I think....

Titletown2 does have a point that Lamar needs to win in football, but not entirely for the reasons he gave.  LAMAR needs to win because they are not in a big media market and don't have a large enrollment.  And even then they may not get invited to a FBS conference, that's what App. State and Georgia Southern just found out.

Even if LAMAR stays in the SLC for a while, they can still expand the stadium to 25K+ and fill it, like App State, Montana, and other FCS schools do.  Butler, Gonzaga, and others have shown that you don't have to be in one of the big conferences to compete nationally in basketball.

I think FBS is inevitable for LAMAR, it just won't happen overnight.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="coachacola" post="1226925" timestamp="1338317742"]
Titletown2 does have a point that Lamar needs to win in football, but not entirely for the reasons he gave.  LAMAR needs to win because they are not in a big media market and don't have a large enrollment.  And even then they may not get invited to a FBS conference, that's what App. State and Georgia Southern just found out.

Even if LAMAR stays in the SLC for a while, they can still expand the stadium to 25K+ and fill it, like App State, Montana, and other FCS schools do.  Butler, Gonzaga, and others have shown that you don't have to be in one of the big conferences to compete nationally in basketball.

[/quote]

Coach, I have a bad feeling that if the big schools get their way with football and get down to 4 or maybe 5 mega-conferences that will then play for a BCS type National Championship (probably then they will do the playoff) in football, once they get this done in football, they won't stop there and they will work hard to limit the NCAA basketball tourney, and probably all sports.  There may be  second tier FBS which would include the Sun Belt and a few other conferences included in NC play for all other sports, but I bet they will exclude FCS caliber conferneces.  This as much as any reason is why LU needs to make the move, sooner rather than later.  JMHO! 

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1226830" timestamp="1338306058"]
I'm still tryin' to figure out why you all are so fired up about Lamar going FBS when the can't compete in the division they're in now? They may win 1 or 2 conference games in football. They did win the basketball tournament. However, they didn't make the baseball tournament and have been declining in baseball over the last 3 seasons.
If the football team doesn't make some signifigant progress this year, you can flat out forget about FBS. Football will determine if and when Lamar goes to FBS.
[/quote]Going FBS does not mean Lamar is joining the SEC. CUSA and SBC are currently a small step above the SLC. SHSU could rule the SBC with last years team. Lamar is building a program. I would rather Lamar build it at the FBS level. After January, Lamar will have 10 years to build a FCS. 10 years of playing Langston and MCmury.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1226925" timestamp="1338317742"]

[/quote]

Assertion

Size of the Lafayette media market is not exactly impressive, and that's never going to change.
Farmer's response

Farmer doesn't buy the notion that schools in or near major metropolitan media markets necessarily bring substantive media value to a conference.

"I think you have to dig a little bit deeper," he said.  I don't think it's realistic to say, 'So and so brings the Dallas media market to the table,' just because they're located (near) Dallas. And I don't want to pick on anyone."

Like, say, North Texas, which is bringing its claim to a Dallas media market that largely ignores it to Conference USA — much like FIU and a Miami media market in which FIU is a relative blip on the college and pro sports-scene radar.

"I can say the same for San Antonio, Miami, Atlanta," Farmer said, referencing one metro market — Atlanta — which is home to incoming Sun Belt member Georgia State. "I don't think they bring (those media markets) to the table.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120522/SPORTS02/205220326/Farmer-UL-ready-move-up

[quote name="LUFAN" post="1226904" timestamp="1338316257"]
Title... You need to do a bit of research.... We are in our second year of football we made some big strides this offseason getting upgraded coaches....but the rest of our sports have been getting better every year. We were 3rd in the commisioners cup this year in the SLC and the WE WON the mens side of the commisioners cup.. We can compete in the SBC, WAC or CUSA. We had down years in volleyball, womens basketball, and baseball but we are just 1 yr past an NIT visist and 2 yrs from the NCAA's for the wbb team and 2 yrs out from a regional tournament in baseball. Our golf team is 1 of only 4 fcs schools in the national championship tournament this year and we were #3 in the country in golf just 3-4 yrs ago.... We are getting better all the time.... Get your facts right before coming on this board and spouting your Lamar hating nonsense!
[/quote][quote author=UNLV link=topic=99866.msg1227052#msg1227052 date=1338343656]
[quote author=Titletown2 link=topic=99866.msg1226830#msg1226830 date=1338306058]
I'm still tryin' to figure out why you all are so fired up about Lamar going FBS when the can't compete in the division they're in now? They may win 1 or 2 conference games in football. They did win the basketball tournament. However, they didn't make the baseball tournament and have been declining in baseball over the last 3 seasons.
If the football team doesn't make some signifigant progress this year, you can flat out forget about FBS. Football will determine if and when Lamar goes to FBS.
[/quote]Going FBS does not mean Lamar is joining the SEC. CUSA and SBC are currently a small step above the SLC. SHSU could rule the SBC with last years team. Lamar is building a program. I would rather Lamar build it at the FBS level. After January, Lamar will have 10 years to build a FCS. 10 years of playing Langston and MCmury.
[/quote]

First of all, I'm not a Lamar hater, I'm an alumnus. I'm also a realist. My point on the post was that Lamar was not ready to jump to the FBS, yet. And no, I'm talking about the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, ACC, or PAC 12.
I know all about the minor sports LUFAN. I was focusing on the big 3 and more importantly, football. I say more importantly because, football success will get them into the Sun Belt, the WAC or the MWC. Having Pat Knight as basketball coach will help, too.
Yes, Lamar has nice facilities. However, if Lamar moves to the next level, they will have to expand the football stadium. One they can't fill on a consistant basis now. If the football team improves and starts to win that'll change.
As I said before, I'm not a hater. I just want Lamar to be successful if and when they make a move to a FBS conference.

I was there for Lamar in the 80's. When Lamar stop playing the Baylor's and the La Tech's and start playing Mississippi College, fans left Lamar. The same thing will happen in the next 10 years playing Langston.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1227053" timestamp="1338343732"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=99866.msg1226925#msg1226925 date=1338317742]

[/quote]

Assertion

Size of the Lafayette media market is not exactly impressive, and that's never going to change.
Farmer's response

Farmer doesn't buy the notion that schools in or near major metropolitan media markets necessarily bring substantive media value to a conference.

"I think you have to dig a little bit deeper," he said.  I don't think it's realistic to say, 'So and so brings the Dallas media market to the table,' just because they're located (near) Dallas. And I don't want to pick on anyone."

Like, say, North Texas, which is bringing its claim to a Dallas media market that largely ignores it to Conference USA — much like FIU and a Miami media market in which FIU is a relative blip on the college and pro sports-scene radar.

"I can say the same for San Antonio, Miami, Atlanta," Farmer said, referencing one metro market — Atlanta — which is home to incoming Sun Belt member Georgia State. "I don't think they bring (those media markets) to the table.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120522/SPORTS02/205220326/Farmer-UL-ready-move-up
[/quote]

I like ULL's Athletic Director's spunk.  I would rather have a dreamer that see's the glass half full than a realist who see's it half empty and can only see the reasons why it can't be done.

i want to win..i wouldn't care if we played D-3 football...i want to win! and right now we don't win...we need to go 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0 every year regardless of division... personally i enjoy playing SHSU, SFA, and McNeese cause i have friends that attended all of these schools and talking smack with them is something i look forward to....if we ever go FBS i hope we can continue to play these teams...but i wont be disappointed if we stay in FCS...as long as we WIN!!!  However i will be disappointed if we go FBS and go 5-7, 4-8, or 3-9 every year.

[quote name="WOS95" post="1227443" timestamp="1338439810"]
i want to win..i wouldn't care if we played D-3 football...i want to win! and right now we don't win...we need to go 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0 every year regardless of division... personally i enjoy playing SHSU, SFA, and McNeese cause i have friends that attended all of these schools and talking smack with them is something i look forward to....if we ever go FBS i hope we can continue to play these teams...but i wont be disappointed if we stay in FCS...as long as we WIN!!!  However i will be disappointed if we go FBS and go 5-7, 4-8, or 3-9 every year.
[/quote]

Strongly agree with this. I think Lamar would better benefit from being an FCS powerhouse as opposed to suddenly moving to FBS "because its the cool thing to do" right now." lamar is not prepared to make such a drastic move Imo.

[quote name="wbfan" post="1227544" timestamp="1338481983"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=99866.msg1227443#msg1227443 date=1338439810]
[/quote]

Strongly agree with this. I think Lamar would better benefit from being an FCS powerhouse as opposed to suddenly moving to FBS "because its the cool thing to do" right now." lamar is not prepared to make such a drastic move Imo.
[/quote]

+1 to both

[quote name="wbfan" post="1227544" timestamp="1338481983"]
[quote author=WOS95 link=topic=99866.msg1227443#msg1227443 date=1338439810]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The main thing I worry about is that a lot of the the teams I enjoyed playing moved on like the Ragin Cajuns, Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, the Mean Green, and now Texas State - San Marcos.  Just don't want to be left behind by any more of the teams I enjoy playing.  I even sat on "the Stage" in Arlington watching the Cards vs. UT- Arlington.

Even the great Larry Kennan teams in the 80's (one which beat a nationally ranked Baylor football team in Waco) didn't have the kind of records some are thinking should be the standard.

When Tubbs met with CUSA 2 years ago, I was thinking no way. Today, CUSA is made up of schools just like Lamar. It would be mad awesome to restart that Lamar/La Tech rivalry again.
Lamar, Tech, Tulane, UTSA, Rice, UNT, would put lots of traveling fans into each other stadiums and arenas because of the driving distant.

[quote name="UNLV" post="1227772" timestamp="1338516996"]
When Tubbs met with CUSA 2 years ago, I was thinking no way. Today, CUSA is made up of schools just like Lamar. It would be mad awesome to restart that Lamar/La Tech rivalry again.
Lamar, Tech, Tulane, UTSA, Rice, UNT, would put lots of traveling fans into each other stadiums and arenas because of the driving distant.
[/quote]

im all for being in a conference with those schools..but ill believe it when i see it... 8)

[quote name="WOS95" post="1227804" timestamp="1338528903"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=99866.msg1227772#msg1227772 date=1338516996]
[/quote]

im all for being in a conference with those schools..but ill believe it when i see it... 8)
[/quote]Not a bet I would take either. Fans need to put pressure on Lamar to try. MTSU is extremely loud about wanting to join CUSA.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder