we make are judgement calls which means we have to make the decision and live with the decision that we make, but its our call not the guy sitting up in the stands, or the coach on the sideline that had a totally different angle and did not see it the same way that we did. We are doing our best so that the kids can play the game. That is right I said the kids. That is the reason we are there and the game could not be played without us. Yes we miss calls, and we make bad calls, and we live with the calls that we made. That ref that comes running from 50 yards away to tell me that the ball hit the ground, he had a different angle than I did and I thank him for pulling me off that call so that team does not get some cheap yardage that they did not earn. No I was not at your game last night, but whoever the guys were that called your game they did it for the kids, and if they messed up a call, it was not on purpose it was a human being making a mistake. I will be happy to let you have my striped shirt and my yellow flag and my rule book, and I will go sit in the stands and watch you. I guarantee next week I could find a reason to get on here and complain about something you did that I did not like. But that will never happen because if you did put on the stripes and you did get out on that field you would understand why things happen the way they do. So we will keep calling the game and making judgement calls and hopefully your team wins so I don't have to listen to the reason your team lost was because of the officials. You see we have been there and heard it time and time again. Guess somebody has to be blamed for the loss!

If a team is not good enough to overcome a bad call made by an official, that team was probably not going to win in the first place!     

[/quote]
[b]APPARENTLY U AINT BEEN TO A LIV GAME AT HOME  ;) BUT LIKE THE PEP TALK AND I HOPE YOU CONVINCED SOMEBODY  ;)[/b][/quote]

RIGHT! Reba wasn't as annoying as the refs lol

[quote name="ECbucs#1!" post="1300825" timestamp="1350269218"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=104628.msg1299624#msg1299624 date=1350152006]
EC beat Newton the last 2 years and is still a playoff team. Can't compare them to Warren. No problem with the score last night from me.
[/quote]
Your right. But I wasn't comparing them to Warren. When Newton beat Warren you come out with a very strongly worded opinion how it was poor sportsmanship to do that and blamed the coach. When EC beat Warren by scoring a lot more points and winning by a larger amount than Newton did, you were a no show on the sportsmanship thing with regard to EC.
[/quote]
EC against warren had the same problem that y'all did last night.. the defense just kept getting big plays and once we got on offense their defense just couldn't stop us. We were in no way trying to run up the score on warren. The only thing that would be somewhat questionable about us running up the score no one mentioned from the game. Towards the end of the 1st half our sophomore kicker was instructed to kick a squib kick but he kicked it wrong and it came off as an onside kick. I believe we recovered it but we kneeled it. But we had no intention of running up the score..
[/quote]

I in no way meant to or tried to imply anything negative about the score between EC and Warren. I don't think EC or Newton are the types of teams or coaches that would do that sort of thing. My comments were because Jenks made accusations about it being an unsportsmanship thing for Newton and their coach to have beat Warren by the score they did. He is an EC supporter and then said nothing about EC score in the defeat of Warren. I do not think it had anything to do with sportsmanship, it was circumstance. And yes I think the EC-Newton game was the same thing.

I love it when the refs huddle together.... it mean they are tring to get the call right, taking from what everyone seen....
I can't stand it when they dont huddle...
I was at a game a couple of weeks ago and the ref call ineligable man down field and the pass was thrown behind the line of scrimage..(a screen) 3 of the 4 refs said that it did not matter if the pass was behind the line of scrimage, lineman cant go more than 2 yards down field.... which is not true in high school football....
they did not huddle and one ref refused to huddle that knew the correct call...

Refs have a hard job and they are the most important people on the field.... without them, we could not play the wonderful game that we love.  they are going to miss calls... it happens.... 5 watching 22 with coaches right in their ear... they do not have private agendas in their play calling....you may not like their call..... just except it... and be happy these people are taking the time and effort to make a difference... If you want to make that difference then join their organization.... I know they need the help...

I truly believe that the constant blaming of coaches and officials has made it harder for kids to be coachable and to accept responsibility when they maybe don't play so well. You talk to people that didn't even start in high school that talk about trying to get a scholarship but the coaches wouldn't help him. People are delusional when it comes to self evaluation. Todays society for the most part always has a finger to point all the blame at, when most of the time the blame is usually of the one doing the pointing. If you do it then your kid does it and neither one of you know what you are talking about. JUST SHUT UP AND PLAY, OR SHUT UP AND CHEER.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1301023" timestamp="1350313720"]
[quote author=ECbucs#1! link=topic=104628.msg1300825#msg1300825 date=1350269218]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=104628.msg1299624#msg1299624 date=1350152006]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

I in no way meant to or tried to imply anything negative about the score between EC and Warren. I don't think EC or Newton are the types of teams or coaches that would do that sort of thing. My comments were because Jenks made accusations about it being an unsportsmanship thing for Newton and their coach to have beat Warren by the score they did. He is an EC supporter and then said nothing about EC score in the defeat of Warren. I do not think it had anything to do with sportsmanship, it was circumstance. And yes I think the EC-Newton game was the same thing.
[/quote]
I actually dont think he is an EC supporter. I know when we played HF he went for hf so i guessed he was an hf supporter but i could be wrong.

[quote name="jenks" post="1300888" timestamp="1350282973"]
[quote author=TheRef link=topic=104628.msg1300199#msg1300199 date=1350188606]

[/quote]
I agree with everything you said. My issue is if every Ref acknowledges they did not see a fumble, why would you give the ball to the other team just because a defender comes out of a pile with a ball. The player that lost the ball did not even realize his possession was even a question and let loose of the ball in the pile.  Mistakes are made when a ref sees a call. Julius Jones scored a touchdown today on the Cowboys game, but was not called a touchdown until instant replay and the ref saw the whole thing. I especially know the job is hard. I was a baseball umpire for years, so I understand. If I did not see a play I was not going to make a call on it.  If I were a referee, which I might sign up for, I would be the one that would let the kids play and limit my calls as much as possible. Its never going to be perfect.
[/quote]

Well come on down, Monday Nights at the IBEW hall in Beaumont Texas be glad to have you!

The thing that has to be understood here is that there are certain times that NOT MAKING A CALL is not an option. If a pass is thrown and "presumably" intercepted than a call has to be made. They can't just blow the whistle and immediately huddle up, that would cause an even bigger stink. How would you feel if there was a close play at first base and after watching it the first base umpire makes no call and immediately jogs to home plate to talk it over? You would be infuriated. Umpires use EVERYTHING they see, including physical context clues, to make the best call they can. If one of their partners got a better look at it then he can help him out. We are all guilty of getting on officials about bad calls, myself included, but 99% of them are not out there in malice. And I agree with the Barbay quote, if the officials keep you from winning theres a pretty good chance you wouldn't have won anyway.

[quote name="UKCats" post="1301945" timestamp="1350408020"]
The thing that has to be understood here is that there are certain times that NOT MAKING A CALL is not an option. If a pass is thrown and "presumably" intercepted than a call has to be made. They can't just blow the whistle and immediately huddle up, that would cause an even bigger stink. How would you feel if there was a close play at first base and after watching it the first base umpire makes no call and immediately jogs to home plate to talk it over? You would be infuriated. Umpires use EVERYTHING they see, including physical context clues, to make the best call they can. If one of their partners got a better look at it then he can help him out. We are all guilty of getting on officials about bad calls, myself included, but 99% of them are not out there in malice. And I agree with the Barbay quote, if the officials keep you from winning theres a pretty good chance you wouldn't have won anyway.
[/quote]
Are you sure about the Barbay quote, Remember the Packers vs. Seatle.

[quote name="ECbucs#1!" post="1301506" timestamp="1350348202"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=104628.msg1301023#msg1301023 date=1350313720]
[quote author=ECbucs#1! link=topic=104628.msg1300825#msg1300825 date=1350269218]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I actually dont think he is an EC supporter. I know when we played HF he went for hf so i guessed he was an hf supporter but i could be wrong.
[/quote]
Oh, ok. Thanks for getting me straight. :)

[quote name="jenks" post="1302081" timestamp="1350416498"]
[quote author=UKCats link=topic=104628.msg1301945#msg1301945 date=1350408020]
[/quote]
Are you sure about the Barbay quote, Remember the Packers vs. Seatle.
[/quote]

Yes I'm sure. Rogers was sacked 8 times and settled for field goals in the redzone twice and then missed a 2 point conversion. They obviously weren't as superior a team as they may have thought. 4 quarters of poor play made the game close and opened the door for seattles catch/interception to win the game. The call at the end of the game wasn't the determinant for the ENTIRE game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder