Question about south Texas deer hunting.

tvc184

Anyone have any experience around the Uvalde/Eagle Pass area or any of the south Texas brush country?

I have a bowhunting trip there in about three weeks and have no clue how to hunt the area. I have had a couple of small tips from friends that knew a friend that had a buddy who had a cousin that hunted there but that is about it. From what I have seen, it is fairly flat area of the brush country with a lot of mesquite with senderos cut through a lot of the thick areas.

I will start hunting at Noon on a Tuesday and won't have to leave until Noon on Friday so I will have time to look around and do a little scouting. I will have about 300 acres or so to hunt on. Is it better to hunt the senderos or get off of them an into some thicker stuff around trails. I have heard that both methods work but not from anyone that has actually hunted the area. I know that if I hunt a sendero I will probably see a lot more deer, probably all day long. Since I will be bowhunting only, I don't really care to see 50 deer 150 yards away. I just want one P&Y about 15 yards (or closer).

The ranch is bowhunting only and I know that they corn the senderos once a day. I am sure that it brings a lot of deer out to eat but I am wondering if the big ones get out into the openings like that.

I have a lot of experience gun and bow hunting but only in the Piney Woods. I have a funny feeling that it will be a different experience with a bow in the south Texas brush country.

Hello TVC

I have hunted in the Del Rio area many times.

I would think the two places are close the way the terrain is.

The deer do come to the corn even the big ones.

If they are a bowhunting only ranch. they probably already feed near a bow stand. you should get plenty action. But your buddy should know how the deer act there better than most if he hunts there often. As I think I remember you saying in a earlier post.

Just be patient. If there are 130 to 140 class bucks there and the ranch hands say there are still some in the area where you are hunting and they should know. dont shoot a 120 to early you may be dissapointed. the big ones will come out. Good Luck.

Hello TVC

I have hunted in the Del Rio area many times.

I would think the two places are close the way the terrain is.

The deer do come to the corn even the big ones.

If they are a bowhunting only ranch. they probably already feed near a bow stand. you should get plenty action. But your buddy should know how the deer act there better than most if he hunts there often. As I think I remember you saying in a earlier post.

Just be patient. If there are 130 to 140 class bucks there and the ranch hands say there are still some in the area where you are hunting and they should know. dont shoot a 120 to early you may be dissapointed. the big ones will come out. Good Luck.

They don't have stands. They just give you a tract of land to hunt as you see fit. They corn the senderos and there is a rule against hunting within 100 yards of a feeder or water tank so I am assuming that they have both.

So you think hunting the lanes would be okay for a trophy. Actually I don't doubt that I will see a couple the way the place is described but I can imagine that I will see one or two in gun range that will not even be close to bow range. I was reading an article by a writer from Bowhunting North America that hunted the ranch and he had about a 120 class 2 1/2 year old (good looking deer but not a shooter) within a few yards and his partner saw about a 130 class 8 point about 200 yards down the sendero. I might be willing to take that shot with a rifle but it is hardly within my bow range.... by about 185 yards.

The guy that has hunted it successfully is the friend of a friend so most of what we know from him is not in detail. He will be back in town in a week or so and we plan to question him till he gets sick of us. He has hunted the place for 4 years now so he should have a pretty good idea how to hunt it. Any experience that I can gather from other hunters would be helpful however.

Wow! I have never hunted a place where you could not hunt the feeders or established stands. It sounds like you would have to start by scouting for the first day, just to see where they are coming to the corned sendero from, and start there. Its going to be tough from the ground. It would be easier from 15 feet or so up to be able to see over the brush. This also sounds like a place where it could take a couple of hunts in that area to figure it all out. But I would definitely start where they are corning the senderos. And work closer towards where they are coming from each hunt. because they will come from the same area each morning. And the same area each evening. And that could be, and more than likely will be, two different routes. But I would deffinitely drill your buddies buddy. because he is going to have good info that you will need. that could narrow down where you start from.

PS. Watch out for snakes. I killed a monster last year about 6-1/2 footer. And a head almost the size of my fist. I almost walked right on him It was late in the evening. and I could not see him until I was on top of him. Believe me they do come out in the winter on warm sunny days. I have a tail with 11 rattles on it too prove it in my trophy room.

It is interesting that you mentioned rattlesnakes. I was looking at a Texas Parks and Wildlife video yesterday on the internet on the Texas brush country. I figured that I needed to learn as much as possible about the area. One of the things that they showed (and I had not thought of) was rattlesnakes in the area.... along with scorpions and other assorted critters.

This is the hidden content, please

I see you got the rattles. What did he taste like?

It is interesting that you mentioned rattlesnakes. I was looking at a Texas Parks and Wildlife video yesterday on the internet on the Texas brush country. I figured that I needed to learn as much as possible about the area. One of the things that they showed (and I had not thought of) was rattlesnakes in the area.... along with scorpions and other assorted critters.

This is the hidden content, please

I see you got the rattles. What did he taste like?

;D ;D ;D  No! No!  ;D I draw the line at that. I didnt even like touching that thing. muchless eating it. Huh Noooway!

I had a friend hunt in south Texas probably about 25 years ago. He had killed a large rattler and brought back a few pounds of the meat. I went to his house right after he got back and asked him about the taste of the snake since I knew that he brought back the meat. He said that they were waiting for me to be the guinea pig.

So they battered and fried up a few pieces and I ate it. Then they fried the rest and we all say there and ate it. Good stuff. Tastes like chicken.........

8) Well If it tastes like chicken. I'll just stay with eating chicken. ;D ;D ;D

pssst. hey TVC.  Don't tell nobody, but I'm scared to death of snakes.

;D ;D

Snakes don't bother me. That is, as long as I am not within striking range. If I see any snake several feet before I get to it then I don't care. The only problem I have with them is walking up to one unseen. The thought of poison being injected into me is not a thrilling idea but other than that, bring 'em on. Give me a stick and I will walk up and bop one on the head.. then eat him.

;D Hey Coop!  what do you think about skinning and eating a snake! ;D

It might be a bit cool when I get down there but I might find one to kill. If y'all want, I can bring it back and we can get together and fry it up. I also found a great recipe for stuffed rattler.

Anyone have any experience around the Uvalde/Eagle Pass area or any of the south Texas brush country?

TVC184 - I just spent a week in Eagle Pass and I am heading back down there on Thursday - rut is in full swing right now.

Where exactly is the ranch? Will you be hunting closer to Eagle Pass or Uvalde?  I am asking because the terrain is differnet - FM481 goes from Eagle Pass to Uvalde and the land changes quite a bit.  Eagle Pass will be a little flatter with lower brush and Uvalde will be a little more hills with bigger mesquite.

Will you be in a tripod or on the ground?  If your closer to Eagle Pass, I would suggest a shorter tripod (6') or on the ground because unless you are in a creek area the brush will be low and in a standard tripod you will stand out like a sore thumb.

Most important - CORN!!!  Find a few spots you like and corn heavy - dont be afraid to over do it with the corn.  This year has been very dry down there and the deer are really coming to the corn good.  If they are corning senderos then I would stay close to that area.

Be patient and don't shoot the first nice deer you see!

Good luck from "the know it all" :)

Where exactly is the ranch? Will you be hunting closer to Eagle Pass or Uvalde?  I am asking because the terrain is differnet - FM481 goes from Eagle Pass to Uvalde and the land changes quite a bit.  Eagle Pass will be a little flatter with lower brush and Uvalde will be a little more hills with bigger mesquite.

It is at First Point Ranch. The exit to the ranch is on FM 481 and is 29 miles south of Uvalde and 26 miles north of Eagle Pass or 15 miles north of the intersection of 481 and US 57.

Will you be in a tripod or on the ground?  If your closer to Eagle Pass, I would suggest a shorter tripod (6') or on the ground because unless you are in a creek area the brush will be low and in a standard tripod you will stand out like a sore thumb.

More than likely a ground blind or a popup. I have a good popup if I can cover it up enough.

Most important - CORN!!!  Find a few spots you like and corn heavy - dont be afraid to over do it with the corn.  This year has been very dry down there and the deer are really coming to the corn good.  If they are corning senderos then I would stay close to that area.

Be patient and don't shoot the first nice deer you see!

Good luck from "the know it all" :)

I hope that I get the chance to choose. There is no kill fee as long as I kill one at least 3 1/2 years old.

You will be in a very good area.  I am not familiar with The First Point Ranch but I know of several others right there (probably within 20 miles of the Cobb, Paloma, Sanger, Picosa, Coots- Mathews, etc.).  You will probably be in Maverick County (possibly Zavala) definetly hunting South Texas deer (not Hill country).  My lease is about 3 miles south of the Fm 481 intersection on HWY 57.

• 2 weeks later...

How long till you leave TVC?  Are you packed yet?  One of my buddies killed a 160 this past weekend just west of where you will be.

We leave this coming Sunday morning and check in at Noon on Monday. Some of the forecast sites show snow for the first two morning hunts. I am hoping that they update the forecast and the snow/sleet moves out early. No matter if it snows or not, it is sure going to be cold.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder