1. 1. Who wins???????????

• Dayton
    • Crosby

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="cougar14" post="1274330" timestamp="1347903697"]
I think I can argue a tad. Elkins got beat 48-15 by Lamar after y'all barely squeaked by them. The Willis, New Caney, Caney Creek thing is null and void because cause New Caney's only win is Caney Creek who just lost to Willis. We beat Willis by 50 in case you forgot. If Nederland, Willis, Barbers Hill was softer than Elkins, Livingston(winless), New Caney then I would be more worried than I am now. It's just hard for me to fathom Dayton [b]averaging 227 yards[/b] of offense a game but will explode on Crosby. Last year we outgained y'all with a much less potent offense and y'all had Hererra. I've seen Chambers passing numbers and they're similiar to Denny's(Hill). YOU WILL NOT LINE UP AND RUN THE BALL ON CROSBY WITH NO PASSING GAME TO KEEP US HONEST. My co-worker told me the kid from Elkins dropped two td passes or it would have been a different game. Along with the 250 a game we're averaging rushing we have some playmaking receivers. Defense is giving up 17 a game. Just like I said to the Barbers Hill fans, if Crosby doesn't turn the ball over it's going to be hard to keep us under 40. Going to be a good one either way though.
[/quote]

We really could've boosted that ypg some this past week. But, New Caney couldn't move the ball past the 35 or so on most possessions. Also, even if Livingston and Elkins aren't world-beaters, they aren't pushovers like New Caney and Willis and have prepared us for a tough, physical game... as did the scrimmage with Ned(whole or not).

Also, the same could be said of your passing attack keeping us honest. It's just barely more proven than ours. Also, Riordan had one of the best HS QB's to play in TX in recent years and a heck of a lot of other athletes. Crosby has good skill kids, but Rollison and Co. were a cut above until proven otherwise.

[quote name="mikehoncho" post="1272582" timestamp="1347730583"]
[quote author=Cap Rock Brewing Co. link=topic=103214.msg1272487#msg1272487 date=1347726796]
Crosby by 9.  Broncos would be really foolish to give the same-old Crosby beat down predictions. This has the makings of another good game. It took a 100 yd kickoff return to beat Crosby last year and then Crosby rolled down the field and nearly sent it to overtime -great play by Dayton cornerback to seal the win. Crosby had more yards last year and could've easily won the game.

[u][b]Offense[/b][/u]: Big edge to Crosby. The Coogs are averaging 200 more yards a game on offense and have played better opponents thus far.  The Coogs are averaging 35 points/contest. Dayton comes in at 31/game. Riordan is just getting this offense clicking. Last time he called plays against Dayton, it wasn't pretty for the Broncos - and they had one heck of a defense in 2008. Crosby hung 63 on Willis who has actually won a game this year and put more than enough points on the Hill. 

[u][b]Defense[/b][/u]:
Slight edge to Dayton for now. Dayton has better numbers but has played three teams who have a combined record of 0-7. They were bend and not break against Elkins who is average 5A at best this season. The Broncos kept Livingston in check, who was w/o it's starting qb. Crosby had problems with Nederland's power game that opened up 1 on 1 matchups in the secondary. However, Crosby shut down Nederland in the 2nd half - forcing them to punt 4 times and completely neutralized BH after a shaky first half.

[u][b]Special Teams[/b][/u] Edge to Dayton. Carranco is Dayton's best weapon.
[/quote]

Where to begin...

1.  Dayton's opponents...Livingston has lost two (to Dayton and to Kingwood Park, both of whom will beat Crosby in district); Elkins has lost two as well (to Dayton and a very decent Hou-Lamar team...both of whom would beat Crosby) and New Caney(I have no argument that they have much going on, but they do have one win...which is MUCH more quality than BH win over Mexico)
2.  We've had more injuries thus far this year than we had all of last year. So by the time we hit you guys in the mouth next week, we'll be full force. It will be a team that no one's even seen yet.
3.  Crosby's opponents...Willis has lost two (one to you and one to Navasota, who is decent [color=red]IN 3A[/color], and their one win you're hanging your hat on is to Caney Creek, the same team your dogging New Caney for beating; Nederland is good and they handled you guys (we handled them in a scrimmage, and thats all we have to go by...whether they were "full strength" or not); BH is horrible this year their two wins come from a horrendous Nuevo Laredo team and Lumberton who is probably the worst team in SETX, if not the state.

All that being said, you DO NOT have more strength-of-schedule than Dayton.  Im so gald I have more than "cougtalk" to spar with over there...I always love how you guys beat crapy teams and then think you're world-beaters, only to lose to Dayton and end up fighting for thr 3rd or 4th playoff spot and lose in the first round to 20-4a...those are facts

[b]But good luck with all that twin stuff you guys have...the only brother's that will be scoring next week will be the McBride's...first on the field, then on Crosby's women[/b][/quote]I'm just glad to see y'all are finally looking outside the family.

[quote name="dayton" post="1274382" timestamp="1347906205"]
One other fun fact for the stat lovers....

Crosby ypg allowed - 360    ppg - 17  Willis, Nederland, Barbers hill
Dayton ypg allowed - 177  ppg  - 6.3  Elkins, Livingston, New Caney
[/quote]our defense pts per game is actually better than that. One td against livingston was a int return. Sucked to because kenner had just scored the play before the int. Called back for a penalty.

[quote name="liltex" post="1273575" timestamp="1347806671"]
For Crosby to win @ Dayton would be a big upset,because Dayton has not lost a dist game @Bronco stadium in 5 yrs (incl the 20-4a boys)I know of.Been playing a tuff pre-dist sch for many yrs in preparation for big games like this playing Angleton-Ike-Elkins-FW and the games lost were close to the buzzer.That OL/Dl that beat Coogs last yr are all seniors this yr.Dayton team speed will slow down the big play Coog O.Dayton by 14+ cause we own Crosby esp @ home & in playoffs of the past ;)
[/quote]Well Tex, you better hope that record stays in tact. This is basically the first playoff game for both teams. I think we're going to pull out all the stops. The white elephant in the room no one is talking about is that if Crosby wins this game it almost assures them of a playoff spot barring a late season debacle. If Dayton loses, that 16 year streak is in grave danger of coming to an end. Y'all would still have The Creek, The Hill, C.E. King and Kingwood Park. I think 3 losses keeps you at the house this year with the 9 team district. I know y'all will blast me for this but y'all have one of your weaker teams in while. I know the scores and record doesn't reflect it so far. . . . but it's not Friday yet. 

[quote name="cougar14" post="1274397" timestamp="1347906843"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=103214.msg1273575#msg1273575 date=1347806671]
For Crosby to win @ Dayton would be a big upset,because Dayton has not lost a dist game @Bronco stadium in 5 yrs (incl the 20-4a boys)I know of.Been playing a tuff pre-dist sch for many yrs in preparation for big games like this playing Angleton-Ike-Elkins-FW and the games lost were close to the buzzer.That OL/Dl that beat Coogs last yr are all seniors this yr.Dayton team speed will slow down the big play Coog O.Dayton by 14+ cause we own Crosby esp @ home & in playoffs of the past ;)
[/quote]Well Tex, you better hope that record stays in tact. This is basically the first playoff game for both teams. I think we're going to pull out all the stops. The white elephant in the room no one is talking about is that if Crosby wins this game it almost assures them of a playoff spot barring a late season debacle. If Dayton loses, that 16 year streak is in grave danger of coming to an end. Y'all would still have The Creek, The Hill, C.E. King and Kingwood Park. I think 3 losses keeps you at the house this year with the 9 team district. I know y'all will blast me for this but [b]y'all have one of your weaker teams in while. [/b]I know the scores and record doesn't reflect it so far. . . . but it's not Friday yet.
[/quote]

you're entitled to your opinion, but...

I think last year's team was a touch weaker than this year's at least at this point in the season... 1. defense was far too young and not up to snuff at this point last year  2. not as many players on O that could take it to the house on any given play. The addition of this sophomore class has been huge.

Now... that's looking at last year in the rearview in 20/20 but i think that's pretty accurate.

[/quote]Well Tex, you better hope that record stays in tact. This is basically the first playoff game for both teams. I think we're going to pull out all the stops. The white elephant in the room no one is talking about is that if Crosby wins this game it almost assures them of a playoff spot barring a late season debacle. If Dayton loses, that 16 year streak is in grave danger of coming to an end. Y'all would still have The Creek, The Hill, C.E. King and Kingwood Park. I think 3 losses keeps you at the house this year with the 9 team district. I know y'all will blast me for this but [b]y'all have one of your weaker teams in while[/b]. I know the scores and record doesn't reflect it so far. . . . but it's not Friday yet.
[/quote] wow really? And you base this on what?

One of our weaker teams in a while. Based on what. Dayton returns 14 starters of a team that beat crosby last year. The sophmores on varsity this year are better skill position players than dayton had last year. Go watch our freshman thursday and see what you have to look forward to after fridays loss. Those 2 wins over willis and bh have made cougar14 lose his mind. Its one thing to predict crosby beating dayton but to say dayton could be left out of the playoffs. Man I want some of what your taking.

[/quote]Well Tex, you better hope that record stays in tact. This is basically the first playoff game for both teams. I think we're going to pull out all the stops. The white elephant in the room no one is talking about is that if Crosby wins this game it almost assures them of a playoff spot barring a late season debacle. If Dayton loses, that 16 year streak is in grave danger of coming to an end. Y'all would still have The Creek, The Hill, C.E. King and Kingwood Park. I think 3 losses keeps you at the house this year with the 9 team district.[b] I know y'all will blast me for this but y'all have one of your weaker teams in while.[/b] I know the scores and record doesn't reflect it so far. . . . but it's not Friday yet.
[/quote]

Just remember you said that because if the Broncos win, where does that put this years Crosby team?

And if we lose.....well, it was a down year.  8)

[quote name="dayton" post="1274405" timestamp="1347907162"]
[quote author=cougar14 link=topic=103214.msg1274397#msg1274397 date=1347906843]
[/quote]Well Tex, you better hope that record stays in tact. This is basically the first playoff game for both teams. I think we're going to pull out all the stops. The white elephant in the room no one is talking about is that if Crosby wins this game it almost assures them of a playoff spot barring a late season debacle. If Dayton loses, that 16 year streak is in grave danger of coming to an end. Y'all would still have The Creek, The Hill, C.E. King and Kingwood Park. I think 3 losses keeps you at the house this year with the 9 team district. I know y'all will blast me for this but [b]y'all have one of your weaker teams in while. [/b]I know the scores and record doesn't reflect it so far. . . . but it's not Friday yet.
[/quote]

you're entitled to your opinion, but...

I think last year's team was a touch weaker than this year's at least at this point in the season... 1. defense was far too young and not up to snuff at this point last year  2. not as many players on O that could take it to the house on any given play. The addition of this sophomore class has been huge.

Now... that's looking at last year in the rearview in 20/20 but i think that's pretty accurate.
[/quote]

So i think the biggest thing i'd like to point out is, this is the best and most athletic defense Crosby has had in a long time. Just go relisten to that coog/bh game the announcers couldn't help but talking about how fast the crosby defense plays.

one other note on defensive yards. The Cougars don't take anytime at the line, we snap the ball with 15-18 seconds left on the play clock, is Astin as good as some of the QB's Riordans had, maybe not passing but the thing he does extremely well is make good solid decisions, and he can extend plays.

Crosby's offense has looked better each week, i think we keep looking better each and every game, the Cougars will be ready for the Broncos.

If Dayton is marginally better than they where last year they lose the game, the cougars are substantially better than they where last year on BOTH sides of the field.

[quote name="Hawkeye" post="1274428" timestamp="1347908532"]
[quote author=cornhusker link=topic=103214.msg1274389#msg1274389 date=1347906532]
Gut feeling on this one. Crosby
[/quote]

Better go see the doc! I think you have an ulcer!
[/quote]I think he's been with smoking baby in a PNG teepee passing the peace pipe.. ;D ;D

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1274454" timestamp="1347909869"]
If crosbys d is so great how come everybody but willis has over 300 yds offense against yall. I mean yall out scored bh but it wasnt like they didnt move the ball.
[/quote]
i'd bet the time of possession has something to do with this.

[quote name="hitman009" post="1274322" timestamp="1347903328"]
[quote author=BellBiz30 link=topic=103214.msg1274260#msg1274260 date=1347899603]
[quote author=mikehoncho link=topic=103214.msg1272582#msg1272582 date=1347730583]
[quote author=Cap Rock Brewing Co. link=topic=103214.msg1272487#msg1272487 date=1347726796]
Crosby by 9.  Broncos would be really foolish to give the same-old Crosby beat down predictions. This has the makings of another good game. It took a 100 yd kickoff return to beat Crosby last year and then Crosby rolled down the field and nearly sent it to overtime -great play by Dayton cornerback to seal the win. Crosby had more yards last year and could've easily won the game.

[u][b]Offense[/b][/u]: Big edge to Crosby. The Coogs are averaging 200 more yards a game on offense and have played better opponents thus far.  The Coogs are averaging 35 points/contest. Dayton comes in at 31/game. Riordan is just getting this offense clicking. Last time he called plays against Dayton, it wasn't pretty for the Broncos - and they had one heck of a defense in 2008. Crosby hung 63 on Willis who has actually won a game this year and put more than enough points on the Hill. 

[u][b]Defense[/b][/u]:
Slight edge to Dayton for now. Dayton has better numbers but has played three teams who have a combined record of 0-7. They were bend and not break against Elkins who is average 5A at best this season. The Broncos kept Livingston in check, who was w/o it's starting qb. Crosby had problems with Nederland's power game that opened up 1 on 1 matchups in the secondary. However, Crosby shut down Nederland in the 2nd half - forcing them to punt 4 times and completely neutralized BH after a shaky first half.

[u][b]Special Teams[/b][/u] Edge to Dayton. Carranco is Dayton's best weapon.
[/quote]

Where to begin...

1.  Dayton's opponents...Livingston has lost two (to Dayton and to Kingwood Park, both of whom will beat Crosby in district); Elkins has lost two as well (to Dayton and a very decent Hou-Lamar team...both of whom would beat Crosby) and New Caney(I have no argument that they have much going on, but they do have one win...which is MUCH more quality than BH win over Mexico)
2.  We've had more injuries thus far this year than we had all of last year. So by the time we hit you guys in the mouth next week, we'll be full force. It will be a team that no one's even seen yet.
3.  Crosby's opponents...Willis has lost two (one to you and one to Navasota, who is decent [color=red]IN 3A[/color], and their one win you're hanging your hat on is to Caney Creek, the same team your dogging New Caney for beating; Nederland is good and they handled you guys (we handled them in a scrimmage, and thats all we have to go by...whether they were "full strength" or not); BH is horrible this year their two wins come from a horrendous Nuevo Laredo team and Lumberton who is probably the worst team in SETX, if not the state.

All that being said, you DO NOT have more strength-of-schedule than Dayton.  Im so gald I have more than "cougtalk" to spar with over there...I always love how you guys beat crapy teams and then think you're world-beaters, only to lose to Dayton and end up fighting for thr 3rd or 4th playoff spot and lose in the first round to 20-4a...those are facts

But good luck with all that twin stuff you guys have...the only brother's that will be scoring next week will be the McBride's...first on the field, then on Crosby's women
[/quote]Can't argue with this! ;D ;D ;D
[/quote] I can........."one to Navasota, who is decent [color=red]IN 3A[/color], " are you kidding???? Navasota is ranked 7th in max preps in the state, who beat Coldsprings, and Coldsprings beat La Marque...... I would say Navasota is better than "decent"...
And One big factor.... Coach Riodan.... put up how many points on Dayton in the State game??? (69)He is running the same OFF as then.... I believe he knows how to attack Dayton...
IMO this will be a close game... no blow outs unless one team shoots themselves in the foot with turnovers.... cant wait till friday..
[/quote]

Comparing yourself to SS in '08 is hilarious...coaching up the talent is one thing, having Tyrik "the freak" Rollison is another

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1274390" timestamp="1347906598"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=103214.msg1274382#msg1274382 date=1347906205]
One other fun fact for the stat lovers....

Crosby ypg allowed - 360    ppg - 17  Willis, Nederland, Barbers hill
Dayton ypg allowed - 177  ppg  - 6.3  Elkins, Livingston, New Caney
[/quote]our defense pts per game is actually better than that. One td against livingston was a int return. Sucked to because kenner had just scored the play before the int. Called back for a penalty.
[/quote] I see it says Barbers Hill had 507 yads of offense. I don't know where they got that from. Barbers Hill had 241 rushing and 70 yards passing, so 311 total. Ned had 208 rushing and 96 passing for a total of 304. Don't know the Willis stats but they couldn't have had more than 250 total. Defense is the best in a while. Crosby also has 730 rushing yards the last two games which is more than Dayton has total on the season. You have the Tyrik The Freak thing right too. I know what the recruiting services said, but truth of the matter is couldn't get on the field at Auburn. He transferred to Sam Houston and got beat out again. It's kind of like Garrett Gilbert being the number one qb in the nation when he came out. They took him out of that Lake Travis system and now he's ruining SMU's season. Coaching up talent is exactly what Riordan is doing. One thing he didn't have at Sulphur Springs is a back that could go for 2000. We'll see how good of a coaching job Riordan does Friday night. If he goes 2-0 against the Ponies it could spell danger for the Bronco faithful for while.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder