Are strikeouts overrated???

What is a lot of strikeouts for a batter to have in high school?? I know in select ball we didn't care all that much so long as the player was making the pitcher earn them. After all we were encouraging them to swing just as hard as they could under control.  With that you are definitely going to miss the ball at times.  But even then we never had kids with more k's than games played. We always seemed to find them help and move on.

What do you guys think??

It depends on the kid's role in the lineup.  A high strikeout rate for a top of the order kid can hurt.  But a traditional power hitter / RBI guy gets a little more leeway (high risk / high reward).  A kid may average a strike out a game, but if he is batting .300 plus and doing his job, they are not a big deal.  But if the role is to get on base and be a table setter, their strikeout rate can't be that high.

Just one man's opinion.

IMO strike outs are a killer.  It is always better to put the ball in play and make them earn the out esp in high school baseball. 2 strike swings are a must. Lots of errors at this level. Plus putting the ball in play can make the runners advance or score.  You cant do any of these things if you are walking back to the dugout!!

[quote name="Sportsfan1968" post="1224830" timestamp="1337647782"]
What is a lot of strikeouts for a batter to have in high school?? I know in select ball we didn't care all that much so long as the player was making the pitcher earn them. After all we were encouraging them to swing just as hard as they could under control.  With that you are definitely going to miss the ball at times.  But even then we never had kids with more k's than games played. We always seemed to find them help and move on.

What do you guys think??
[/quote]
I think you should leave the coaching to someone else if that's the mentality you're teaching kids.

[quote name="forum" post="1225314" timestamp="1337783102"]
[quote author=Sportsfan1968 link=topic=100132.msg1224830#msg1224830 date=1337647782]

What do you guys think??
[/quote]
I think you should leave the coaching to someone else if that's the mentality you're teaching kids.
[/quote]

Amen, brother!!!

Well...there are strikeouts and then there are strikeouts. A three pitch strike out a wasted out, you can only hope the kid picked up something from the pitcher or umpire to help him next at bat. But, any plate apperance that goes into the 5+ pitch range is a productive at bat. The batter gets to see more pitches from the pitcher, increasing both the chance of a pitching mistake and wear on the pitcher. So, if a kid is coming back to the bench after three pitches, first thing I ask the kid is, "what did he throw?". Generally, if the kid has some idea of what pitches took him out, he can be better prepared next time. If he is coming back to the bench after a 6, 8, or 10 pitch at bat....good job stay focused and good things will happen.   

[quote name="forum" post="1225314" timestamp="1337783102"]
[quote author=Sportsfan1968 link=topic=100132.msg1224830#msg1224830 date=1337647782]

What do you guys think??
[/quote]
[/quote]What mentality would you suggest??  My point is you are not going to hit every pitch all the time. Strikeouts will happen and it's not the end of the world but 1 per game in my opInion is excessive and it wasn't tolerated when I Played nor when I coached. Kids got moved down or out if the lineup. I totally agree that they are unproductive outs. In addition batters should have a plan at the plate and good 2 strike approach when they find themselves in that situation. I have not seen very much of that at the high school level.  Curious if it was similar around. 

[quote name="Razor" post="1225453" timestamp="1337801719"]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=100132.msg1225309#msg1225309 date=1337782769]
Strikeouts are unproductive outs.
[/quote]

That can be true, but there are certainly other outs that i would consider totally unproductive as well.
[/quote]

That is true as well. However, the question is/was about strikeouts.  ;)

[quote name="Walk off" post="1225378" timestamp="1337792019"]
Well...there are strikeouts and then there are strikeouts. A three pitch strike out a wasted out, you can only hope the kid picked up something from the pitcher or umpire to help him next at bat. But, any plate apperance that goes into the 5+ pitch range is a productive at bat. The batter gets to see more pitches from the pitcher, increasing both the chance of a pitching mistake and wear on the pitcher. So, if a kid is coming back to the bench after three pitches, first thing I ask the kid is, "what did he throw?". Generally, if the kid has some idea of what pitches took him out, he can be better prepared next time. If he is coming back to the bench after a 6, 8, or 10 pitch at bat....good job stay focused and good things will happen. 
[/quote]

This I can agree with.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245