4A DCTF Rankings & Coaches Poll

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1232830" timestamp="1340713252"]
Im just glad manvel went 5a they had one of the biggest most athletic teams I have seen. I really thought they would beat aledo.
[/quote]I thought we had a great chance at pulling it off too, but our kids were more impressed with the stadium and the accommodations.  We played better in the 2nd half and made things a little closer.  Hopefully we can step up our game for these bigger schools.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I think the ranking should've went!!

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="1232943" timestamp="1340751964"]
[quote author=bigdog link=topic=100695.msg1232922#msg1232922 date=1340746527]
One playoff run probably is not going to get you in the rankings. Most of those teams are in and go a couple of rounds deep regularly.
[/quote]
You shouldn't rank teams out of how many rounds deep they have went recently or over time. You should rank teams over how good the team is. [b]Hell Central has great consistency of making the playoffs and we see how that did them last year.[/b]  ::)
[/quote]Don't remind me, please.  :-X

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1232996" timestamp="1340794986"]

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.
[/quote] ;D ;D

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1232996" timestamp="1340794986"]

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.
[/quote]

Hey were is Vidor on that list ;) They got robbed once again!

I wouldn't count Vidor out, but until you all beat Nederland next year, I have to just respect your team as being a strong 20-4A team who could beat anyone on a given night. Now when you beat Nederland this coming year, which I believe you can, you will earn everyone's respect including DCTF.

Me too. Can't wait to see how we match up to a top 10 team, even if it is at their house. I just hope we are at full strength at that point. After playing WOS, Dayton, Crosby and GCM we're bound to be a little beat up. I just hope we don't have any casualties.

• 2 weeks later...
BrenhamFan let me preface this by saying I really respect Brenham as a program and if you ask me Darrion Johnson is the best pure cover corner in the state regardless of classification.  My question to you is, given the discrepancy in talent in recent years (Brenham vs Dayton) and the on field production, if Jerry Stewart is the coach in Brenham does Brenham have a state title and how many? 

Preseason rankings are just fun to talk about but pretty meaningless. Teams that have a history of runs or a ton of talent returning get ranked. I was happy to see Vidor win their first playoff games since 64 but for the most part their program isn't known. Plus they were swept by the Mid-County schools last year. The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season.

[quote name="Mike Latorice" post="1234565" timestamp="1341800637"]
BrenhamFan let me preface this by saying I really respect Brenham as a program and if you ask me Darrion Johnson is the best pure cover corner in the state regardless of classification.  My question to you is, given the discrepancy in talent in recent years (Brenham vs Dayton) and the on field production, if Jerry Stewart is the coach in Brenham does Brenham have a state title and how many?
[/quote]

Not sure what the problem has been.  IMO, we should have atleast 1 maybe 2.  I can't say coach Stewart would have done better, cuz he didn't win one with Dayton either. (despite the D1 things)  We're missing a piece of the puzzle, that's for sure.....  I will say this though, if we would have met Buchanan's (Aledo) request, we would have atleast 2 titles by now.

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1234889" timestamp="1341940208"]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1234565#msg1234565 date=1341800637]
[/quote]

Not sure what the problem has been.  IMO, we should have atleast 1 maybe 2.  I can't say coach Stewart would have done better, cuz he didn't win one with Dayton either. (despite the D1 things)  We're missing a piece of the puzzle, that's for sure.....  I will say this though, if we would have met Buchanan's (Aledo) request, we would have atleast 2 titles by now.
[/quote]

You're right Stewart didn't win one either, but you have to admit the discrepancy in talent is astounding for two schools that have similar on field results.  Brenham has had 5 players go to UT in the last 5 years alone, along with numerous other D1 players.  Dayton's 3 best players in that period went to Nebraska, UofH and SMU.  I guess my point is Stewart always seemed to do the most with the least, while West seemed to waste a lot of talent. 

I think Buchanan is a heck of a coach.  However, he had arguably the best high school player ever playing for him the last 4 years.  Not to mention an elite o-line and the most underrated player in the state in Matthew Bishop.  I'm anxious to see how Aledo fares in the coming years. 

[quote name="bronco pride" post="1234987" timestamp="1341967831"]
Not taking anything away from aledos coach but jg had 11 rushing touchdowns against brenham and lm in 09 and 2010. Matter of a fact didnt he score every touchdown against brenham. Give dayton that kid and we 3 peat 08 -10.
[/quote]

He scored all, but 1.  He had 4 against us....

[quote name="Mike Latorice" post="1234980" timestamp="1341966534"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=100695.msg1234889#msg1234889 date=1341940208]
[quote author=Mike Latorice link=topic=100695.msg1234565#msg1234565 date=1341800637]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You're right Stewart didn't win one either, but you have to admit the discrepancy in talent is astounding for two schools that have similar on field results.  Brenham has had 5 players go to UT in the last 5 years alone, along with numerous other D1 players.  Dayton's 3 best players in that period went to Nebraska, UofH and SMU.  I guess my point is Stewart always seemed to do the most with the least, while West seemed to waste a lot of talent. 

I think Buchanan is a heck of a coach.  However, he had arguably the best high school player ever playing for him the last 4 years.  Not to mention an elite o-line and the most underrated player in the state in Matthew Bishop.  I'm anxious to see how Aledo fares in the coming years.
[/quote]

I think Stewart is a great coach (especially with what he has), but what I'm saying is, there have been times that West's coaching alone has won games for us.  Like lots coaches, he has his pros & cons.  You do have a good argument though.  Not sure how he would have done, but it's interesting to think about.

Dayton has a kid playing at ou now to. Itsfunny when I hear even dayton fans say how we dont have talent. Dayton has had alot of talent over the last 5 years for crying out loud we had a parade all american and a d1 qb on the same team. Also had a kid at running back same year who had the fastest 400 meter hurdle time in the nation.

[quote name="JohnSmith" post="1235130" timestamp="1342027015"]
We also have a ton of talent that went to the big DII schools as well.  Just because you don't go to DI does not mean your not talented.  I can see at least 6-7 kids this year playing at the next level.
[/quote]

and 4-5 of those having to drop out due to grades ;D

I've been watching West coach at Brenham for awhile and he has won many games on his good coaching alone espiecially the tight games against Montgomery in the last 5 years. To win state all takes alot things to happen- no injuries, turnovers, bracket with hot teams, etc. Brenham has not hit stride at right time but it will happen in time. Teams in our area would love to have West and they try to model their teams around his success. I personally believe that they need to take on tougher competition in the two out of district games to be ready for the later round playoff games. Teaches you how to win the close games, which have bit them the last few years.

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1235169" timestamp="1342032147"]
I've been watching West coach at Brenham for awhile and he has won many games on his good coaching alone espiecially the tight games against Montgomery in the last 5 years. To win state all takes alot things to happen- no injuries, turnovers, bracket with hot teams, etc. Brenham has not hit stride at right time but it will happen in time. Teams in our area would love to have West and they try to model their teams around his success. I personally believe that they need to take on tougher competition in the two out of district games to be ready for the later round playoff games. Teaches you how to win the close games, which have bit them the last few years.
[/quote]

I agree, we need more competitive non-district games.  As for the "later rounds of the playoffs", we need to get back on track and win in the early rounds first.  Maybe a loss or two during the regular season wouldn't be so bad....  All I know is that Coach West has done a great job, and I would take him over just about any other HS coach, including Stewart.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1233021" timestamp="1340810798"]
[quote author=PNGFan link=topic=100695.msg1232996#msg1232996 date=1340794986]

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Clowns will be clowns....at least we can WIN a playoff game. Looking forward to seeing the purple injuns at the Boneyard this year.

[quote name="robanadana" post="1235210" timestamp="1342039970"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=100695.msg1233021#msg1233021 date=1340810798]

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Clowns will be clowns....at least we can WIN a playoff game. Looking forward to seeing the purple injuns at the Boneyard this year.
[/quote]

Yall only get there once every 40 years, so I'm glad you used your time wisley  ;) BH has more playoff wins than Vidor has appearances ;D

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1235298" timestamp="1342095407"]
[quote author=robanadana link=topic=100695.msg1235210#msg1235210 date=1342039970]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=100695.msg1233021#msg1233021 date=1340810798]

1. Vidor           
2. Vidor             
3. Vidor             
4. Vidor       
5. Vidor             
6. Vidor 
7. Vidor 
8. Vidor 
9. Vidor 
10.Vidor 

Then everyone else.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yall only get there once every 40 years, so I'm glad you used your time wisley  ;) BH has more playoff wins than Vidor has appearances ;D
[/quote]

Would that be in 4A? 1A doesn't count. Playoffs 2 of the last 3 years my friend. Prospects looking really good this year as well. BTW, look at Austin Lake Travis' history.....

[quote name="bigdog" post="1235268" timestamp="1342062434"]
Don't want to rain on your parade too much Robadana, but Vidor has been in the playoffs 5 times in your history.
[/quote]

The past is the past. I reference Austin Lake Travis sir. My Pirates aren't anyone's cakewalk anymore and everyone in 20-4A knows it. We have a hell of a coach, the best fan base in the area and a bunch of kids who think they can and will win. That is all you need for victories.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder