56 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???????????

• Dayton
    • Crosby

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider the source.  I mean really, consider the source.  They can't see past WHY 90 and HWY 146.  They are the WOS of the swamps....... "We are going to State........"  Are you saying that BH will go to state this year? Did BH bye tickets for the team already? lol

Until Dayton's defense can stop the pass on a CONSISTENT basis then I'll become a believer in the system.  I believe once they face SC's stud QB and receivers then we'll get a better idea of what they can do.  Dayton's defense has yet to be tested.  For the record, the best defense I've seen is the Jakari Pearson and Bowers (Sp?) team the year they played La Marque in the dome.  I think that team was built better for a state title, big hit you in the mouth team.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1275801" timestamp="1348059758"]
OK, I'm a little more nervous now. Just talked to my co-worker, a Dayton fan for decades, about an hour ago and he told me if they had any qb play it could potentially be Dayton's best team ever. He said the kids are bigger than the state finalist team but lacking a passing game. Chambers had an ankle sprain and was limping at the Livingston game so he didn't play against New Caney. Said he's not a natural a qb and has a kind of side arm delivery but the two back-ups aren't any better. Said he doesn't like contact either. I hear they have 3 McBride's and the sophomore is supposed to be the best one. He also told me if anyone from Elkins could catch Dayton would have lost the game. He said the defense is good but he's seen one or two better, and that this one would be better next year. I respect his opinion more than any other Bronco fan(atic) up here but what do y'all think about that?
[/quote]
Pretty much spot on.

[quote name="7mary3" post="1275892" timestamp="1348067644"]
Until Dayton's defense can stop the pass on a CONSISTENT basis then I'll become a believer in the system.  I believe once they face SC's stud QB and receivers then we'll get a better idea of what they can do.  Dayton's defense has yet to be tested.  For the record, the best defense I've seen is the Jakari Pearson and Bowers (Sp?) team the year they played La Marque in the dome.  I think that team was built better for a state title, big hit you in the mouth team.
[/quote]
Started with a D (Dekauri SP??)...Gene Tennison and Mike Mabry were on that team as well right?

[quote name="7mary3" post="1275892" timestamp="1348067644"]
[/quote]
If i had to pick the best Dayton defense it would have been the year we got beat by Bay City in the playoffs.  Cant remember the year.  We beat Bay City everywhere but the scoreboard.  They had probably less than 50 yards of offense on us and we still lost.  That defense that year would kick your A##.

[quote name="rollinac" post="1275904" timestamp="1348068347"]
[quote author=7mary3 link=topic=103214.msg1275892#msg1275892 date=1348067644]
[/quote]
Started with a D (Dekauri SP??)...Gene Tennison and Mike Mabry were on that team as well right?
[/quote]

Yeahp, you are correct sir...guess my old age is setting in.  Remember the team and a few of the guys on it and they were definetely big bruisers.

Nobody will know if this is one of daytons better defenses until later in the year. I mean they have only played 3 games give them a chance. I will say this right now is a really good d. Also chambers will be fine he hasnt had either mcbride in the backfield since the first half of elkins. He has also been a little dinged up. Give him a few games with the talent he has around him and see what happens.

[quote name="Old Bronco" post="1275908" timestamp="1348068941"]
[/quote]
If i had to pick the best Dayton defense it would have been the year we got beat by Bay City in the playoffs.  Cant remember the year.  We beat Bay City everywhere but the scoreboard.  They had probably less than 50 yards of offense on us and we still lost.  That defense that year would kick your A##.
[/quote]
Along with the team I mentioned and that team by far top 2 best ever...not to take anything away from the current kids but it kind of gives them a model to go by and I would definetely get the current kids to watch old tapes of them two teams.

This Dayton team I saw will improve on both sides from week to week, with the defense being ahead of the offense, but not far behind. Their run defense is without a doubt very good but the pass defense may need to be tested in order to become a better defense. The offense just needed to heal and have time to play together more. People are going to have to just deal with the fact that Dayton will have to be dealt with for the next 3 or 4 years, their program is just that good. I'm not hating, I wish our program had such a bright future as theirs, that's what every team's goal ought to be.   

[/quote]
Started with a D (Dekauri SP??)...[b]Gene Tennison and Mike Mabry[/b] were on that team as well right?
[/quote]

no... they had just graduated in may of '98. Dakari and Co. were c/o '99.

[/quote]
[/quote]

The team you're thinking of (the team that lost to eventual state champ LaMarque) was the fall season of '98 with Dakarai Pearson, Keithon Edwards and Wilfred Bowers in the backfield...they had a lot of studs on that team, barely lost to LM 20-14 in the Astrodome

anyway...Gene and Mabry graduated the year before, so they weren't on that team.

[quote name="cougar14" post="1275615" timestamp="1348019816"]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=103214.msg1275548#msg1275548 date=1348014053]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=103214.msg1275090#msg1275090 date=1347982123]
He wasn't good enough to get on the field at either, unless you expected him to beat out Cam Newton. Garrett Gilbert was the Gatorade National Player of the year, Mel Kiper said the would be the first pick in the draft in 3 years. My cousin Barrett Matthews played at North Shore, was a first team all-america is now at Texas. Before the 2011 season they said he would be they key to the offense for Texas that year and he only scored once that year I think. My other cousin Christian Matthews was a dual threat qb ranked similiar to Rollison and ended up going to Kansas. They touted him as the next Todd Reesing, now he plays receiver. Being highly touted means nothing until you produce. If I'm not mistaken Rhett Bhomar (OU transfer) was the qb when Rollison went there, so yeah he couldn't beat him out either. That first game against Ned was the first time Aston had ever called or ran those plays in a game situation. He and the rest of the offense has progressed every game. If Austin could play 16 games like the Young kid did I think 3000 yards would be totally achievable, but I was talking about the fact that Walter coud have 1000 yards after the Creek game already. If Riordan's qb from last year would have played 16 games he would have been around 4000 yards passing, and that's with no running game to speak of. The man can make his system work with whoever is my point. I am new, so next year when Crosby brings back 8 of the current 11 starters on offense you might be hearing the same [b]old[/b] story.
[/quote]

I was just gonna leave your bs alone, but you're in my wheelhouse now.  Nobody and I mean nobody touted barrett matthews as the key to the longhorns season.  His own momma wouldn't have said that.  He looked good in shorts that's about it.    Then when he got on the field everybody saw that he couldn't catch.  Now he's been relegated to blocking TE.  Your other cousin was a dual threat, but they were to touting him as the next todd reesing??? Do you see how that makes no sense?  Cam Newton and Rollison weren't on the same team.  Rollison 2009 Newton 2010.  Bomar's last season at Sam was 2008 when rollison was in high school.  So get your facts straight son.
[/quote] http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418189-barrett-matthews-the-key-to-the-longhorn-offense-in-2011
Wasn't referencing it because it was a good thing, simply to state he didn't produce even after playing as a true freshman. They saw him everyday and still enough of him to write the article.He's still a 4 year letterman, just not Vernon Davis type product they thought had after dominating the high school ranks at North Shore. He was a product of David Aymond's system but when he got to Texas they found out he had a lot of holes in his game, now he's a blocking TE like you said. In 2009, Rollison's freshman year, Chris Todd was Auburn's starting qb and first team All-SEC. Cam Newton came right after. Wasn't 100% on Rhett Bohmar, that's why I said "if I'm not mistaken." In my newbie opinion Rollison would have never seen the field at Auburn besides mop up duty, probably could have at Sam but didn't. I doubt he could beat out Kiehl Frazier now either. Kansas had won the Orange Bowl with Todd Reesing running a spread-zone attack, Christian told me Mangino thought he could be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Reesing. Since that's what Bowie ran that's where he went over Michigan and Louisville. I was saying those things to show you can definitely be a product of a system and even had some close examples. Heck, I hope my 3 sons a 2 nephews get to play in Riordan's system. Is that straight enough for you? I like the fact that's it's a lot easier to argue with you than people that read.       
[/quote]

Well you just linked a bleacher report article which  makes the liberty vindicator look like elite level journalism.  There's more holes in that article than I care to expound upon.  I'll change my statement.  Nobody with any knowledge of UT football thought Barrett Matthews was the key to the longhorns season.  Maybe you and I have a different definition of "dominating the high school ranks" but 19 catches for 364 yards his senior season sounds pretty pedestrian.  Chris Todd has nothing to do with Cam Newton and Tyrik Rollison.  Not sure where you're going there.  So nobody was touting the other matthews as the next todd reesing, you were just repeating what your cousin told you, that mangino told him on a recruiting trip?  Ok.  Good talk,Russ!

Guest hardin01
Do you know what a FIELD GOAL is called in Dayton?

You guess it, "Carranco".

More than a field goal, the leg of Juan Carranco will be the tale/tale sign as to what kept the Cougars "just out of sync" all night, as field position, and special teams, determines the direction of the game.

Huge momentum gains, on pinning the Cougards deep. Long drives, that must start at the 25, every series.
Field goals, when the Cougars do hold the Broncos, somewhat.

This is a game that can be close, but I see it to be a 2 touchdowner.

Broncos 41

Crosby 28

Take it to the bank!

[quote name="Mike Latorice" post="1276337" timestamp="1348103076"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=103214.msg1275615#msg1275615 date=1348019816]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=103214.msg1275548#msg1275548 date=1348014053]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=103214.msg1275090#msg1275090 date=1347982123]
He wasn't good enough to get on the field at either, unless you expected him to beat out Cam Newton. Garrett Gilbert was the Gatorade National Player of the year, Mel Kiper said the would be the first pick in the draft in 3 years. My cousin Barrett Matthews played at North Shore, was a first team all-america is now at Texas. Before the 2011 season they said he would be they key to the offense for Texas that year and he only scored once that year I think. My other cousin Christian Matthews was a dual threat qb ranked similiar to Rollison and ended up going to Kansas. They touted him as the next Todd Reesing, now he plays receiver. Being highly touted means nothing until you produce. If I'm not mistaken Rhett Bhomar (OU transfer) was the qb when Rollison went there, so yeah he couldn't beat him out either. That first game against Ned was the first time Aston had ever called or ran those plays in a game situation. He and the rest of the offense has progressed every game. If Austin could play 16 games like the Young kid did I think 3000 yards would be totally achievable, but I was talking about the fact that Walter coud have 1000 yards after the Creek game already. If Riordan's qb from last year would have played 16 games he would have been around 4000 yards passing, and that's[quote][/quote] with no running game to speak of. The man can make his system work with whoever is my point. I am new, so next year when Crosby brings back 8 of the current 11 starters on offense you might be hearing the same [b]old[/b] story.
[/quote]

I was just gonna leave your bs alone, but you're in my wheelhouse now.  Nobody and I mean nobody touted barrett matthews as the key to the longhorns season.  His own momma wouldn't have said that.  He looked good in shorts that's about it.    Then when he got on the field everybody saw that he couldn't catch.  Now he's been relegated to blocking TE.  Your other cousin was a dual threat, but they were to touting him as the next todd reesing??? Do you see how that makes no sense?  Cam Newton and Rollison weren't on the same team.  Rollison 2009 Newton 2010.  Bomar's last season at Sam was 2008 when rollison was in high school.  So get your facts straight son.
[/quote] http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418189-barrett-matthews-the-key-to-the-longhorn-offense-in-2011
Wasn't referencing it because it was a good thing, simply to state he didn't produce even after playing as a true freshman. They saw him everyday and still enough of him to write the article.He's still a 4 year letterman, just not Vernon Davis type product they thought had after dominating the high school ranks at North Shore. He was a product of David Aymond's system but when he got to Texas they found out he had a lot of holes in his game, now he's a blocking TE like you said. In 2009, Rollison's freshman year, Chris Todd was Auburn's starting qb and first team All-SEC. Cam Newton came right after. Wasn't 100% on Rhett Bohmar, that's why I said "if I'm not mistaken." In my newbie opinion Rollison would have never seen the field at Auburn besides mop up duty, probably could have at Sam but didn't. I doubt he could beat out Kiehl Frazier now either. Kansas had won the Orange Bowl with Todd Reesing running a spread-zone attack, Christian told me Mangino thought he could be a bigger, stronger, faster version of Reesing. Since that's what Bowie ran that's where he went over Michigan and Louisville. I was saying those things to show you can definitely be a product of a system and even had some close examples. Heck, I hope my 3 sons a 2 nephews get to play in Riordan's system. Is that straight enough for you? I like the fact that's it's a lot easier to argue with you than people that read.       
[/quote]

Well you just linked a bleacher report article which  makes the liberty vindicator look like elite level journalism.  There's more holes in that article than I care to expound upon.  I'll change my statement.  Nobody with any knowledge of UT football thought Barrett Matthews was the key to the longhorns season.  Maybe you and I have a different definition of "dominating the high school ranks" but 19 catches for 364 yards his senior season sounds pretty pedestrian.  Chris Todd has nothing to do with Cam Newton and Tyrik Rollison.  Not sure where you're going there.  [color=red]So nobody was touting the other matthews as the next todd reesing, you were just repeating what your cousin told you, that mangino told him on a recruiting trip?[/color]  Ok.  Good talk,Russ!
[/quote]

NOOOO....Mangino said "hand me the next Reese's", he was starving!

[quote name="hardin01" post="1276347" timestamp="1348104298"]
Do you know what a FIELD GOAL is called in Dayton?

You guess it, "Carranco".

More than a field goal, the leg of Juan Carranco will be the tale/tale sign as to what kept the Cougars "just out of sync" all night, as field position, and special teams, determines the direction of the game.

Huge momentum gains, on pinning the Cougards deep. Long drives, that must start at the 25, every series.
Field goals, when the Cougars do hold the Broncos, somewhat.

This is a game that can be close, but I see it to be a 2 touchdowner.

Broncos 41

Crosby 28

Take it to the bank!
[/quote] + 1 for you

I don't know many all-americans that don't dominate in high school. 19 per catch in a running offense is pretty dominant. NS ran a lot his way and many nights stood out as the most physical kids on the field. Ask a Westbrook fan. During the years Rollison would have been there Todd and Newton were the qbs. If he redshirted Frazier would have been there. And Mangino did say that but it was the common sentiment being echoed throughout Lawrence, the Michigan coaches thought higher of him than that. You sound like you used to be one of those guys that used to hand out gatorade and fresh towels at Bronco games 'cause he couldn't get any run. But hey, at least now you can say you know more about Texas football than the BR. . . . . And how many squirts it takes to get to the bottom of a gatorade bottle.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder