2012 Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns Team Preview

[center][img]http://txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/H/HamshireFannett.png[/img][/center]

[center][size=18pt][b][u][i]HAMSHIRE-FANNETT LONGHORNS[/i][/u][/B][/size][/center]
[center][b][size=12pt]2011 Record: 2-8 Overall, 1-4 District (5th Place in District 21-3A)[/center]

[size=12pt]While many may not look at a 2-8 record and profess that progress has been made, the folks in Hamshire, Texas are doing just that as among the eight games were times when the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns provided a number of scares.  But like many other teams in the area, the Longhorns will be expected to maintain any momentum from a previous season with a new head coach as Kane Harris, formerly the quarterbacks coach at Midland Lee, takes over for Don Price, who has departed for C.E. King.  Harris has fourteen returning starters at his disposal in the quest to get Hamshire-Fannett into the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

[b][u][size=14pt]Coaching Staff[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Head Coach: Kane Harris[/b]
Coaching Record:  1st year at Hamshire-Fannett and overall

[b][u][size=14pt]Stadium Information*[/u][/b]

[size=12pt][b]Home Stadium: Longhorn Stadium[/b]
Address: 12552 Second St., Hamshire, Texas 77622
Capacity: 2200
Playing surface: Natural

[b][u][size=14pt]2011 Results[/u][/b]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Score[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Splendora[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]52-6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Anahuac[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]6-21[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Buna[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]21-56[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Huffman[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]10-41[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Beaumont Kelly[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]27-41[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]West Orange-Stark#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]12-22[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Hardin-Jefferson#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]60-6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Orangefield#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]14-28[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Bridge City#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]14-35[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Silsbee#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]6-24[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[size=12pt]# - District games

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Offense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Returning starters: 7[/b]

Hamshire-Fannett will have plenty of experience at the skill position as senior quarterback Dante Smith (2nd team all district, 104-229, 1374 yd, 9 TD) will return to the Longhorn backfield along with senior running back Jordan Brown (18 carries, 217 yards, 2 TD in 2011).  Smith will also have a number of targets in the form of receivers Darius Riley, Travis Appling and Brandon Kelley.  The biggest strength in the Hamshire-Fannett offense will be the offensive line which returns all five starters with Zack Garza, Steven Hubert, Cody Cormier, Austin Broussard and Zack Lowe all expected to see playing time this year.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Defense[/u][/b][/size]

[size=12pt][b]Returning starters: 7[/b]

The Longhorns have a wealth of returning experience on the defensive side of the ball as well.  Brown (2nd team all district in 2011) and junior lineman Blake Hicks will lead things on the front line.  Seniors Andrew Anderson and Jacob King will be joined by sophomore Alex Bell to man the Longhorn linebacker corp.  Appling and safety Tanner Williamson will anchor the Hamshire-Fannett secondary.

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Key Games[/u][/b][/size]

Hamshire-Fannett opens up the 2012 season by traveling to Splendora on August 31st.  The Longhorns travel to West Orange-Stark on September 28th to start 21-3A district play.  Hardin-Jefferson comes to town on November 9th to close the regular season. 

[size=14pt][b][u]2012 Schedule[/u][/b][/size]

[table][tr][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Date[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Opponent[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][b][color=black]Time[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Aug. 31[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Splendora[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 7[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Anahuac[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 14[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at East Chambers[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 21[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Liberty[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Sept. 28[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at West Orange-Stark#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 5[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Orangefield[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 12[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Buna#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 19[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Bridge City#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Oct. 26[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]at Silsbee#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 2[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]OPEN[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][size=12pt][color=black]Nov. 9[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]Hardin-Jefferson#[/td][td]    [/td][td][size=12pt][color=black]7:00 p.m.[/td][/tr][/table]
[size=12pt]#-District Games

* Source: Texas Stadium Database - http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=888
Helmets courtesy of: http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/

I expect good things from this group of young men this year as it will be an experienced Senior laden team. If the injury bug and grades do not plague them and they pickup what the new coaching staff is trying to do then this team could be a Dark Horse in the run for a 21-3A playoff spot. I have been waiting for this group to finally come together as a team. This group of young men have played well together over the last few years in Jr High and JV. I think we will take a few teams by surprise as they will be overlooking a good HF squad. IMHO, this is probably the most competitive team that HF has fielded in the past several years. Good Luck Horns, I hope you Seniors have a fun and rewarding season. I look forward to seeing you young men on the Gridiron.

Yeah that is a mistake, Blake is only a Junior. Blake is the nephew of Fulton "Flip" Johnson, former Buffalo Bills receiver. He should have a good season with a year of Varsity under his belt. I think they should give him a look at Linebacker as that is where he has played on defense every year except last. I bet he will see some offense, he is pretty quick for a big boy, his legs are thick like tree trunks. Get ready 21-3A the HF Horns are going to be competitive this year.  8)

Yes Sir you are correct, that is a talented group of Freshman, especially Kendrick. They are the only group I can recall in the last several years that have won back to back District Championships in their 7th & 8th grade years against the likes of WOS & Silsbee. I am curious to see if Kendrick and any of the other talented Freshman will get to see any varsity playing time. Good luck young Horns.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1240015" timestamp="1343305833"]
[quote author=imonlyoneman link=topic=101120.msg1239889#msg1239889 date=1343251330]
Kendrick King was as good of a 8th grade QB/Athlete that I have seen in a LONG time!
[/quote]

I agree.

One has to wonder if he will be a HF Longhorn or not. ;)
[/quote] He ain't going anywhere. HF fans will not let that happen even if we have to kick in some Green Backs to keep him, why not everyone else does it Ha Ha LMAO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder