SETX Mentality infestation

UNLV

I honestly see where UNLV is coming from to an extent. Let's take UTSA for example.

UTSA punched New Mexico State in the face 35-14 today and are 5-0.

-UTSA appeals to the community, Lamar doesn't.

-UTSA knew from the start that they were going to play FBS football, Lamar designed itself for FCS.

-UTSA is looking nowhere but up. Lamar is content with staying put.

-UTSA is easily outrecruiting Lamar.

UTSA started playing football a year after Lamar and I can bet that they would blow out the Cardinals. At the same time however, if Lamar isn't prepared for FBS, then there is no point of moving up.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOS95" post="1286816" timestamp="1348968677"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=103497.msg1286787#msg1286787 date=1348966860]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=103497.msg1286395#msg1286395 date=1348942752]
just a question, UNLV...have [u][b]YOU[/b][/u] been going to Lamar games?
[/quote]I make some games in football and MBB.
[/quote]

u only make some football games? i make all the football games...win or lose..no matter who were playing...some "fan" u are...
[/quote]Too bad more of the population is not like you. However Lamar does very little to entice the population. 

[quote name="wbfan" post="1286972" timestamp="1348976552"]
I honestly see where UNLV is coming from to an extent. Let's take UTSA for example.

-UTSA knew from the start that they were going to play FBS football, Lamar designed itself for FCS.

UTSA started playing football a year after Lamar and I can bet that they would blow out the Cardinals. At the same time however, if Lamar isn't prepared for FBS, then there is no point of moving up.
[/quote]

UTSA's 5 opponents have a total of 2 wins..I dont see them winning another game this year....not saying LU doesnt stink ..just pointing that out

also, i think LU is doing a good job in trying to get people to the stadium..promos, kid friendly, family friendly....

i think one [b]major[/b] point UNLV is missing in his analysis of setex mentality...and the one i have the biggest problem with...ITS OUR HOMETOWN COLLEGE! support it! [b]take off those 30 yr old letter jackets , those walmart maroon / orange Tshirts [/b] ..heck...i doubt most of the LU bashers have never even been to anything at LU

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1287084" timestamp="1348984960"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=103497.msg1286972#msg1286972 date=1348976552]

[/quote]

UTSA's 5 opponents have a total of 2 wins..I dont see them winning another game this year....not saying LU doesnt stink ..just pointing that out

also, i think LU is doing a good job in trying to get people to the stadium..promos, kid friendly, family friendly....

i think one [b]major[/b] point UNLV is missing in his analysis of setex mentality...and the one i have the biggest problem with...ITS OUR HOMETOWN COLLEGE! support it! [b]take off those 30 yr old letter jackets , those walmart maroon / orange Tshirts [/b] ..heck...i doubt most of the LU bashers have never even been to anything at LU
[/quote].  Good points.    My spouse who is a graduate of Texas A&M always wears a Lamar shirt to the games with me.  Those people that show up in other schools clothes are ridiculous.  Most of them are only the because they got free beer out in the parking lot from their employer's tailgating tent. 

[quote name="puddin tane" post="1287084" timestamp="1348984960"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have been critical of Lamar for years. I questioned bringing back football.I knew the people would go "nuts" for the program for the first 1-2 years and then, it would depend on the product. The product is awful. If we beat anyone other than McMurry, it''l be a miracle.
Say what you will, the coaching choice was poor. He had his chance, he has blown it. When Coach came out with the interview before the Hawaii game wearing the Hawaiian shirt, the music, the pseudo-drink, you knew they were not serious about the business of the game. It was just a vacation. I see no urgency, I see no improvement. If you're going to take for granted your fan base, we'll take you for granted. 
Can I be critical of Lamar? My Mother graduated from Lamar, my brother graduated from Lamar, my wife graduated from Lamar, my child graduated from Lamar, and I graduated from Lamar. Don't get me started on Lamar. Don't go down that trail....Even though Dr Simmons has done a good job in the last few years with the place, it still has "more problems than a run over dog."

[quote name="traditions" post="1287301" timestamp="1349033845"]
  Those people that show up in other schools clothes are ridiculous.  Most of them are only the because they got free beer out in the parking lot from their employer's tailgating tent.
[/quote]

Damn I didn't know people did that. UT, A&M, Tech, UH and TCU don't have this problem.  :(

Hell, I doubt SFA and Slam have this problem either.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="KDOSullivan" post="1287343" timestamp="1349038671"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=103497.msg1287084#msg1287084 date=1348984960]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have been critical of Lamar for years. I questioned bringing back football.I knew the people would go "nuts" for the program for the first 1-2 years and then, it would depend on the product. The product is awful. If we beat anyone other than McMurry, it''l be a miracle.
Say what you will, the coaching choice was poor. He had his chance, he has blown it. When Coach came out with the interview before the Hawaii game wearing the Hawaiian shirt, the music, the pseudo-drink, you knew they were not serious about the business of the game. It was just a vacation. I see no urgency, I see no improvement. If you're going to take for granted your fan base, we'll take you for granted. 
Can I be critical of Lamar? My Mother graduated from Lamar, my brother graduated from Lamar, my wife graduated from Lamar, my child graduated from Lamar, and I graduated from Lamar. Don't get me started on Lamar. Don't go down that trail....Even though Dr Simmons has done a good job in the last few years with the place, it still has "more problems than a run over dog."
[/quote]

As a Lamar graduate, in which class did you pick up that catchy little ending phrase? ;D

[quote name="wbfan" post="1287377" timestamp="1349042320"]
[quote author=traditions link=topic=103497.msg1287301#msg1287301 date=1349033845]
  Those people that show up in other schools clothes are ridiculous.  Most of them are only the because they got free beer out in the parking lot from their employer's tailgating tent.
[/quote]

Damn I didn't know people did that. UT, A&M, Tech, UH and TCU don't have this problem.  :(

[/quote]Makes sense to me. It is part of the SETX mentality. We have nothing here because everyone living here is looking out. We can't have airline service, let Houston do it for us. We can't have a river walk, go to kemah. We can't have live concerts, go to Chuck. No surprise at the shirts.

Before anyone point out my user name, I use a different name on different boards. This is the only time I ever used a school name. It just popped in my head when registering.

[quote name="Tigersvoice" post="1287430" timestamp="1349046456"]
[quote author=KDOSullivan link=topic=103497.msg1287343#msg1287343 date=1349038671]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=103497.msg1287084#msg1287084 date=1348984960]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As a Lamar graduate, in which class did you pick up that catchy little ending phrase? ;D
[/quote]

Sorry, I taught in a AA school too long.  ;D

[quote name="UNLV" post="1287643" timestamp="1349063651"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=103497.msg1287377#msg1287377 date=1349042320]
[quote author=traditions link=topic=103497.msg1287301#msg1287301 date=1349033845]
[/quote]

[/quote]Makes sense to me. It is part of the SETX mentality. We have nothing here because everyone living here is looking out. We can't have airline service, let Houston do it for us. We can't have a river walk, go to kemah. We can't have live concerts, go to Chuck. No surprise at the shirts.

Before anyone point out my user name, I use a different name on different boards. This is the only time I ever used a school name. It just popped in my head when registering.
[/quote]

actually..i'm talking bout the tshirt fans who dont support Lamar..and the 50 year old high schoolers who can support only friday nite football and talk about their glory days...

[quote name="wbfan" post="1288307" timestamp="1349132727"]
Wow, people rather see the UT game live than a Lamar road game live. They went as far as complaining to the station an now the station will show the Horns live and LU will be tape delayed.

Lamar really has its work cut out.
[/quote]

simple really, Reaud wants it more than Morgan or Umphrey

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="puddin tane" post="1288848" timestamp="1349196611"]
[quote author=wbfan link=topic=103497.msg1288307#msg1288307 date=1349132727]
Wow, people rather see the UT game live than a Lamar road game live. They went as far as complaining to the station an now the station will show the Horns live and LU will be tape delayed.

Lamar really has its work cut out.
[/quote]

simple really, Reaud wants it more than Morgan or Umphrey
[/quote]

You'll regret this post/comment - and it won't be long until you see why. :-X

I think this was the smart thing to do.  Showing the Lamar game over UT/WVU probably would have pissed more people off at Lamar football than actually promoting the football program.  Aren't there some alternate digital channels they can show the Lamar game on live?  This is 2012 for chrissakes, there's many ways to broadcast football games.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder