Refs

dustoff03

no this is not a thread about complaining about the officials.......

last night during pre-game they announced all of the training and what not that refs had to go through. what i want to know is, is there some sort of physical training requirement they must meet. some of our refs last night didn't look to be in the best of shape or health. just asking so don't read into it what isn't there.

I know this is a subject of Football Refs, however, I've been a Basketball Ref for 12 yrs and never had a physical fitness test to ref a Basketball game and that's as much running and movement as football, I'd think.  Never had to pass a physical fitness test to ref volleyball or softball either but not quite as much movement in those. Just from my experience. Never attempted the football field.

[quote name="hawkeye07" post="1288132" timestamp="1349120768"]
They evidently don't even have to take an eye exam.
[/quote]
lol,yeah, they don't see everything. and sometimes they see imaginary things. but, i was leaning more towards physical condition. like being able to keep up with the play.

[quote name="dustoff03" post="1288203" timestamp="1349123529"]
[quote author=hawkeye07 link=topic=103903.msg1288132#msg1288132 date=1349120768]
[/quote]
lol,yeah, they don't see everything. and sometimes they see imaginary things. but, i was leaning more towards physical condition. like being able to keep up with the play.
[/quote]Noticed on the Ned - Vidor replay that several of the refs were really hobbling around. Didnt look to be in very good physical shape......with that being said, its a thankless job and Im gratefull to have them. I wouldnt wanna do it.

[quote name="outanup" post="1288225" timestamp="1349124664"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=103903.msg1288203#msg1288203 date=1349123529]
[quote author=hawkeye07 link=topic=103903.msg1288132#msg1288132 date=1349120768]
[/quote]
[/quote]Noticed on the Ned - Vidor replay that several of the refs were really hobbling around. Didnt look to be in very good physical shape......with that being said, its a thankless job and Im gratefull to have them. I wouldnt wanna do it.
[/quote]

yeah we wouldn't wanna get stuck with replacement refs....i do wonder sometimes though if they shouldn't just have officiating towers on each sideline, seems like you can see more of whats going on up there. maybe they should be allowed to use segways to motor about the field, and hey i'm not making fun, i could use one myself sometimes!!

[quote name="outanup" post="1288225" timestamp="1349124664"]
[quote author=dustoff03 link=topic=103903.msg1288203#msg1288203 date=1349123529]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Hey, I resemble that remark! LOL. I can tell you of the 5 in Vidor because I was one (umpire). I have packed on a few lbs this summer due to personal things I'd rather not go into but I still run 2 miles a day when I don't have games or training meetings, not fast mind you but I'm out there. The guy in the white hat is running bone on bone in his knee. He is gutting it out for us and having it replaced as soon as the season is over. The other 3 which are the ones with goal line to goal line responsibilty can run like deer. I assure you it's a non factor. Now eye sight........LOL.. and no I won't discuss anything to do with the game...just sayin

[quote name="hawkeye07" post="1288132" timestamp="1349120768"]
[/quote]LOL ;D that's funny. Reminds me of 2 refs from last year I saw during basketball season who move like they had just checked out of the nursing home.

Guest ECBucFan
Try calling a softball game behind the plate. You can't run down field away from the yelling and cussing. And what ever you call is automatically "wrong" to 50% of the fans. ::)  At least in football you are separated by substantial distance (a fence, then a walkway, a track, team sideline, and field yardage). 

Strongly agree with Teeboan. I am on Teeboan's Friday night crew and I would like to say that we as a crew were evaluated this past Friday night by a very respectable person that is affiliated with NCAA and NFL. He gave us a B+ overall grade, which as a crew we are proud of. I know this post was not meant to bash officials but we strive to our best for the players and coaches. We know everytime we hit the field that the coach's job is on the line. As far as a physical test, we try to stay in shape to keep up with the speed of the game. As far as me, my Line Judge, and Back Judge we have not been beaten to goal line yet this year. "Knock on Wood". I would to invite anyone who is not an official to join our chapter for one year and try it out if you like Football as a sport. It is fun, fast pace, exciting, etc. but please don't do it for for the money because it is not there.  Remember we do this as a hobby and for the love of the game.

[quote name="ManCub" post="1288797" timestamp="1349192354"]
Strongly agree with Teeboan. I am on Teeboan's Friday night crew and I would like to say that we as a crew were evaluated this past Friday night by a very respectable person that is affiliated with NCAA and NFL. He gave us a B+ overall grade, which as a crew we are proud of. I know this post was not meant to bash officials but we strive to our best for the players and coaches. We know everytime we hit the field that the coach's job is on the line. As far as a physical test, we try to stay in shape to keep up with the speed of the game. As far as me, my Line Judge, and Back Judge we have not been beaten to goal line yet this year. "Knock on Wood". I would to invite anyone who is not an official to join our chapter for one year and try it out if you like Football as a sport. It is fun, fast pace, exciting, etc. but please don't do it for for the money because it is not there.  Remember we do this as a hobby and for the love of the game.
[/quote]

Good post ManCub.I keep forgetting that you guys are people too.

like i said at the beginning, i didn't start this thread to critisize the refs. and it wasn't directed at anyone inparticular. i know these guys don't have to be out there and their efforts are greatly appreciated. i was just really curious if their was any physical standards they had to meet and required conditioning to go through.

[quote name="TheRef" post="1289376" timestamp="1349231839"]
Teeboan is one of the best! As for me a back judge, [b]if you think you can run faster and are in better shape, come on down![/b]
[/quote]
not where i was going with this thread. just wondering about the requirements. i was asked by a non poster and figured this would be a good place to get an answer.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin