Best Multi Sport Star from your High School

In the case of Silsbee High School, it would either be James Hunter or Artie Shankle.

My vote would probably be Shankle since he was all district in football, basketball, baseball and district track champion in some events.

There is an argument for Hunter who was all state in football, helped lead his basketball team(was all district as well) to the state tourney (so did Shankle) and was a great track star in multiple events. Hunter went on to Grambling to become an All-American and play 8 seasons in the NFL.

Also of note, Desmond Doss is still the only athlete in school history to be district MVP in both football and basketball. He accomplished this back in the '04-'05 season, Silsbee's first as a 3A school.

I was a Baytown Lee grad but one of the best in Baytown in my opinion was Donovan Forbes at Sterling back in the 80's. He was an amazing athlete in football, basketball and baseball. He went to UT on a football scholly. Dang that was tough to say but he was good.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Eagle11" post="1248663" timestamp="1345654198"]
I was a Baytown Lee grad but one of the best in Baytown in my opinion was Donovan Forbes at Sterling back in the 80's. He was an amazing athlete in football, basketball and baseball. He went to UT on a football scholly. Dang that was tough to say but he was good.
[/quote]
Donovan was a stud. I played at RSS with his brother Donald.

Not sure about PNG, but I have one I played against in HS that is a no doubter from his school:

Jeff Granger - Orangefield class of '90.  QB on FB team and at A&M...400 Meter State finalist...All State Baseball and played baseball at A&M and on team USA and for the Pitsburgh Pirates.

Also a guy from SFA right before me that was a great two sport star was Allen Griggie. 1000+ yard RB on some great teams and could hit a baseball a mile!

Graylon Johnson was also a beast on the gridiron and on the basketball court at SFA.

I am not sure if he is the best as such things are so subjective but I think Dustin Hood from Nederland is certainly in consideration from that school.

He was all district in football and 1st Team All-State as a senior yet did not take a football scholarship. He played four years in high school baseball making all district shortstop three times and also as an all district pitcher making him all district in two positions.

Then he went on to play college baseball at Wake Forest and I believe started every game of his career including as a true freshman. He basically reached the very top of two major high school sports and it continued to excel in college in one of them.

There are a lot of two sports players in high school but he not only played but was at the head of the line.

But then you have to look at similar credentials from Eric Cammack who ended up for a brief time in the majors................

Joe Allen Slack early 90's at Hull-Daisetta. All-state running back, three time all-state guard in basketball, qualified for regionals and I believe the state meet in the 100m and 200m dash. Bad thing was, baseball was probably his best sport and HD didn't have a baseball program during his time in school. He played tailback at about 185lbs, but by the time he was 20, dude was probably 6'3" 230lbs and could still jump out of the gym and outrun anyone. He should have played big time ball.

Gene Walker was also an all-state running back and all-state basketball in early 60's at Hull-Daisetta, leading the Bobcats to their first state championship game appearance. I'm sure he was a track star as well. He went on to play at Rice and in 2010 was inducted into the Rice Athletic Hall of Fame and currently is a member of the Rice University Athletic Advisory Board.

I have only been in Nederland 10 yrs, but I would be willing to bet Walter "Buddy" Davis is by far the most accomplished 2 sport athlete from Nederland. Of course, he played basketball and track before most of us were born so many would not know his name. He graduated in 1948. All district in basketball and track, I believe he was a state high jump champ at Ned, went to college and was only 1 of 2 All-American 2 sport athletes from TX A&M. Was the NCAA high jump champion, went to the 1952 olympics and won the gold medal in the high jump. Was drafted by the Warriers in the NBA and won two NBA titles with the Warriers and the St Louis Hawks. I read in the later part of his BB career he was the back up to Wilt Chamberlain. You should be able to google his name for more accurate info. Oh I almost forgot, he was stricken with Polio at age 9 and beat that too. Maybe AWW will have a link since this guy was such a great Aggie. 

[quote name="Chester86" post="1248960" timestamp="1345685179"]
From the megatropolis that is Chester, 1982 graduate Bo Stanley.  He was a beast in every sport, and was a senior when I was freshman.
[/quote]

I know Bo very well, were neighbors here in Silsbee for several years, played softball together. He was a great athlete.

Can't fish worth a lick. ;) ;D

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1248886" timestamp="1345674774"]
for SFA -----> Eric Alexander
[/quote]

PAM is a no brainer...JC was maybe the best HS football player in the country and a superstar on the track!

Not sure, but other than football what did Eric Alexander excell in?

Dustin Hood was very good for Nederland as was Sullivan, but Cammack might get my vote. Poor kid had nothing to back him on the gridiron, but he still excelled. His Sr. year they lined him up at WR, RB, finally at QB because they just needed the ball in his hands. He also played some defense. And the 93 mph fastball was killer.

I know it sounds like a broken PNG record, but Dustin Long led his FB team to a state title game, was a very good basketball player all be it on some bad teams and was an All-District SS on a baseball team that also played for a state title.

[quote name="badndn" post="1248738" timestamp="1345661188"]
Not sure about PNG, but I have one I played against in HS that is a no doubter from his school:

Jeff Granger - Orangefield class of '90.  QB on FB team and at A&M...400 Meter State finalist...All State Baseball and played baseball at A&M and on team USA and for the Pitsburgh Pirates.

Also a guy from SFA right before me that was a great two sport star was Allen Griggie. 1000+ yard RB on some great teams and could hit a baseball a mile!

Graylon Johnson was also a beast on the gridiron and on the basketball court at SFA.
[/quote]

More on Jeff Granger:
Football:
In his senior season at OF (1989 football season) he was all state QB and ranked as the 2nd overall QB in Texas.  Was the starting QB for the South in the annual all star game and threw a TD on the South's first play from scrimmage.  At A&M he came off the bench in 91 when Bucky Richardson got hurt and threw 4 td passed against Tulsa.  In 92 led the team to a 4-0 start and top 5 ranking.  He recieved a concussion later that season and decided to give up football knowing that baseball was his meal ticket.
Baseball:
Was an all-american his senior season (1990) and led OF to the state tournament.  Most people remember him as a pitcher but he also holds the state record for consecutive games with a hit at 42 and at that time was one game short of tying the national record.  At A&M had 251 career strikeouts in 220 innings breaking Roger Clemens SWC career strikeout record.  Drafted 5th overall by the Royals in 1993.  Played mostly in the minors with a small stint in the big leagues.  His professional career never really panned out due mostly to nagging injuries.
Also in his senior year at OF placed 3rd at the state track meet in the 400M.

He may not be the best baseball or football player or track athlete to come from this area, but as an overall athlete, he is definitely one of the best to come from Southeast Texas.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124