Beaumont Kelly hires new head football coach/ Todd Holmes

Coach Holmes has quite a resume.

He played at Stephen F. Austin from 1993-1997.  In 1998, he signed a contract with the Calvary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League.

In 1999, he started his coaching career at Baytown Lee as an assistant and was head girls' track coach.  From 2000-2006, Coach Holmes was defensive coordinator at Washington High in Houston where he was also head girls' soccer coach.  He did a couple of year stint at Baytown Sterling where he was assistant head coach/defensive coordinator and head boys soccer coach.

For the past four years, Holmes has been the defensive backs coach at Elsik High in Alief and has also worked with the soccer teams there.

It looks like Kelly will be his first varsity football head coaching job.

Source:  http://elsiksoccer.com/Coaching_Staff.html

Congratulations, Coach Holmes and welcome back to Southeast Texas!

This is a good hire for Kelly HS. Even though this Coach Homes first HC job, he comes with lots of varsity experience and he is a former standout college player to boot. Certainly an upgrade for them from last season. Given that he is a Kelly alum with credible experience, it is a sensible hire by the folks at Kelly.

Humm, an upgrade from playing in the State Championship game?!  Interesting!

[quote name="Roger Korby" post="1235481" timestamp="1342134431"]
This is a good hire for Kelly HS. Even though this Coach Homes first HC job, he comes with lots of varsity experience and he is a former standout college player to boot. Certainly an upgrade for them from last season. Given that he is a Kelly alum with credible experience, it is a sensible hire by the folks at Kelly.
[/quote]

[quote name="Roger Korby" post="1235481" timestamp="1342134431"]
[/quote]

An upgrade from last year, what a stupid statement. Please enlighten us on that one. So what you are saying is, if this guy doesnt win a state championship this year then it wasn't a good hire, interesting.

Obviously, some people can't get over the fact that Kelly hired from within last year and hired the middle school coach, as evidenced by the Our Mother of Mercy comment and upgrade comments.  Fact is, Hartsfield was the right coach at the right time. He knew the players, ran the same system, and wasn't afraid to call on others when he didn't know answers.  Going to the State Championship last year should speak for itself regarding last year's hire.  I am enthusiastic about Coach Holmes as well.  This year's team won't have near the talent nor depth.  But incoming classes will be very competitive, assuming all go on to Kelly from middle school.

I don't know anything about coach Holmes. I'm glad that he is a Kelly grad and is getting his first chance to be the head man. Last year there were 17 senior starters and several very talented players among them. They also had two of the most experienced coordinators in the area.  Coach Rabb on offense and coach knowles on defense.  Clint was smart enough to let it all come together.  The mother of mercy comment is childish.

Coach Hartsfield is a good guy who will certainly gain valuable varsity experience at HJ under Coach Martell and grow as a coach. A good point made in the early comments is that he allowed the coordinators to keep what was in place. Coach Rabb kept what Coach Long had in place and tweaked it a bit to compliment the strength in their running game. Coach Knowles has deep experience and did a good job as DC. That team was deep with seniors and was going to do well with anyone as head coach as long as the current assistants were there to keep Long's basic game plan in place. Even though I do not know Coach Holmes personally, my "upgrade" remark is simply based on his bio that I read. He is an experienced varsity coordinator with a college and professional background. That is an upgrade for what he brings as a coach to his players compared to the hiring last season. I am sure if the roster was stacked this season like it was the last, the results would be darn near the same. Good luck to Coach Hartsfield and Coach Holmes this coming season. Like Coach Hartsfield, Coach Holmes is blessed to have the same assistants at Kelly.

[quote name="bmtball" post="1235581" timestamp="1342188176"]
Obviously, some people can't get over the fact that Kelly hired from within last year and hired the middle school coach, as evidenced by the Our Mother of Mercy comment and upgrade comments.  Fact is, Hartsfield was the right coach at the right time. He knew the players, ran the same system, and wasn't afraid to call on others when he didn't know answers.  Going to the State Championship last year should speak for itself regarding last year's hire.  I am enthusiastic about Coach Holmes as well.  This year's team won't have near the talent nor depth.  But incoming classes will be very competitive, assuming all go on to Kelly from middle school.
[/quote]

after this yrs incoming freshman class...the cupboard is pretty bare-------SAS doesnt look to have nearly as many boys playing as they have in previous years...not saying there is NO talent, just not a bunch...with a 2nd yr coach

...I think Kelly may be headed for some lean yrs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder